PS5 advice, exclusives

Soldato
Hi,

So I got a high end PC gaming PC (5900x/7900xtx) but as I get older pc gaming is less appealing,

• constant windows updates
  • constant driver updates
  • constant waiting for shaders to build
very tempted by a PS5 as there a bunch of exclusives i want to play.
my wife already has a xbox series X

but i really want to play

• ghost of tsunmia
  • god of war 2
  • ronin
  • horizon west
  • last of us part 2
any thoughts and advice, looks like the slim is better console now?
any other good exclusives?

if exclusives are coming to PC ill probably buy them again

we be playing either on my LG oled 27" at 1440p or my ultrawide 1440p ( i know ill have blackbars)

tempted by the future of just running ps6/xbox series gen zyx :D

Last edited:
Associate
If you have never owned/played a Playstation before then there are a ton of great games for you to catch up on particularly from the PS4 era. Depending on how much free time you have at your disposal, or how good you are at playing games in general, it will take you 2 years to get through that. Other exclusives worth playing are the Uncharted series, Ratchet & Clank : A Rift Apart, Returnal, Demons Souls Remake, Bloodborne, Spider-man series, Death Stranding, Final Fantasy Remake / Rebirth and Gran Turismo 7. I'm assuming you've played God of War 2018 and the original Horizon Zero Dawn on PC ? If not, add them to your list too. Also, whilst not a Playstation exclusive now, don't miss out on Persona 5 Royal ( or the Persona series in general ).

As for the PS5 slim ; I own the original model and see no incentive to "upgrade". It offers nothing new, other than being slightly smaller. With respect to exclusives, Sony is bringing more of its titles to PC, and in some cases only 1-2 years after release on console. But there are still games, like Ghost of Tsushima, that have yet to appear on PC ( now 4.5 years since its initial release on PS4 ). So don't assume every Sony exclusive will come to PC ... or at least in a timely fashion.

Finally, my thoughts on gaming in general, is that if you have the disposable income it's worth owning multiple platforms ; the ideal combo is a high end PC and PS5 and/or Nintendo Switch depending on your taste in games. As I've become older I've drifted more towards consoles for the comfort ( and accessibility ) of sitting in my lounge and playing games on a large 4K OLED TV - sitting hunched at a desk just can't compare. But recently I have experimented with moving my PC into the living room - in response to a relative dearth of exclusives on both Playstation and Xbox/Game Pass - and it can work but takes a bit of tinkering eg. wireless keyboard/mouse, configuring Steam to "Big Picture" mode, making sure you have access to ethernet/wifi.

Soldato
As for the PS5 slim ; I own the original model and see no incentive to "upgrade". It offers nothing new, other than being slightly smaller.
This is very fair.

It's a bit more than 'slightly' smaller(about 30% reduction in volume apparently) but it fits happily under my TV whereas an original would have had to have been forced in in little breathing room :)

@smogsy The slim is better in size and has slightly more internal storage, I'm not sure there are any other differences - it's just the defacto PS5 in production now.

But as @xaldub says, if you can have multiple platforms then that's how I've always gone. Always had a pc and always had a playstation. TV gaming with the playstation and the pc for games I can slap mods on or vr.

I must admit, not touched my gaming pc for a while and won't until I pick up a new GPU. The whole mess the GPU market went through put this off and I moved pretty much full time to my PS4 and now PS5.

Associate
Hah, i just searched this topic, didnt think i'd find one so recent, as i'm kinda in the same boat.

I bounce back and forth quite often. More so recently by slightly upgrading my pc last year. I’m already thinking about ditching the pc and coming back to console. I know my pc is more powerful and will give a much better experience, but upgrades are always on the mind. I start pricing out new builds(still in am4, so I’ll need to upgrade at some point) and it just becomes a ridiculous price. I keep asking myself “it is overall better, but is it £2k more expensive better?”

The wave of realisation hit me earlier in the week when I started downloading forza motorsport, once installed, I’m sure it had about 20 or more minutes of shader building(ended up taking the dog out for a walk because I was bored of waiting) and then when I did get into the game, what was I doing? Tweaking setting to get the best graphics and high fps. Wasn’t for a while after that I was able to just sit and play. As opposed to the night after installing it on the XSX and just getting straight into the game.

I’m 40 this year, think I’m leaning toward a more casual gaming experience. I’m usually gaming a few nights a week, last think I want to be doing is tweaking and waiting.

I’ve got Hogwarts legacy downloaded, that was the game that made me upgrade my gpu last year, I’ll see how that plays on the Xbox now after updates.

Soldato
First PS5, just get the slim, I see no reason to get the original. The slim is smaller and has slightly more storage. And you will have great time with all them exclusives you mentioned.

Soldato
PS Plus Extra is worth subscribing to for a year if you're a new owner, there's a good amount of games on there including several exclusives. If you do decide to buy digital subscriptions/games/DLC though, buy discounted wallet top-ups via ShopTo etc then redeem them on your PSN account.

Caporegime
I've not looked at Ronin, but it's worth it just for the others alone. All incredible games.

I'd add Returnal and the Uncharted games to the list too.

Permabanned
I've also gone off pc gaming. I bought a ps5 last week and I absolutely love it. I am addicted to Gran Turismo 7 right now. It's absolutely incredible. I am really impressed at how fast the console is too as well as its features. Playing in HDR on my 50" 4k Samsung looks amazing too, added bonus, my Samsung smart remote also works on the PS5 to my surprise. So it's an all in one media center. Really happy it has the Sky Go app too. I can't be bothered with pc gaming much anymore I just prefer casual and sitting with controller, also, the controller is brilliant too.

Highly recommend as you sound like a similar situation to me.

Last edited:
Associate
I've also gone off pc gaming. I bought a ps5 last week and I absolutely love it. I am addicted to Gran Turismo 7 right now. It's absolutely incredible. I am really impressed at how fast the console is too as well as its features. Playing in HDR on my 50" 4k Samsung looks amazing too, added bonus, my Samsung smart remote also works on the PS5 to my surprise. So it's an all in one media center. Really happy it has the Sky Go app too. I can't be bothered with pc gaming much anymore I just prefer casual and sitting with controller, also, the controller is brilliant too.

Highly recommend as you sound like a similar situation to me.
Yeah I’m gonna be testing games over the weekend, but I’m sure I’ll be selling the pc next week haha

Associate
The disc version is worth it if you don't have a 4k blu-ray player. I bought mine as a 4k media centre, but it's seeing a lot more gaming than I expected.

Final Fantasy 16 and 7 are worth a look, as is God of War. V

Soldato
I treated myself to a second hand PS5 for similar reasons:
  • ghost of tsunmia
  • god of war 2
  • horizon west
  • last of us part 2
Got these second hand and PS5 pretty much for the price of a new one (well TLOU2 upgrade only as still had my unplayed sealed ps4 version). So far really enjoying it; although i probably use the PC more still.

Edit:- Loved God of War on PC pretty much reason why I bought

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So got a ps5 slim

I’ve got on my ps5 (mostly through wallet gift cards through cdkeys)
Ps5 essential for 12 months
God of war rag
Rocket league
Disney speed storm
Steel rising
Foamstars
Far san Andrea’s (og) version
Red dead redemption 1 & 2
Horizon forbidden west
Spiderman2
The last of us part 1 & 2
Ghost of tsunamia

Any other recommendations?

Time to get a 4tb ssd I think

Soldato
So got a ps5 slim

I’ve got on my ps5 (mostly through wallet gift cards through cdkeys)
Ps5 essential for 12 months
God of war rag
Rocket league
Disney speed storm
Steel rising
Foamstars
Far san Andrea’s (og) version
Red dead redemption 1 & 2
Horizon forbidden west
Spiderman2
The last of us part 1 & 2
Ghost of tsunamia

Any other recommendations?

Time to get a 4tb ssd I think

Think this was a timed exclusive but add Stray to your list.
Pacific Drive might be your thing as well, currently playing it myself, really good so far.

Last edited:
Soldato
ps+ extra has loads more games on it, and is worth considering.

Returnal
Demons souls
nier repllcant
nfs unbound

Soldato
Hi,

So I got a high end PC gaming PC (5900x/7900xtx) but as I get older pc gaming is less appealing,

• constant windows updates
  • constant driver updates
  • constant waiting for shaders to build

Ok, first thing I'll say to you is, get a PS5. I was in the same boat.

My PC was an old 5ghz i7 2600k Sandybridge with a 1070GTX. Still a fast af machine for everytday tasks and I'll whack Linux on it at some point this year. It is now at my mums place should I stay over and wish to do some gaming. It manages all my games like Division2, Satisfactory, my steam library fine. My main issue was the utter tripe that is Windows today. It is a Windows 10 machine but I was sick to death of the OS - it was more of a nuisance than an OS. Games are only as good as the OS that drives them and windows for me now is just rubbish. I grabbed a 24GB M2 Mac Mini last year and haven't regretted it at all - the OS lets me do everything I need to and.....actually respects my user settings how about that. Rant over.

For gaming I got the PS5 - best decision ever. I am not an MP gamer...at 49yrs I've done my share of online gaming and my time is now precious so I prefer single player games with a nice crafted story. I also grabbed PSN+ Extra last year, which I let expire just recently because I have a backlog of too many games and I wasn't impressed with the price hike to £99 a year. In the year and a half I've had my PS5 I've played/finished more games than my mates with PC's because of zero tinkering.

At my age - I just want to play games. I care not for tinkering around with ini's and cfg's - I did all that lark during the Doom era. I don't want to download a gig of display driver analytic bloat just play a game, I just want to click and play. The PS5 is stupidly fast for load speeds and the controller is brilliant (crap battery life though). Like my Mac, the PS5 is silent so it sits on my gaming desk and doesn't disturb the wife when I game whilst she watches TV next to me.

Only thing I miss from the PC? Mods.

Last edited:
Soldato
The PS5 is stupidly fast for load speeds and the controller is brilliant (crap battery life though).

Yeah its really sucks, especially when I know how good the battery life is on my series x pad.

But that reminds me I just recently got the ps5 slim and had forgot I need to go into the settings and reduce the light output on the pad and reduce anything else like vibration if possible to help with battery life.

Back
Top Bottom