Plusnet Discussion Thread

Soldato
OP
Just had mine connected and I'm a bit disappointed to be honest. The estimate was for 34/6.

2521939217.png

Plusnet website says my current line speed is 37Mb so hopefully my speed will creep up during the training period.

Of course this is all relative. My connection is currently 4 times faster than it was this morning :)

why are u disappointed, the upload is more than bt estimated, as for download, that perfectly normally for 10 days training speed can go and down. wait until after 5 days check again.

Soldato
OP
I don't blame ya Jamesbcd for leaving virgin media. FTTC is far better and I can see more peoples are leaving virgin media (because of too slow in evening, impossible to get HD in you tubes, expensive price, upload is very poor with virgin media)

I am waiting for mine to get FTTC unlimited with plusnet in spring 2014, still with plusnet ADSL2+ unlimited.

Soldato
OP
ConnorJoshua u had to request plusnet support ticket to get your upload uncapped. It take approx 3-5 working days for your upload to change from capped to uncapped set by your local exchange. It free of charge. Sometimes BT Openreach do it overnight straight away.

Soldato
OP
Leaning towards plusnet at the moment but not 100% sure.

I'm really worried about any potential caps, throttling etc, l need to be sure that's the plan they have in place, if there are changes does this reserve my rights to cancel or give notice?

Do they offer profile changes and tweaking of connection ? They are not anal like sky about giving out RADIUS creds so we can configure routers :)

Plusnet forum is very good of dealing with ip profile to match BT Wholesale ip profile with a manual request but it normally updated itself automatically. U can tweak SNR but it more risky as DLM might think it a faulty on your line if you kept changing SNR more often. It happen to me as I learn my mistake! There are no caps, throttling. I doubt that Plusnet will be changing their Unlimited to capping in near future. And I had no problem with Plusnet lately. ;)

Soldato
OP
Yes I agree as I cancel my sky tv as it ripped off. They even asked me to stay on with 12 months half price skyworld and 12 months half price HD. But, I told them I only take it if you willing to give me 12 months skyworld and HD for free of charge! They just hung up. LOL

Soldato
OP
I think the easier to activated phone line and fibre to the cabinet away from virgin media cable because BT Openreach only re-connected telephone line then connected fibre broadband. Because virgin media phone line and cable broadband had got nothing to do with BT engineer's work. (It belong to virgin media only).

My mate is leaving virgin media to join plusnet, wish him all the best of luck.

Soldato
OP
FTTC is always calculator 94.2% from the sync rate to get the ip profile rate.

Eg: Sync 79999K -> 75.3 Mb IP Profile (so it was up to 76 Meg)
Sync 39999K -> 37.6 Mb IP Profile (so it was up to 38 Meg)

The same goes for ADSL2/2+ with a calculator 88.2% from the sync rate to get the ip profile rate.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I used to have mini USB wifi N150 and it cannot cope with Virgin Media 100 Meg (only getting 45 -55 Meg) and I changed a new mini USB wifi N300 and it now getting 95-100 Meg)

So, I think either wifi with N300 or dual-band wifi, it will be fine under FTTC

Soldato
OP
Yep technology do change quickly. Humax told me to hold on with my current box there might be a new software/firmware to bring in free time, so I don't have to purchase a new box again.

Back
Top Bottom