Recommend me a budget office chair

Associate
So need to give the wife an Xmas idea for me, I could do with a new home office chair at present I have an old chair given to me by my dad when the firm he was working for went bust and they had a clear out.

It's done me a turn but it's not very comfortable it has poor back support which I suffer with and get a numb bum after an hour or so.

Budget wise looking at £150 ish

Soldato
I got a Sihoo M57 in May time and it is the best thing I ever did in terms of seating. The all mesh seat and back means it is just comfortable, the seat especially keeps you supported but with basically nothing below you. I wouldn't like to go back to a foam seat now.

Also on Amazon at the moment for £170, but I got mine from some ebay seller with an offer of £110.

Associate
If you were going 2nd hand the RH Logic 400 can be picked up for ~£120, it has a lot of adjustment for a chair in that range. I had one at work a few years back and it was pretty good

Associate
OP
The wife bought me the omega GT pro for Xmas, seems pretty good quality and comfortable, but not spent much time in it this far, tomorrow will tell as back to work

Associate
I got a Sihoo M57 in May time and it is the best thing I ever did in terms of seating. The all mesh seat and back means it is just comfortable, the seat especially keeps you supported but with basically nothing below you. I wouldn't like to go back to a foam seat now.

Also on Amazon at the moment for £170, but I got mine from some ebay seller with an offer of £110.
I also just got the m57 last week after using a high backed gamer chair. The m57 was very quick to put together and although a mesh seat, the frame is solid and quite heavy. It’s very comfortable to sit on for both myself at 6ft height and the Mrs being only 5ft1. Lots say on the store about it being not good if over 6ft1 though. I love it, so far best buy I have had in years for seat. Also has a great rock motion of a few inches on the back.

Soldato
Recently purchased this from ikea:

It replaced an aging Markus and it doesn't dominate the room like the Markus did. Comfortable enough and looks smart.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Recently purchased this from ikea:

It replaced an aging Markus and it doesn't dominate the room like the Markus did. Comfortable enough and looks smart.
Had one of these, gave me dead thighs/arse after 1-3 hours, to the point where after a month of using it could cause aches/pain within half hour.

Associate
For £175ish you could pick up a Humanscale Different World chair on certain auction sites. It will be better than any new chair you could buy for the same outlay.

Last edited:
Soldato
For £175ish you could pick up a Humanscale Different World chair on certain auction sites. It will be better than any new chair you could buy for the same outlay.

definitely this, its your best option. Unless you can increase your budget to like £400-£500 then you can buy Herman Miller Aeron 1st gen(these are better than the new Aeron).

Unless your a big lad, I would steer away from IKEA Markus, unless you get lucky and it fits perfect. I have an old version while it works, the lumbar support is not the best and the head support gets annoying after a while. Its one of those try and see if it works. But you really want a chair with adjustable lumbar support, head rest (granted office chairs don't usually have head support) and arm rests. I would rather buy a secret labs gaming chair than IKEA Markus.

also amazon sihoo ergonomic chair might be worth trying, can always send it back. With chairs its best to try and see what your comfortable with.

Last edited:
Associate
definitely this, its your best option. Unless you can increase your budget to like £400-£500 then you can buy Herman Miller Aeron 1st gen(these are better than the new Aeron).

Unless your a big lad, I would steer away from IKEA Markus, unless you get lucky and it fits perfect. I have an old version while it works, the lumbar support is not the best and the head support gets annoying after a while. Its one of those try and see if it works. But you really want a chair with adjustable lumbar support, head rest (granted office chairs don't usually have head support) and arm rests. I would rather buy a secret labs gaming chair than IKEA Markus.

also amazon sihoo ergonomic chair might be worth trying, can always send it back. With chairs its best to try and see what your comfortable with.
A colleague bought the Amazon Sihoo and did not like it, reviews vary, but as you outlined, you can try it and return it if it is not up to scratch. I'd also look at the Flexipsot Flex Chair BS8.

Soldato
I've had an Ikea Markus chair for around 12 years now. I like it but it's certainly showing it's age.

Newer versions are fabric not leather I think? I don't personally feel they are as solid feeling when I tried them in store.

Back
Top Bottom