Project "Generation Station"

Man of Honour
I'm going to need a bigger unit :D

You need to be careful, it's a can of worms that's difficult to close. :eek::eek:

This is what happened to my man cave over the years

This is around 2010

2013-14

The next three are last year

This is now.

Mega Drive (region free modded), Mega CD, Master System, PS2, GameCube and N64 are all connected to the Bang & Olufsen CRT TV and 5.1 AV receiver.

Wii, PS3 and Xbox One all connected to 32" LCD and the 5.1 AV receiver.

The triple PlayStation 3 set up is connected to triple monitors for Gran Turismo 6

Plus the gaming PC for sim racing.

Man of Honour
Amazing set up barmyllama.

We've just commissioned our architect to put forward our plans for an extension, hopefully they should pass. That will give us another 50sqm of room to play with in our house ;)

Thanks.

Financed a lot of it (most of the games, consoles and the Fanatec wheel base, rim, pedals and shifter) by buying large game and console bundles and selling them on, keeping a few items at a time for myself. Or just finding stuff cheap and flipping them for a bit of profit. Otherwise I couldn't have afforded to do it, certainly not in the space of time I've built up the retro stuff I have now.

If I had more room then it would have to be for a pinball table and maybe build a full size arcade cabinet for a MAME set up.

Man of Honour
That driving setup is superb barmyllama, Ive always wanted something like that but lack the space to do it :D

Thanks.

It doesn't take up much more room than the original desk and an office chair. Other than an office chair can be push up closer to the desk when not in use.

I actually replaced my desk and chair with the Obutto Revolution. There is less room behind the seat than there was, but not much. I does a decent job of replacing a desk while being far better for sim racing than clamping your steering wheel to the desk and having the pedals in the floor.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
A good friend of mine has offered up his original Mega Drive :D

Hopefully it's a model one? If so I highly recommend getting the RGB scart cable with the stereo jack from https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk

I'd also recommend getting it region free modded. Playing on a PAL system at 50Hz with a squashed picture isnt great in comparison. Especially the games that weren't optimised for PAL TV's and have slow music.

Soldato
OP
Hopefully it's a model one? If so I highly recommend getting the RGB scart cable with the stereo jack from https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk

I'd also recommend getting it region free modded. Playing on a PAL system at 50Hz with a squashed picture isnt great in comparison. Especially the games that weren't optimised for PAL TV's and have slow music.

Yeah its a model one :) thanks for the tips.

Soldato
There are definitely X to HDMI scalers available for playing the older consoles on modern LCD's but the last time I checked they were quite pricey (for a good one). I haven't looked for quite a while so things may have changed.

I would say though that a Dreamcast hooked up via VGA still looks incredible (relatively speaking) on an LCD. The difference to any other connection method is night and day for it.

yeah i've got my dreamcast going through a treamcast vga box to a hdmi converter to a HD tv - looks great.

Soldato
Ha I had that as my first TV in my bedroom. It was a 14" but a 'flat screen' so It was actually a 15", sole reason I got it (plus DVD player).

Also do you mega retro collectors not like using component cables where you can (PS2, PS1, Wii, PS3) and VGA on Dreamcast?

IMG_0001%20%28Custom%29.JPG

IMG_0002%20%28Custom%29.JPG

IMG_0003%20%28Custom%29.JPG

Last edited:
Associate
Been debating a retro game collection for some time now but always find something else peaks my interest (and finances). Would like to specially collect for N64 but I imagine finding boxed games is nigh on impossible.

Soldato
OP
Been debating a retro game collection for some time now but always find something else peaks my interest (and finances). Would like to specially collect for N64 but I imagine finding boxed games is nigh on impossible.

That's half the fun, finding the games :)

I still dig my gamecube out to play Zelda windwaker..its still such a lovely game

I've really been trying to get in to it, but the in-ability to invert the X axis on the controller is really doing my nut in :(

Man of Honour
You're really on a hiding to nothing trying to collect boxed N64 games. The boxes were made from the thinnest cardboard and were never meant to be kept. NES and SNES boxes are bit more robust, but it really isn't worth the extra money for games you intend to play.

Buy cartridge only and maybe pickup universal game cases and print off your own labels. If you want to display your games.

Back
Top Bottom