Rosberg retires with immediate effect

Soldato
I'd much rather see the young talent get their chance in a top car, button and alonso have had their day, as much as I'd like to see a 2007 round 2, I'd prefer to see some fresh hungry faces on that podium.

Caporegime
It's the Marion Bartoli syndrome, got a bit lucky winning the title and then decided to retire whilst on top rather than have everybody see that they can't replicate it.

Soldato
Ditto. Still, i think he know's that it wont happen again if there's increased competition next year. There's no point doing a Button and just floating around for the next 5 years is there and going out with a whimper.

oh yeah, im sure the £30m (easy) he's earned still being one of the best racing drivers in the world since than has been a complete waste of time :p

Associate
What I don't get is people calling this a brave decision. It's not brave at all. Brave would be setting his stall out to defend his title and show that he's got what it takes to be a multiple champion. As it stands he's a multi-millionaire with plenty of prospects outside of the sport, so leaving on a high is the easy thing to do.

(I guess there's a *little* bravery to be seen here, as he's going to take a lot of flak for it so he'll need thick skin for a while, but still...)

Soldato
What I don't get is people calling this a brave decision. It's not brave at all. Brave would be setting his stall out to defend his title and show that he's got what it takes to be a multiple champion. As it stands he's a multi-millionaire with plenty of prospects outside of the sport, so leaving on a high is the easy thing to do.

(I guess there's a *little* bravery to be seen here, as he's going to take a lot of flak for it so he'll need thick skin for a while, but still...)

I think it is brave because it just isn't the done thing. I've just read his announcement - it is refreshingly honest. Huge respect to him for that.

Soldato
Didn't see that coming but good on him, got what he wanted and can retire satisfied, obviously not motivated by the money or anything.

Very interesting for the seat... Winner how many drivers are calling their lawyers to look over their contracts :p

OcUK Staff
He has millions, he can say he was world champion, he can now enjoy life and those millions and spend time with family. :)

The only downside, no one will remember him in a few years time, he won't have the following drivers like Schumacher, Hamilton, Alonso, Mansell, Senna, Frost and others have for being multiple world champions.

Man of Honour
Amazing, only just came back from lunch and a colleague told me.

Bit shell shocked, but also very curious to see who will take his seat. I can only imagine being in the vicinity of Alonso right now haha.

Back
Top Bottom