Raspberry Pi 5 Announced!

Soldato
£63 for a Raspberry Pi case is bonkers. I wonder if anyone has done some proper analysis on what a Pi5 actually needs in terms of passive cooling.
Explaining Computers has a couple of vids that look at passively cooling a Pi 5.

Commissario
The FLIRC case is rubbish, after ten minutes or so, the Pi was up to over 70°C.
Now trying the official case with the top off and the official active cooler but I expect that once the fan kicks in, I'll hear it which means I'm no better off. Passive cooling really does suck.

Soldato
Now trying the official case with the top off and the official active cooler but I expect that once the fan kicks in, I'll hear it which means I'm no better off. Passive cooling really does suck.

Is it reaching that temperature when idle/under no load? I think the problem with passive cooling is they're fine for applications where load is relatively low, but any grunt work the processor has to do will heat it up and with SBCs they seem to warm up quite a bit.

Don

Is it reaching that temperature when idle/under no load? I think the problem with passive cooling is they're fine for applications where load is relatively low, but any grunt work the processor has to do will heat it up and with SBCs they seem to warm up quite a bit.

The issue is there just isn't enough mass to absorb the heat (especially if running constantly). The BCM2712 Cpu of the Pi5 has a 12W TDP, which isn't insignificant (For comparison - that's the sort of output of Socket 7 Pentium processors, which had decent sized heatsinks, and the advantage of a large chip surface area to dissipate the heat)

The Pi5's cpu is made on an older (cheaper) architecture, and consequently produces more heat - if performance vs noise it a big concern then one of the numerous chinese Intel N100 based mini PCs are a much better option than the Pi5

e.g. these sort of things: https://www.servethehome.com/cwwk-crazy-a-small-6w-tdp-cpu-homelab-super-system/

Commissario
This level of load.

RtNdxJQl.png

So absolutely nothing really, very surprised it reached as hot as it did. I am running it with force_turbo=1 so it's always at the higher clock speed which perhaps, with hindsight, I don't need.

$ vcgencmd measure_clock arm && vcgencmd measure_temp && vcgencmd get_throttled
frequency(0)=2400006656
temp=72.5'C
throttled=0x0

That was with the FLIRC case, now I've put it back in the official case but rather than use the fan that came with the official case, I'm using the active cooler and left the top off the case.

$ vcgencmd measure_clock arm && vcgencmd measure_temp && vcgencmd get_throttled
frequency(0)=2400005376
temp=48.8'C
throttled=0x0

I'm in the office, not the shack so I can't tell how much the fan is running and when it does spin up, how loud it is.

I've just disabled removed force_turbo=1 from my config.txt file and rebooted. Let's see what that does as well.

Associate
Passive cooling only works with much bigger surface area, look at just how big that cooler in the second video from @MarcLister is and that still runs a good few degrees hotter under load than the standard fan cooler.

Could get a much bigger fan and point it at the Pi I guess to reduce the noise?

Commissario
Passive cooling only works with much bigger surface area, look at just how big that cooler in the second video from @MarcLister is and that still runs a good few degrees hotter under load than the standard fan cooler.

Could get a much bigger fan and point it at the Pi I guess to reduce the noise?
The official active cooler is doing a great job.

It's sitting around 47°-50° and the fan hasn't kicked in at all.

Associate
This is the exact setup I have and you can't hear it when it's on a low speed spin, and it's not overly loud at high speed on the rare occasion it even has to push that far. I've got it sat on my desk and it's been no bother.

Soldato
Another video from ExplaingComputers.com today on YouTube, looking at the Argon Neo 5 M.2 NVME case. Some interesting results re cooling. With the top of the Argo Neo 5 case on the temperature is about 10oC lower than the official Pi 5 case with the top on. With the top off the board doesn't go past 50oC.

Link to the part of the video with the temperatures following the test. https://youtu.be/5Su4u4G-VIk?t=872

Soldato
Nah, look at the previous few posts - The active cooler is doing a stirling job, it's keeping the temperature down to sensible levels without the fan even spinning up.
I just picked up the low profile cooler with heat pipes. set the fan to kick in at 60c. currently only happened when I was running a stress test for over a minute.

Soldato
Another video from ExplaingComputers.com today on YouTube, looking at the Argon Neo 5 M.2 NVME case. Some interesting results re cooling. With the top of the Argo Neo 5 case on the temperature is about 10oC lower than the official Pi 5 case with the top on. With the top off the board doesn't go past 50oC.

Link to the part of the video with the temperatures following the test. https://youtu.be/5Su4u4G-VIk?t=872

I will see you verrrrrrry soon

Back
Top Bottom