Rent increase question

Soldato
https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/rent_increases/periodic_tenancy V

Rent review clauses​

Check your most recent tenancy agreement for a rent review clause.

This is a term in your agreement that says how the rent can be increased. Not all tenancy agreements have them.

The clause might be quite general and say something like: "the landlord will review the rent in April each year and give the tenant 1 month's notice of any increase".

Or it could be more specific and say something like: 'the rent will increase each April in line with the Retail Price Index (RPI)".

A rent review clause will not usually apply if your fixed term has ended.
But it will still apply if the agreement says the tenancy continues as a contractual periodic tenancy after the fixed term.

If you get a section 13 notice​

Your landlord can give you a formal notice of rent increase called a section 13 notice.

Your landlord cannot:

• use this procedure more than once a year
  • increase your rent like this during the first year of your tenancy
  • give you a section 13 notice if your agreement has a rent review clause that still applies

What the section 13 notice needs to say​

The notice needs to:

• be on form 4
  • give at least 1 month's notice of the rent increase
The form tells you the start date for the new rent.

This needs to be the first day of a period of your tenancy.

For example, if your tenancy began on the 5th of the month, the new rent would need to start on the 5th.

Soldato
We had a 25% increase to our rent last month, so I feel you OP. We're looking at moving to Wales, where everything is lovely and cheap. Or at least further out of the city.

Caporegime
OP
Parents rent a house out, and this has happened with theres, where the letting agent has put the rent up despite them saying they are happy with the current rent, as they are good tennents and they dont want to upset them.

Wouldn't be surprised if the agency was scamming both you and landlord. A long time ago when I was renting a flat with 2 mates (3bed, huge place). Agent tried to raise the rent in month 4 (to start month 6) so I asked to speak directly with landlord and was told that the only contact he wanted was through the agency.

Landlord owned business underneath us so I popped in and cheekily asked for his number and it turned out he was in the back office. Spoke with him and found out we were paying about £90/month more than the agency was told to charge and he was only getting what he told them, less their fees. Turned out that the agency was scamming several landlord/tenants to the tune of thousands per month. From then on we rented directly for another 2yrs.

This right here is my suspicion.

Us:

Please could you also provide me with the Landlords contact details?

Them:

Im afraid the landlord does not wish for any direct contact as we manage this for him, so anything you wish to convey to them we would be happy to send through for you.

Us:

Please can you provide evidence that the landlord doesn't want direct contact.

Thanks,

Them:

Having spoken to your landlord in depth again, I can confirm they wish to keep any correspondence through us direct, thank you, but as mentioned, anything you wish to convey I am happy to do so.

Add in to this that I've met the landlord, his wife and his kids when they popped in a few months ago and seemed like reasonable people, this strikes me as being out of character (however not beyond the realms of possibility, they might have seen that we live like ballers and want more wedge as a result).

Honestly the alarm bells are on fire from ringing, I really, really want to find out. I'll ask the neighbours for the landlord's contact details.

Man of Honour
To be fair to the letting agents...I know but hear me out.

The landlord pays them a probably not inconsiderate wedge to deal with the property and handle all Comms, it's not out of the realms of possibility that they have no interest in paying them and then having you hassle (this is how they may see it) them on the side.

Caporegime
OP

The landlord pays them a probably not inconsiderate wedge to deal with the property and handle all Comms, it's not out of the realms of possibility that they have no interest in paying them and then having you hassle (this is how they may see it) them on the side.

Very possible, but I trust them less than I trust a politician in no. 10. I'd like to hear it from the horse's mouth tbh.

Soldato
Very possible, but I trust them less than I trust a politician in no. 10. I'd like to hear it from the horse's mouth tbh.

Seeing that you're asking for advice on a forum ... You shouldn't be bothering the landlord, he has hired an agency to deal with his property. If the agency is doing anything fradulent, that's on the landlord to find out, not you.

I would stick to negotiating according to your tenancy agreement, where you have a clause that gives you some negotiating power.

You should also remain realistic and keep in mind that there is currently a dearth of rental properties, so if you found yourself needing to find another, it probably won't be that easy.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Seeing that you're asking for advice on a forum ... You shouldn't be bothering the landlord

I know the landlord though. I'd be very surprised if he's asking for this, at least to this extent, and my extreme prejudice of any estate agents makes me want to clear it up. They could be defrauding both of us, who knows!

You should also remain realistic and keep in mind that there is currently a dearth of rental properties, so if you found yourself needing to find another, it probably won't be that easy.

Already seen quite a few we're interested in, the question is who's corner sofa they're closest to and whether I can get a mac10 delivered in 15 minutes (or how quickly I can get to work).

Soldato
I know the landlord though. I'd be very surprised if he's asking for this, at least to this extent, and my extreme prejudice of any estate agents makes me want to clear it up. They could be defrauding both of us, who knows!
Say you are concerned because it looks like she wants you to pay the extra to a different account. Really cause a big old fuss (y)

Soldato
Already seen quite a few we're interested in, the question is who's corner sofa they're closest to and whether I can get a mac10 delivered in 15 minutes (or how quickly I can get to work).

Corner shop??

It's one thing seeing properties you're interested in, and it's another thing actually securing one, given the current competition.

Caporegime
OP
Corner shop??

It's one thing seeing properties you're interested in, and it's another thing actually securing one, given the current competition.

I've no doubt whatsoever that we'll find a decent place. Are you referring to the purchasing market? That's a whole different kettle of fish.

This is exactly my view.
The point of paying someone to mange your properties is that you get exactly that.

You don't get the phone calls and messages at 3am when the boiler springs a leak, or the person renting your property trips the fuse box and cannot get it working again.

Back
Top Bottom