Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato

Project farm did a review of ratcheting screwdrivers a year or so ago
I love that guy, his videos are amazing, informative, rigorous and no guff. All other youtube creators should bow before him.

Soldato
Aww yiss.

zvAnDBl.jpg

Soldato
Whoop. There was a bit of a weird pricing on Amazon for a Metabo 300mm table saw for €140. It's one of those "Not in stock but we'll ship once it is" kind of deals, but just had a proper order confirmation. Seems to be >€400 elsewhere

Not sure how the clamp mechanism works and it's unlikely to be as good as the Dewalt 745 i was wanting, but for the price i won't complain.

Soldato

The sorting hat hasn’t decided for me yet.

Currently looking at a cordless pruning saw and thought I’d use it as an opportunity to finally buy into one of the above systems.

Ryobi are doing a deal where you get a free 4ah battery with some of the tools, so for £265 I can get:
The saw
2 x 4ah batteries
Battery charger

Makita also have a similar priced bundle with their pruning saw that would include:
The saw
1 x 5ah battery
Battery charger

I assume 2 x 4ah will be more flexible than 1 x 5ah and I’m also conscious that most other products will be a bit cheaper going down the Ryobi route.

I’m not a tradesman, it will be general DIY, so I assume Ryobi will be fine for my needs, but wanted to check the OcUK hive-mind before taking the plunge.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I joined Team Lurid Green and I've been more than happy with all their tools so far with the sole exception of this. They're definitely better than bargain basement options and usually decently priced.

Makita have a reputation as better tools, but for the odd bit of DIY I'd go Ryobi.

Last edited:
Associate
I joined Team Lurid Green and I've been more than happy with all their tools so far with the sole exception of this. They're definitely better than bargain basement options and usually decently priced.

Makita have a reputation as better tools, but for the odd bit of DIY I'd go Ryobi.
Agreed, if you're only doing occasional DIY ryobi will be fine, plus having 2 batteries means one charges whilst one is in use

Ryobi have a good range of tools as well I think

Associate
I'm a Makita guy myself, but for casual DIY it's hard to beat Ryobi's ecosystem.

2* batteries is a must. They don't last that long when in constant use.

Good thing about Makita is there is a ton of clone batteries out there. Can get 2 6ah Chinese clones for the price of 1 OEM 5ah

Soldato
I'm a Makita guy myself, but for casual DIY it's hard to beat Ryobi's ecosystem.

2* batteries is a must. They don't last that long when in constant use.

Good thing about Makita is there is a ton of clone batteries out there. Can get 2 6ah Chinese clones for the price of 1 OEM 5ah

The clone batteries are rubbish. Don’t work as well and don’t hold a charge for as long. Even though they claim they are bigger AH batteries there not.

PF on YT done loads of tests as well.

Soldato
The sorting hat hasn’t decided for me yet.

Currently looking at a cordless pruning saw and thought I’d use it as an opportunity to finally buy into one of the above systems.

Ryobi are doing a deal where you get a free 4ah battery with some of the tools, so for £265 I can get:
The saw
2 x 4ah batteries
Battery charger

Makita also have a similar priced bundle with their pruning saw that would include:
The saw
1 x 5ah battery
Battery charger

I assume 2 x 4ah will be more flexible than 1 x 5ah and I’m also conscious that most other products will be a bit cheaper going down the Ryobi route.

I’m not a tradesman, it will be general DIY, so I assume Ryobi will be fine for my needs, but wanted to check the OcUK hive-mind before taking the plunge.

What do you think?
I like bosh

Soldato
I like bosh
I like DeWalt :p

In all seriousness, Ryobi is fine and they have a good selection of tools are fairly reasonable prices. While it may not be quite as good as the big 4 brands, it’s more than good enough for DIY. The latter is really designed professional duty cycles which is overkill for DIY. That doesn’t stop me buying it mind.

Soldato
I like DeWalt :p

In all seriousness, Ryobi is fine and they have a good selection of tools are fairly reasonable prices. While it may not be quite as good as the big 4 brands, it’s more than good enough for DIY. The latter is really designed professional duty cycles which is overkill for DIY. That doesn’t stop me buying it mind.
Yea even bosh is for pros really.

Cant go wrong.

Even titan is a good brand for DIY ers and if I ever needed a circular saw with table mount. I'd get the titan in a heart beat

Soldato
The main draw with going for a big brand like Ryobi or the the trade brands is the ecosystem.

Because the ecosystem is so broad, the chances of them dropping support for your batteries any time soon. For example, the newer Dewalt power stack and flex volt batteries are fully backwards compatible with the original 18V XR stuff from when they went originally went lithium iron.

Back
Top Bottom