Rosberg retires with immediate effect

Soldato
Pastor Maldonado confirmed for Mercedes 2017 !!!

Clearly not - but we can hope! :D

:D

Who ever gets it is a huge call for Merc

If its an up and coming driver, next season could be very humilliating for them from which they dont recover (and not to mention it could cost Merc a title)

Personally would much prefer to see someone who can really compete with LH rather than someone who can learn from him for the future

Associate
I think it is brave because it just isn't the done thing. I've just read his announcement - it is refreshingly honest. Huge respect to him for that.
I have respect for him doing it. Family is important, and there's adversity in being away from them. For me, bravery is facing adversity. It was brave of him to keep fighting for the title when it was clear that his teammate is the better driver. He could have bowed out at the end of last year and he didn't.

I don't mean to be disparaging to him for taking this decision, as it makes a lot of sense. But I don't think it's particularly brave. And there's nothing wrong with that. :)

Man of Honour
Maybe that explains why Wehrlien didn't go for the FI seat.

Button to come out of retirement n sign for Merc. Let's keep the crazy going.

that would be amazing. just imagine the alonso interview.

shocked but makes sense, he's achieved his life goal and is unlikely to repeat it, go out on a high. HAs lots of money and a family to enjoy.

also good for the sport, see if we can get someone better in that second seat especially if merc are strong again next year. can Verstrappen break his rbr contract. Although rbr could be up with merc next year.

Soldato
I have respect for him doing it. Family is important, and there's adversity in being away from them. For me, bravery is facing adversity. It was brave of him to keep fighting for the title when it was clear that his teammate is the better driver. He could have bowed out at the end of last year and he didn't.

I don't mean to be disparaging to him for taking this decision, as it makes a lot of sense. But I don't think it's particularly brave. And there's nothing wrong with that. :)

The only downside, no one will remember him in a few years time, he won't have the following drivers like Schumacher, Hamilton, Alonso, Mansell, Senna, Frost and others have for being multiple world champions.

Really :D

Soldato
I hope they promote a young driver. Otherwise what's the point in having a young driver program?

Based upon Sundays race, Merc are purely about winning, so the young driver program will only be used if the young driver is thought to be currently capable of winning.

Associate
Good on you Nico. You are world champion, box ticked. Retire from F1 at the top. I would love to see Max in the Merc. Highly unlikely dew to the fact the Red Bull will be mighty strong next year.

I wonder will they consult Lewis on who joins the team?

Man of Honour
He has millions, he can say he was world champion, he can now enjoy life and those millions and spend time with family. :)

The only downside, no one will remember him in a few years time, he won't have the following drivers like Schumacher, Hamilton, Alonso, Mansell, Senna, Frost and others have for being multiple world champions.

I'll never forget Alain Frost. He was cool.

Caporegime
It's the Marion Bartoli syndrome, got a bit lucky winning the title and then decided to retire whilst on top rather than have everybody see that they can't replicate it.

Very much so, without hitting Hamilton twice and all the reliability against Hamilton he'd have never won. He won't get away with another team mate contact I don't think without a race ban at this point, the chances of having 4 races uncontested due to qualifying issues and a 28 point net gain due to an engine failure in race is... slim to none.

He won't beat Hamilton again and he'll never be in a top team without a better driver in it to compete against him. If he stays at Merc, merc would only replace Hamilton(if they did and at some stage) with a top top driver, Verstappen or whoever gets big in the next few years as frankly Merc know Rosberg isn't good enough to win a title if the Merc wasn't so dominant.

If Rosberg left Merc for another bigger team it would be strictly as a no.2 driver for exactly the same reasoning. If Ferrari, RBR or Mclaren want to win a title, assuming just a competitive car they need a driver better than Rosberg.

He fluked a title, the few people that think he did it on merit and not extreme luck added to some naughty driving will only continue to think that if he retires and isn't beaten continuously going forward.

Soldato
I'd quite like to see Sainz get an opportunity at the front. What good is it giving the car to Max or Daniel when they already have competitive cars.

Give the seat to Sainz. He's just as good as Max.

Back
Top Bottom