Rent increase question

Caporegime
OP
So after the place went live on Zoopla the agents were getting requests on the same day for application forms. On Monday evening they had 9 viewings in an hour and the place is let.

Honestly the property market is just ridiculous atm. Certainlyba bit of a rude awakening for us as we'll be looking soon.

Unrelated, I'm starting to see quite a few places on the usual letting sites with reduced rents, I wonder if this points to a larger shift.

Associate
Wonder what happens if you are now not out when the new tenants are supposed to move in and they have to spend months removing you. Are they liable to the new tenants to compensate them and/or find them somewhere else to live?
I don't think I would have done that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wonder what happens if you are now not out when the new tenants are supposed to move in and they have to spend months removing you. Are they liable to the new tenants to compensate them and/or find them somewhere else to live?

I guess that's a risk a landlord takes. Could argue it's a bit silly on the tenant to put themselves in that position too*. Imagine they've given notice and then find out they can't move into their new property because the current tenant won't leave and the landlord has to go down the forced eviction route, you'd effectively be left homeless - your landlords certainly not going to put you up in a hotel :D

*I do realise that a lot of tenants probably don't have a choice based on the way the rental market moves

Soldato
If a tenancy agreement is signed and you turn up on the day, the old tenants are there and you can't move in, it's 100% on the landlord (not the agents) to compensate you for any costs that arise from that situation. Whether that's a hotel, last minute rental, it's up to the landlord.

If a tenancy agreement is signed and you turn up on the day, the old tenants are there and you can't move in, it's 100% on the landlord (not the agents) to compensate you for any costs that arise from that situation. Whether that's a hotel, last minute rental, it's up to the landlord.

Big unused garden, a few tents should do it.
Just hope Cruella doesn't notice!

Associate
So after the place went live on Zoopla the agents were getting requests on the same day for application forms. On Monday evening they had 9 viewings in an hour and the place is let.

Honestly the property market is just ridiculous atm. Certainlyba bit of a rude awakening for us as we'll be looking soon.

Unrelated, I'm starting to see quite a few places on the usual letting sites with reduced rents, I wonder if this points to a larger shift.
We have quite a few "reduced rents" around here, well they would be if they hadn't been put up at stupid rates in the first place. we had one try £1800 then reduced to £1500 a week later. £1200 would be pushing it in reality and pre-pandemic £750 maybe £800.

It just shows how crazy the market can be.

Caporegime
We have quite a few "reduced rents" around here, well they would be if they hadn't been put up at stupid rates in the first place. we had one try £1800 then reduced to £1500 a week later. £1200 would be pushing it in reality and pre-pandemic £750 maybe £800.

It just shows how crazy the market can be.
Those prices are basically the same as our mortgage increase would be without the benefit of low rate.

It would have gone 900 to 1400

Associate
Those prices are basically the same as our mortgage increase would be without the benefit of low rate.

It would have gone 900 to 1400
Many landlords need to increase rents by a lot more than their mortgage increases if they want to maintain net profit due to tax.

Last edited:
Soldato
surprised you are not looking already ?
for properties vacated due to rent rises, if they have a 3month notice then they will be on the market/rented, for next tenant, several months before they will be available ?

Soldato
surprised you are not looking already ?
for properties vacated due to rent rises, if they have a 3month notice then they will be on the market/rented, for next tenant, several months before they will be available ?
I've never been able to get something months in advance. Usually ramps up with 4-6 weeks to go.

Caporegime
OP
Cba clogging the forum with more guff about this so I'll just use this thread.

The landlord is now claiming that we need to pay £1k in repairs and stuff for the flat.

The deposit is in a scheme, and I've rejected everything.

He really picked the wrong person to try and stiff this time, I'll divulge more once this is all settled for obvious reasons but suffice to say this is gonna be interesting. Rather looking forward to a fight :D

Soldato
The landlord is now claiming that we need to pay £1k in repairs and stuff for the flat.

Umm.. unless the damage was caused by you, repairs and fair wear and tear are the landlord's responsibility. And I speak as a landlord who's recently had to cough up many thousands for just that.

Caporegime
OP
Umm.. unless the damage was caused by you, repairs and fair wear and tear are the landlord's responsibility. And I speak as a landlord who's recently had to cough up many thousands for just that.

The vast majority of the stuff was all documented on the checkin when we moved in, he's just trying it on.

With the wrong people this time.

Soldato
tbh standard landlord tactics. we had one try and charge us because the living room needed painting. the reason it needed painting was because it hadn't been decorated in 20 years and the wallpaper was falling off.

Associate
tbh standard landlord tactics. we had one try and charge us because the living room needed painting. the reason it needed painting was because it hadn't been decorated in 20 years and the wallpaper was falling off.

Last place I left tried to charge us for about £1200 of repairs/painting etc. Ended up paying about £250 between us, as one of the rooms had been repainted by a housemate withuot permission (lived there 3 years).

I asked after we weren't found liable if they felt bad about trying to defraud us out of almost £1000. Of course not, just standard procedure.

Bunch of ****s.

Caporegime
They lose nothing (I believe) and hope the renter will buckle.

There should be some penalty as many people are vulnerable, or need the deposit so will agree.

Maybe if they claim it and lose there should be ramifications.

Soldato
i really dont get how these people get away with it....... we had 2 lots of awful tenants who left our flat in a terrible state, and we were still forced to give back their deposit without even fighting them.

i guess it is because we rent out through an agency, and the agency just do what ever is least work for them, which in this case is giving the tenants back their money, telling us to whistle and then giving us the bill for the repairs!.

From what i can tell the current system is rubbish for honest people both sides of the equation and fully sides with scumbags

Caporegime
i really dont get how these people get away with it....... we had 2 lots of awful tenants who left our flat in a terrible state, and we were still forced to give back their deposit without even fighting them.

i guess it is because we rent out through an agency, and the agency just do what ever is least work for them, which in this case is giving the tenants back their money, telling us to whistle and then giving us the bill for the repairs!.

From what i can tell the current system is rubbish for honest people both sides of the equation and fully sides with scumbags

Year sounds rubbish. I guess a lot depends on the case handler?
I expect it goes in the tenants favour more often when the Tennant fights it. But many don't, and it goes in[landlords

Back
Top Bottom