• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX HDR for games!

Caporegime
OP
What would be really impressive is if using AI they can get HDR running on a non HDR monitor.

HDR requires hardware..... No way at all you can mimic what real hdr on a proper hdr monitor should look like. I suppose the reshade and digital vibrance tries too but whole point with hdr is for the zones/individual pixels to mimic the brightness of what's happening on screen.

Soldato
Time for you to upgrade your monitor mate. You have a nice system there, but missing out if no OLED monitor.

As I have never seen what I am missing out on, I am currently happy with my current monitor.

I think when the time comes for the next upgrade it might be time to go 4k, then I'll entertain the idea of a new monitor.

It's not about the money, it's just that at the moment current monitor is fine.

Its relatively old that's true but its 1440p Gsync so currently doing a satisfactory job.

The majority of the Gsync ultimate monitors on this list seem unavailable to buy from anywhere when I check on the internet.

Also right now I am happy being able to max games at 1440p.

If I upgrade to 3440x1440 wont the 4080 struggle a bit?

I would have gone for the 4090 if I knew I was going to be at a high resolution.

Last edited:
Soldato
What would be really impressive is if using AI they can get HDR running on a non HDR monitor.

What?

thats like saying AI will make your Toyota as fast as a Ferrari

You can't use AI software to produce something that is physical out of thing air, HDR is a result of a screen that can display wide color gamut HDR signals and display wide contrast through pixel dimming and brightness.

Software cannot make a crappy $100 LCD monitor display dark 0.1 nit blacks or 1000nit whites, it will never happen and that software also cannot trick your eyes into thinking it's looking at an HDR screen - your eyes understand what colors are supposed to look like, what is dark and what is bright

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
As I have never seen what I am missing out on, I am currently happy with my current monitor.

I think when the time comes for the next upgrade it might be time to go 4k, then I'll entertain the idea of a new monitor.

It's not about the money, it's just that at the moment current monitor is fine.

Its relatively old that's true but its 1440p Gsync so currently doing a satisfactory job.

The majority of the Gsync ultimate monitors on this list seem unavailable to buy from anywhere when I check on the internet.

Also right now I am happy being able to max games at 1440p.

If I upgrade to 3440x1440 wont the 4080 struggle a bit?

I would have gone for the 4090 if I knew I was going to be at a high resolution.

Unless you hate DLSS then no. You should be fine. I would go for the new Alienware QD-OLED 4K monitor. Stick it on DLSS Performance which is essentially 1080p then in terms of performance needed. Or go Quality and it is 1440p.

Trust me. You may not know what you are missing. But I can tell you now. You are missing...

Soldato
Unless you hate DLSS then no. You should be fine. I would go for the new Alienware QD-OLED 4K monitor. Stick it on DLSS Performance which is essentially 1080p then in terms of performance needed. Or go Quality and it is 1440p.

Trust me. You may not know what you are missing. But I can tell you now. You are missing...

Which is the new one?

To be fair, I can just about justify £1000 on the Alienware AW3423DW, but anything more makes me feel bad.

Soldato
There is more to a monitor than it's G-Sync module though dude :)

I know squat diddly about monitors as I never pay any attention to them.

Basically your saying that my current gysnc happiness will not be affected at all if I bought this monitor.

Things would just carry on working as is? Gynsc would still work just fine?

Last edited:
Associate
How do we set the Brightness peak for TV's like Samsung S90C that only detect maximum 800 and not higher. which is the maximum peak for this TV? 1200 1500 or 2000? no one said for sure from what I checked over the internet.
if I edit it in CRU in the HDR METADATA then I can write for example 159 79 1 on the boxes and then it let me set more than 800 nits , it says in windows 1566nits but I'm not sure if that's what I need.

Back
Top Bottom