Project: Negative10

Permabanned
Hey everyone, it's been a few years since I last posted anything to these forums as I've been out of the custom pc game due to money shortage but I'm making a comeback slowly now.

My new build has been inspired by the fact I moved into a house with my partner and the only room I can have my pc in is the cupboard under the stairs so having a tower is out of the question. Especially seeing as the case I was using for my system was the phanteks enthoo primo. As you can see, this was never going to work!
9RfQENn.jpeg

Haha! My chair is like that on the arms and at the lower back!

Permabanned
Lol, yeah it's got worse since that photo was taken. I've also removed the arms & back because they kept hitting the table when I got up & sat down really need a better seat for in there!
hahaha it's not just me that has that issue with the arms then? I have to lower it right down to tuck mine under the high big ass desk I have. as I'm 6ft8 so I put a longer piston in the chair so I keep the hip/leg angle I require. so everytime I get it out I have to raise it up lol.

Associate
OP
hahaha it's not just me that has that issue with the arms then? I have to lower it right down to tuck mine under the high big ass desk I have. as I'm 6ft8 so I put a longer piston in the chair so I keep the hip/leg angle I require. so everytime I get it out I have to raise it up lol.
I took the left arm rest off because it was getting in the way when I got up to get out of the room. I then took the other arm rest off and because the back was only connected via the arm rests, that came off too lol. Now I'm considering just getting a static armless chair instead.

Associate
OP
A great looking build so far! Always nice to see creativity & DIY to the rescue.

I've been looking into a wallmount case to tidy up my rats nest of cables, but the few purchase-able options are pricey. Following with great interest. :)
Thanks so much! I've corrected the mounting holes for the psu now so that sits how it originally should have will get the GPU bracket sorted next. I may even order the side window too

Permabanned
I took the left arm rest off because it was getting in the way when I got up to get out of the room. I then took the other arm rest off and because the back was only connected via the arm rests, that came off too lol. Now I'm considering just getting a static armless chair instead.
Hahaha amazing! a man of my own heart.
I'm going go make a proper reclining bucket seat car chair. hate all these cheap Chinese tacky fake bucket seats. so tacky and overpriced. I'd rather use a real recaro and just add arms to it. so simple as well if you know how car seat rails work.

Associate
OP
Found time this week to get the polycarbonate window cut to size since the company I bought the sheet off didn't cut it like I asked them to so there's some rough edges I need sanding smooth. Holes drilled & threaded, so this is how it looks mounted. Pretty happy with it tbh.
tOaMH7f.jpeg

Once I'm done sorting the window, it's back to making the GPU mount which is also coming along nicely! That'll be later this week though probably.

| Side note |
I've got plans for this window & the proof of concept has worked so far, I just need to work out how to cleanly pull it off! Can't give too much away until its completed though

Associate
OP
Looks good :) What's left to do? Cutting, or frosting for the window?
Things currently left to do include:

• sand the window edges
• finish the GPU brackets
• make the psu cover
• figure out how to achieve the desired lighting setup
• work out how to integrate a clever power button
• begin weight reduction on the main metal plate

Soldato
Things currently left to do include:

• sand the window edges
• finish the GPU brackets
• make the psu cover
• figure out how to achieve the desired lighting setup
• work out how to integrate a clever power button
• begin weight reduction on the main metal plate

Cool cool - what's in the metal box in the middle at the bottom?

Associate
OP
Cool cool - what's in the metal box in the middle at the bottom?
It's not a box. If you look carefully, on the first page you'll spot in one of the photos near the top of the thread, the psu is being held up by two of those bits of metal. They used to be a one meter ruler & I cut them down, bent them & turned them into a bracket to hold the psu up lol. The one you're referring to is being used to hold up the current GPU bracket as the pci-e riser is too short to reach the board when the GPU bracket is at the bottom without that bit of metal holding it up. It's not a permanent solution don't worry lol

Soldato
It's not a box. If you look carefully, on the first page you'll spot in one of the photos near the top of the thread, the psu is being held up by two of those bits of metal. They used to be a one meter ruler & I cut them down, bent them & turned them into a bracket to hold the psu up lol. The one you're referring to is being used to hold up the current GPU bracket as the pci-e riser is too short to reach the board when the GPU bracket is at the bottom without that bit of metal holding it up. It's not a permanent solution don't worry lol
Haha - looks like one of those little mac boxes.

Associate
OP
Finally caved & bought myself a new chair. This one has rotating arms so I can move the left one up so I can leave the room easier. I also made a new desk top out of two excess pieces of kitchen worktop and as I was taking this photo, I realised I've accidentally settled on a colour theme for this build, black & white. I swear this wasn't planned :cry:

1B2OoBv.jpeg

Associate
OP
Been a while since anything was done with this build. Managed to scavenge some 90° steel from work recently, so using the angle grinder I cut it to length. Then I drilled & tapped two holes for the GPU riser bracket to mount to. Then drilled & tapped three holes to mount this new GPU bracket to the motherboard tray.

GPU power cable and 24 pin motherboard power cable both now get routed down and along the back between the GPU and motherboard. 8 pin power cables do a loopty loop in the corner & I'm not sure how I can do anything else with them to tidy them up? Eventually I will make the custom sleeved cables, which will help with tidying up. I just need to make a PSU bracket so it has a fixed location, and in turn means the cables have a final fixed length to be made to.

Current dimensions;
50cm x 41cm x 10.7cm

8mm to shave off until I've met my target! Two places this can be done are the PSU being swapped for a slimmer one and the GPU could be mounted further back in a revised bracket.

Would love to hear people's thoughts on how this is looking now!
I5OPiDr.jpeg

Associate
OP
After having the kit to make my custom cables for nearly two years, I finally found the time & motivation to get the 8pin eps cables done! Somehow I made an error with the length of one cable? It's shorter than the rest which I don't understand. It still, just about, reaches without tension so I'm happy to install it but I will redo it at another stage.

JKhfDsY.jpeg
XGtwLhX.jpeg
I bought less blue than I did red & green, but because it's been so long since I planned which colours would go where, I've forgotten. So for now I winged it but looking back on it I'm thinking to replace with two blue's with a green and red.

Associate
OP
This looks good but was there any possibility of fitting it behind the wall?
Do you mean the other side of the wall it's mounted on? If so, then no because that's an external wall. Other than mounting it on the wall behind my chair (like pictured in one of the previous photos further up) and using long cables to connect the monitor & psu to the sockets, this is the best position I've got.

Back
Top Bottom