Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Don
^imo, no need to do the whole USB stick thing any more. It was to avoid corruption on the Pi1. This issue has been sorted.

I went from a USB/SD combo on the Pi1 to a SD only setup on my Pi2, never looked back.

Just get a good quality 5 Volt 2 Amp PSU (thepithut) and a non-fake microSD card (ie, don't use ebay or an Amazon reseller)

Soldato
The Zeroes sound pretty cool. I'm thinking about getting the loft insulated and then getting mains electricity and network cables run up there to store my server and future NAS. However I'd like to keep an eye on the temperatures up there to watch out for summer and winter extremes. I'd like to have a Zero linked up to a temperature sensor and then either remote into it for checking the temps or get another Zero downstairs with a mini screen that is connected to the loft Zero and displays the temperature.

How easy would this be to do and would 2 Zeroes do it?

Man of Honour
The Zeroes sound pretty cool. I'm thinking about getting the loft insulated and then getting mains electricity and network cables run up there to store my server and future NAS. However I'd like to keep an eye on the temperatures up there to watch out for summer and winter extremes. I'd like to have a Zero linked up to a temperature sensor and then either remote into it for checking the temps or get another Zero downstairs with a mini screen that is connected to the loft Zero and displays the temperature.

How easy would this be to do and would 2 Zeroes do it?

I already have a Pi Model B doing this

Using DS18B20 sensors which are digital and can be daisy chained then use Munin with a simple bash script to collect the data

http://monitoring.baucutt.me/baucutt.me/pi.baucutt.me/index.html#sensors

I still need to protect the outside sensor form sunlight as it warms the temperature, mainly done as something to play around with

Soldato
I already have a Pi Model B doing this

Using DS18B20 sensors which are digital and can be daisy chained then use Munin with a simple bash script to collect the data

http://monitoring.baucutt.me/baucutt.me/pi.baucutt.me/index.html#sensors

I still need to protect the outside sensor form sunlight as it warms the temperature, mainly done as something to play around with
Nice one. Would the Zero be capable of this? Spending £26 or whatever a normal RP is seems a bit overkill for a simple temperature monitor but £4 for each Zero I'd use seems a bargain. :)

Soldato
^imo, no need to do the whole USB stick thing any more. It was to avoid corruption on the Pi1. This issue has been sorted.

I went from a USB/SD combo on the Pi1 to a SD only setup on my Pi2, never looked back.

Just get a good quality 5 Volt 2 Amp PSU (thepithut) and a non-fake microSD card (ie, don't use ebay or an Amazon reseller)

Good to know, thanks very much!

Soldato
My nearest listed branch of W H Smith never received any at all, so I ordered a subscription to the Magpi magazine (£12.95 for 3 issues) over the phone, which includes issue 40 together with the cover mounted Pi Zero and a free cable kit.

When I checked this afternoon I was advised that the first batch were sent out a couple of days ago and should be received tomorrow, but the second batch had to wait until some more Zero's had been manufactured and will be sent out the middle of next week, so should be received well before Christmas,

The second printed issue (No. 41) will follow a few days later!

Edit: Mine was indeed delivered this morning, complete with Pi Zero plus a micro-B USB to USB A female cable, and a mini-HDMI to HDMI adaptor... all good!
I hadn't actually expected a good quality 100 page magazine, with a cover price of £5.99, which makes taking out an initial subscription even more of a bargain! :)

Last edited:

Art

Art

Associate
I have a subscription so I got mine a day or two after the announcement, but I spent a lot of time trying to find one for a friend who was itching to get one. Couldn't get hold of it at all, seems only a few obscure places in Belfast stock it, none of the big newsagents sell it for some reason, and everywhere that does sell it was out of stock.

Soldato
One of the problems was that certain nasty individuals targeted the few shops which did have them available, and immediately bought up all available stock to sell on eBay at inflated prices.

Even now there are bidding 'wars' going on by suckers who are prepared to pay up to £30 or so for a copy of the MagPi magazine with a 'free' Pi Zero on the cover.

Why I wonder. when subscriptions are still available, with a pre Christmas delivery of the issue in question, which a quick bit of 'Googling' would soon show!

It is such a shame when you see this sort of thing going on, but unfortunately it is all too common these days... sigh! :mad:

Back
Top Bottom