Post Your Garden!

Soldato
@CaptainRAVE need a mini digger to get that lot out!!

I’ve armed myself with a new weapon for round 3 with the Bamboo. A Mattock!!

The main plant we planted has half grown under the fence making it near impossible to leverage it out!!

Soldato
There's 2 common types of bamboo, running and clumping.

One spreads like wildfire via it's running rhizomes and should be ripped out really. You have to dig down and remove ALL of the rhizomes.

The other, which most garden centres sell, do not spread. They stay in clumps.

Last edited:
Soldato
Shoot the bugger!
I caught this juvenile sniffing around my chooks last year..

s3B0LGg.jpg

They may look cute, but they rip chickens apart for fun.

Soldato
Ok. I bought a scarifier to do some some maintenance on a long neglected lawn. Well that’s out the window and I’m just going to wipe the lawn out and restart.

Ordered good quality seed and one of them compost rollers to help with the top dressing. Gone for Creeping Red Fescue, Dwarf Ryegrass and a Chewings Fescue mix. Not after bowling green and this will be my first attempt at a lawn hah.

Need to check out sprinklers for low water pressure!

Soldato
Thought I'd post my garden, mainly to revisit this post in 5 years and hopefully see a big difference.
Started late last summer so all fairly new changes.

0mTh06I.jpeg

Typical new build square of turf, unfortunately north facing garden.

2k6JyOs.jpeg

with typical new build mini budget patio

gbRGj6X.jpeg

First thing was to sort the patio out

xFdTMMR.jpeg

Went for a simple grey porcelain, much much nicer than old, and a userful 11 x 3m

srffLTL.jpeg

Better patio but still such a new build boring square. Decided to start with a shed.

iNmXYF4.jpeg

4x3m shed. Unfortunately I gave the base a tiny slant to help rain run off, which meant it wasn't a perfectly flat base, which meant the shed is a little wonky in places and the felt has a constant ripple..

gtJsSdv.jpeg

Next we dug a stone path, but the area was completed waterlogged, so made a stone soakaway and connected it to the main drain

jt17t5X.jpeg

We built some very chunky, two-tiered planters. The aim is to grow things a couple of ft higher than the fence, which would in turn block out lots of the houses on the left.

s8x0hdG.jpeg

SO much soil to fill them. Have since planted some cherry blossoms and flamingo willows on the back level, with some small acers between them. Hopefully in 3-5 years, that side will have grown nicely

HS6xiR1.jpeg

We wanted next go get some height on the back fence, and also enclose it a little more. Wife really wanted a laurel hedge. Again, 3-5 years should reach above fence height and provide some needed greenery in the gardens

Ndj1IKE.jpeg

Wet winter has ruined the grass but at least we've started to turn it into a garden!

Thanks for coming to my ted talk

We are very novice when it comes to gardening, so would welcome any tips or advice, especially around planting things to help 'enclose' us a little more.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fair play for actually planting stuff and making an effort, rather than paving over almost all of it then using plastic grass (spits).
What are you growing up the wall next to the bins? (clematis would look nice there).

Soldato
Fair play for actually planting stuff and making an effort, rather than paving over almost all of it then using plastic grass (spits).
What are you growing up the wall next to the bins? (clematis would look nice there).
Thanks. Plastic grass isn't for us.
That was a wisteria, had great growth in it's first year last year, however I wonder if the wet soil has killed it, can't see any buds on it this year :( Wife wants to pull it up, I want to give it another few weeks.

I actually tacked some wire onto the side of the house and planted 4 clematis. 3 out of 4 have reached 12ft already and about to flower for the first time. Just a shame I will only see it when driving past it.

Soldato
Lawn has responded well to some Miracle Gro 4 in 1 and killed off most of the moss..

cd8ScVK.jpg

Veg garden is starting to come to life (spuds, mangetout, courgettes, onions, shallots & strawberries already in), just waiting to transfer the toms, sweetcorn and beans from the green house when it gets a bit warmer..

xDZtAHp.jpg

Hurry up summer :)

Soldato
Thought I'd post my garden, mainly to revisit this post in 5 years and hopefully see a big difference.
Started late last summer so all fairly new changes.

0mTh06I.jpeg

Typical new build square of turf, unfortunately north facing garden.

We built some very chunky, two-tiered planters. The aim is to grow things a couple of ft higher than the fence, which would in turn block out lots of the houses on the left.

s8x0hdG.jpeg

SO much soil to fill them. Have since planted some cherry blossoms and flamingo willows on the back level, with some small acers between them. Hopefully in 3-5 years, that side will have grown nicely

HS6xiR1.jpeg

We wanted next go get some height on the back fence, and also enclose it a little more. Wife really wanted a laurel hedge. Again, 3-5 years should reach above fence height and provide some needed greenery in the gardens

Wet winter has ruined the grass but at least we've started to turn it into a garden!

Thanks for coming to my ted talk

We are very novice when it comes to gardening, so would welcome any tips or advice, especially around planting things to help 'enclose' us a little more.

Its a decent size garden especially for a new build. My only "concerns" -
  1. How high above the fence are you planning on taking your laurel at the bottom? If left unchecked, it would affect the sun on the bottom neighbour's patio area as the sun may be blocked around 10am-3pm from that direction (going by your garden being north facing)
  2. Same with the plants on the West side in the planters. If they are too tall, they would block the sun from your grass around 4pm onwards (from the West) and, given its North facing, the grass could do with all the help it can get.

I appreciate people want to make their garden their own but, coming from the other side of it, people plant trees and things like leylandii then don't bother maintaining it and, before you know it, its 30+ feet high and causing issues for the neighbours. IMHO, fast and tall growing trees/shrubs/plants are ok about a foot above the fence then should be topped to stop them growing up. This forces the tree/plant to grow sideways and thicken up the middle, giving you privacy without impacting the neighbours very much.

Also - once they get above this height, they are much harder to maintain and that's when it gets really bad as it some can shoot up very quickly to 60 feet.

Soldato
Its a decent size garden especially for a new build. My only "concerns" -
  1. How high above the fence are you planning on taking your laurel at the bottom? If left unchecked, it would affect the sun on the bottom neighbour's patio area as the sun may be blocked around 10am-3pm from that direction (going by your garden being north facing)
  2. Same with the plants on the West side in the planters. If they are too tall, they would block the sun from your grass around 4pm onwards (from the West) and, given its North facing, the grass could do with all the help it can get.

I appreciate people want to make their garden their own but, coming from the other side of it, people plant trees and things like leylandii then don't bother maintaining it and, before you know it, its 30+ feet high and causing issues for the neighbours. IMHO, fast and tall growing trees/shrubs/plants are ok about a foot above the fence then should be topped to stop them growing up. This forces the tree/plant to grow sideways and thicken up the middle, giving you privacy without impacting the neighbours very much.

Also - once they get above this height, they are much harder to maintain and that's when it gets really bad as it some can shoot up very quickly to 60 feet.
Thanks, all valid concerns. Back fence, we'd be happy with fence height, perhaps a foot higher. Nothing significant to restrict sun, more just to border the garden and provide something for wildlife/birds. Will quite happily keep it very in check.

Re west planters, we picked things that weren't particularly dense or large, therefore wouldn't have a significant impact on our lawn or our neighbours (who are good friends and I'm sure would say if they had any concerns). I believe everything in there now is at max expected height - as you said, just need lateral growth now.

Soldato
My first attempt at a lawn renovation and growing grass!!

Have treated with roundup twice and I’m now attempting to strip as much off as I possibly can.

Grass cut at the lowest level possible. Lawnmower couldn’t managed it at the lowest setting. It’s actually shorter than it looks.

First pass with the Cobra lol

Anyone know where you can hire a hay baler!! I’ve started to see bare soil. Looks like I’m going to need 3-4 passes before seeding.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom