PSVR 2, anyone interested?

Associate
Oled currently doesn't work well with pancake lenses. It's not bright enough.

Hopefully that will be overcome in a generation or two.
I keep hearing that the lenses in the quest 3 are a game changer. Need to do some reading to get up to date on the scene really.
The psvr 2 uses fresnel, like the Vive?

Associate
not saying you are wrong but..... what is the compromise with the pancake lenses in the Q Pro and Q3? they seem incredible to me (on my quest pro, still not used a 3 yet)
the lenses are decent, but its just one part of the package you have screen resolution/eye tracking/compression/FoV/inside out tracking/controllers/local dimming/brightness/colour/comfort/price

what other headsets have you tried?

Soldato
the lenses are decent, but its just one part of the package you have screen resolution/eye tracking/compression/FoV/inside out tracking/controllers/local dimming/brightness/colour/comfort/price

what other headsets have you tried?
I have owned ( ** still got now )

Rift DK2
rift CV1
Reverb G2
Quest 2 **
Quest Pro **

i have tried enough to have an opinion

rift DK1
HTC Vive
Quest 1

so a fair bunch but mostly older models - then i had a kid and priorities changed!.

but the quest pro has blown me away (so much so i often use it as a media viewer rather than a 70 inch TV) and i have nt seen any artefacts when set up well, and the tracking has been flawless.

Last edited:
Soldato
The main reason PSVR2 doesn't have pancake lenses is that those lenses absorb a huge amount of light.

You can't have HDR OLED displays and pancake lenses and experience the full brightness and dynamic range because of this.

Those headsets which do pair OLED (Or MicroOLED) displays with pancake lenses tend to suffer from poorer brightness, glare and smaller sweet spots due to the compromises needed to get the lenses working with OLED. (BigScreen Beyond and Apple Vision Pro both have this.).

Also the OLED displays on PSVR2 have pentile subpixels which reduces effective resolution and can cause colour fringing.

That said, the HDR on PSVR2 is supposed to be amazing. Really incredible levels of brightness and contrast.

Soldato
The main reason PSVR2 doesn't have pancake lenses is that those lenses absorb a huge amount of light.

You can't have HDR OLED displays and pancake lenses and experience the full brightness and dynamic range because of this.

Those headsets which do pair OLED (Or MicroOLED) displays with pancake lenses tend to suffer from poorer brightness, glare and smaller sweet spots due to the compromises needed to get the lenses working with OLED. (BigScreen Beyond and Apple Vision Pro both have this.).

Also the OLED displays on PSVR2 have pentile subpixels which reduces effective resolution and can cause colour fringing.

That said, the HDR on PSVR2 is supposed to be amazing. Really incredible levels of brightness and contrast.
will be interesting to see if the rumours of the quest pro 2 / quest 4 being a collab with LG are true.

i dont see Meta backtracking on pancake lenses... but if LG supply the screens surely it will mean OLED?

IF the PSVR2 is officially supported on PC however a colleague at work will be buying one,.... if that happens i look forward to seeing it in action. (i wont be buying one however)

Last edited:
Soldato
will be interesting to see if the rumours of the quest pro 2 / quest 4 being a collab with LG are true.

i dont see Meta backtracking on pancake lenses... but if LG supply the screens surely it will mean OLED?

It might be MicroLED, which offer a lot of advantages over OLED (though OLED still has superior black levels)
LG are producing large MicroLED displays so they are invested in the technology.

Associate
so a fair bunch but mostly older models - then i had a kid and priorities changed!.
yeah so you are comparing backwards based on your experience, try a Crystal and see what you think maybe take the Quest Pro with you. I'm not saying the Crystal is the perfect headset (it has its compromises too they all do) but you'll soon see the image compromises in the Pro

Soldato
yeah so you are comparing backwards based on your experience, try a Crystal and see what you think maybe take the Quest Pro with you. I'm not saying the Crystal is the perfect headset (it has its compromises too they all do) but you'll soon see the image compromises in the Pro

Yeah Crystal looks amazing... Apart from the form factor. Plus Pimax have a spotty reputation for supporting their previous headsets, but this seems to be improving for Crystal.

If I could get Crystal resolution and FOV in a Quest Pro form factor then I'd be very happy. Trouble is no one has made the 'perfect' headset yet, not even Apple (despite the hype).

Soldato
if i get the opportunity i probably will however that is kind of a dangerous step and i may end up regretting it!. There are features about the quest pro i really like that i do not want to give up, so exposing myself to an even higher end experience than the quest pro could end up spoiling the quest pro, whilst still not really availing me to a complete package which will replace it.

Last edited:
Associate
if i get the opportunity i probably will however that is kind of a dangerous step and i may end up regretting it!. There are features about the quest pro i really like that i do not want to give up, so exposing myself to an even higher end experience than the quest pro could end up spoiling the quest pro, whilst still not really availing me to a complete package which will replace it.
come up to Norfolk and find out ;) bring ur Pro

Associate
thanks for the offer it's very kind but I am way too lazy to do that ;)
ok but try it and you will see yourself
I'm not anti Meta btw the day they release a product that meets my needs I'll be on it like a rash, I am anti-Meta influencers thou those guys can "****" right off cos they spread bias and misinformation which sours the VR community imho

Soldato
ok but try it and you will see yourself
I'm not anti Meta btw the day they release a product that meets my needs I'll be on it like a rash, I am anti-Meta influencers thou those guys can "****" right off cos they spread bias and misinformation which sours the VR community imho
as a company I am no fan of meta, but they are the main reason why vr hasn't failed already imo.
companies like HTC or pimax can't be expected to be the majority catalysts,.it's the likes of Sony, microsoft and valve who I believe have failed to deliver.

both have produced / funded some decent hardware AND they have the software chops to really push it on..... but aside from a couple of (incredible) titles they have failed to do so.

meta are the only company who have continually seeded vr software development.... sadly no longer for pcvr and that really disappoints but it's still better than nowt imo.

the quest 3 may not be the best headset out there..... but it's still very good and the bang for your buck is unmatched.
I say this not as a meta fanboy,.quite the opposite but to me it just seems the obvious truth.

Back
Top Bottom