PSVR 2, anyone interested?

Soldato
OP
This is great news.!
I just got PSVR2 few days ago and I have to say playing RE Village was one of the best VR gaming experiences I have ever had if not the best gaming experiences period.!
The pure blacks in horror games are a must and headsets like Quest 3 just can’t get the atmosphere right with raised blacks.
Active triggers and vibrating headset just add to the experience and the brightness and contrast are just lovely.
This really feels like HDR.

Aren't you triggered by the fresnel lenses?
50743288142_4132b2c759_o_d.gif

Soldato
Less VR-ness

The fact that Sony says it's looking at some form of PC VR compatibility doesn't seem like a coincidence does it? Few if any first party titles will make the PSVR2 less appealing compared to Meta and Steam VR headsets.

They need content and they're not going to provide it unfortunately.

Last edited:
Associate
It sure seems like they're just going to do the minimum to keep the headset afloat. I was hoping there might be a further wave of support from their studios.

Associate
It sure seems like they're just going to do the minimum to keep the headset afloat. I was hoping there might be a further wave of support from their studios.
Yeah it’s very sad that there might be no more exclusive games and I hope the pcvr compatibility will come in the form of a dongle and not some rubbish streaming software.

Soldato
is the headset itself any good?

Yes, it's one of the only affordable high res OLED HDR 120hz headsets on the market, has a wire so the image is uncompressed and has haptics in the headset, and it has eye tracking too for both gameplay features and also foveated rendering.

It does have fresnel lenses with a small sweet spot though and the OLED panels can exhibit smear and mura.

However connecting this to a high end PC will negate two of the biggest issues running PS5 VR games - reprojection and not running at native resolution.

Last edited:
Associate
Before the recent update the headset was discoverable by Windows and was shown in Nvidia drivers panel as a 1080p 120hz HDR monitor. You could view the desktop from in the headset on a floating screen and the tracking would correctly track your head movement.

After the update the headset doesn't show up in Windows display manager or Nvidia driver panel at all. I get 10x PSVR2 devices needing attention in device manager and I get a replaying animation inside the headset telling me to remove the headset and look at the monitor.

I have a feeling the drivers are coming quite soon. I used the breakout box from my Varjo Aero to connect the headset to the PC.

Soldato
Associate
You think people won't pay another £100-150 to get an OLED HDR headset on PC? They pay £1100 for BSB with worse specs @ 90hz and then you need base stations and controllers.

Last edited:
Associate
I thought PSVR2 was an excellent headset. I sent mine back only because my PS5 had nowhere near enough grunt to drive it. An OLED HDR capable VR would be great, especially dark horror games. Am thinking with Nvidia’s RTX HDR injector plus UEVR they’ll be plenty to play

Associate
You think people won't pay another £100-150 to get an OLED HDR headset on PC? They pay £1100 for BSB with worse specs @ 90hz and then you need base stations and controllers.
I was surprised to find out that they dropped OLED for the quest headsets. I thought we'd be going forward, not back...

Back
Top Bottom