Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Associate
It totally depends on what size of bar you need, what batteries you have already, how much you're willing to spend and how often you think you'll use it. I have the Makita DUC405 16" bar and it's been great.
Makita do good outdoor stuff and the batteries open up all their other 18v range.

Which makes excellent 'man maths' for other purchases....

Associate
It totally depends on what size of bar you need, what batteries you have already, how much you're willing to spend and how often you think you'll use it. I have the Makita DUC405 16" bar and it's been great.
I’ve a few Dewalt hand tools, 5v and two 2v batteries, I realise these won’t be powerful enough. We’re moving into a property tomorrow which has and open fire, 500ft garden which is bordering woodland. One huge fallen tree at the bottom which I’m beginning to realise is going to take a blade length bordering professional service call out

Associate
I’ve a few Dewalt hand tools, 5v and two 2v batteries, I realise these won’t be powerful enough. We’re moving into a property tomorrow which has and open fire, 500ft garden which is bordering woodland. One huge fallen tree at the bottom which I’m beginning to realise is going to take a blade length bordering professional service call out
I'm not sure dewalt do a twin 18v chainsaw like Makita? A single 18v one will be limited in bar length and power. So Might be worth looking at a makita package with batteries & charger. https://www.worldofpower.co.uk/makita-duc405pt2-twin-18v-brushless-40cm-chainsaw-2-x-5ah.html or https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/ma...35cm-14-brushless-chainsaw-inc-2x-5-0ah-batts . Stihl/Husq look very nice but are closer to £750 - £1000 for full kit I think.

Soldato
I've had a career change and will be doing a little work looking at cavity walls and what type if any insulation they need. I'll be needing a portable drill and don't know where to start really. Don't want to pay the earth but don't want something that's going to break. It will be to drill holes in the mortar to put in a borescope.

Soldato
I've had a career change and will be doing a little work looking at cavity walls and what type if any insulation they need. I'll be needing a portable drill and don't know where to start really. Don't want to pay the earth but don't want something that's going to break. It will be to drill holes in the mortar to put in a borescope.

Bosch Pro

That's all you need.

Associate
Possibly a lightweight 18v SDS. Most drill/drivers with hammer are very poor at hammer drilling and you dont want to spend longer than necessary drilling holes

Will you be drilling from inside or out side? As dust collection may be an issue inside and some have dedicated dust collection solutions - although these tend to be bigger and more expensive

Soldato
Possibly a lightweight 18v SDS. Most drill/drivers with hammer are very poor at hammer drilling and you dont want to spend longer than necessary drilling holes

Will you be drilling from inside or out side? As dust collection may be an issue inside and some have dedicated dust collection solutions - although these tend to be bigger and more expensive
It will be from the outside.

Soldato
I'm after a new ratchet screwdriver, my Wickes one is slowly dying a death.

Quite like the Wera kraftform ones, but I want one that has bits inside it and also ratchets.

The only one I can find they have that has both those features is this one

But it doesn't have the nice retracting mechanism of the classic (non ratcheting) kraftform kompact, and it looks annoyingly long to me.

Hence, spec me a good quality ratcheting screwdriver that has enclosed bits and either a retracting, or otherwise not too long overall length. I'm totally brand agnostic as long as it's good quality, ideally no more than £40.

Associate

Quite like the Wera kraftform ones, but I want one that has bits inside it and also ratchets.

But it doesn't have the nice retracting mechanism of the classic (non ratcheting) kraftform kompact, and it looks annoyingly long to me.

Hence, spec me a good quality ratcheting screwdriver that has enclosed bits and either a retracting, or otherwise not too long overall length. I'm totally brand agnostic as long as it's good quality, ideally no more than £40.

Milwaukee do a nice ratcheting screw driver with the bits stored in the handle.​

Edit: just see someone else already recommended the Milwaukee.

Last edited:
Soldato

I paid £37 for this in Nov 22 which was a good price at the time. Works great, really satisfying to use and the bit storage is useful.

Soldato
Should look at a vessel one. I don’t think they do one with the bits in the handle though but they’re the best and the ball handle at the end is class to use.

Probably not any help and annoying having to carry the extra bit holder with you.

I was all set to get the wera zyklop bit kit thing pocket set until I seen the price!! I’ve got a zyklop but just the standard one that comes with the maint kit.

Anyway, if I was in your shoes get this Bahco rather than the wera one. I got the one with the light on it, I’ve had it (searched my emails) since May 28th 2010 cost me £10.99 back then. I changed the battery once then just gave up on the little light so don’t bother with that one. For £20 it’s a steal and well worth it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom