Raspberry Pi 5 Announced!

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato

I hope they come out with a refresh of the more affordable boards, at this price point for the base model (4GB) is the Raspberry Pi loosing its charm?

I would like to see a Raspberry Pi 4/5 A+ with 1GB for £30

Last edited:
Commissario
"One of the most exciting additions to the Raspberry Pi 5 feature set is the single-lane PCI Express 2.0 interface. Intended to support fast peripherals, it is exposed on a 16-pin, 0.5mm pitch FPC connector on the left-hand side of the board.

From early 2024, we will be offering a pair of mechanical adapter boards which convert between this connector and a subset of the M.2 standard, allowing users to attach NVMe SSDs and other M.2-format accessories. The first, which conforms to the standard HAT form factor, is intended for mounting larger devices"

This'll be good.

Soldato
Watching the explaining computers video on YouTube, it also has an 'RP1' to control peripherals for full USB3.0 speeds.

I'm was looking at getting an OPi5 and testing it as a daily browser/ media server but will probably consider this now given that RPi's have much better support.

Last edited:
Don
I would like to see a Raspberry Pi 4/5 A+ with 1GB for £30
Can't help but feel that they have added too much crap that most people don't need, which hasn't helped the price.

At £30 or whatever the original was, it was worth a go whether you had a specific use for it or not. £60 is too much (especially once you factor in any additional items you may need - PSU, SD card, Case etc)

Commissario
It looks like the new one may well come in 1Gb and 2Gb versions as well so the price will be cheaper.

There’s a marking on the board to show which version it is and it includes 1Gb and 2Gb in the list.

Reactions: Zaf
Associate
Temped to upgrade and it is priced decently but would it be worth upgrading from a 2GB Pi4 if I have no issues running the following:

Plex server, Jellyfin server, CCTV, Wireguard VPN, Kodi media player, NAS and everything uses on around 600mb of the 2GB ram?

Don
Yes, but they are huge high powered ugly old tin boxes, and I don't fancy getting my head chewed off thanks :D
Dell Micro, HP Mini and Lenovo Tiny boxes aren't :)
Neither are any of the multitude of ex-corporate thin clients.

Unless you absolutely need GPIO then there are better options for general purpose compute boxes

Soldato
Yes, but they are huge high powered ugly old tin boxes, and I don't fancy getting my head chewed off thanks :D
they dont pull as much power as people think, i done a quick test on a wyse 5020 here: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/dell-wyse-5020.18978168/

and this website has lots of info on thin clients: https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hware/hardware.shtml

iv got a hp elitedesk 800 g2 which i may setup and do some power consumption tests on.
do note at x86 devices are far more versatile than arm ones.

Associate
Dell Micro, HP Mini and Lenovo Tiny boxes aren't :)
Neither are any of the multitude of ex-corporate thin clients.

Unless you absolutely need GPIO then there are better options for general purpose compute boxes
I'm sure they are but I'm looking for something more palm sized, it just needs to be able to run a VNC server which was included last time I ran that setup on pi4, and play a youtube video at 1080 max 60fps.. from a browser. Thats all it needs to do.
they dont pull as much power as people think, i done a quick test on a wyse 5020 here: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/dell-wyse-5020.18978168/

and this website has lots of info on thin clients: https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hware/hardware.shtml

iv got a hp elitedesk 800 g2 which i may setup and do some power consumption tests on.
do note at x86 devices are far more versatile than arm ones.
Thanks I'll take a look.

Last edited:
Commissario
Pre ordered one already
Yeah, I had my order in at 08:05, I've ordered a 4Gb version, PSU, case and the little separate fan. I know the case comes with a fan but I have two potential uses. One will be straight away in the official case and the second one will be when the new PoE hat comes out so I'll use the separate fan for that.

Back
Top Bottom