Rugby union?

Soldato
Referee questions aside... England need to be better at keeping on the right side of the ref imo, that and avoiding giving away the ball softly.
Happy to see England with the win despite it not looking comfortable. They're playing some more exciting rugby (at times!) than they have been for a few years and look like they can be a threat outside of a set piece.

On a general rugby note. The scrums were rubbish today, so much time wasting on setup. Think there needs to be an enforced law to add a time limit from the ref calling scrum to the ball going in.

Soldato
On a general rugby note. The scrums were rubbish today, so much time wasting on setup. Think there needs to be an enforced law to add a time limit from the ref calling scrum to the ball going in.

As a former front row forward I would have never thought I’d agree with you. I think the scrums have been improved over the last few years in terms of player safety and clarity of rules, but they do seem to be taking longer and longer. Not a question of getting rid of them, but you do wonder whether a scrum clock might also be a good idea (like the conversion clock). In two completely equal sides, the scrum is basically like having a free kick on your own put in and a slow setup should equal this. Same as a line out.

Soldato
As a former front row forward I would have never thought I’d agree with you. I think the scrums have been improved over the last few years in terms of player safety and clarity of rules, but they do seem to be taking longer and longer. Not a question of getting rid of them, but you do wonder whether a scrum clock might also be a good idea (like the conversion clock). In two completely equal sides, the scrum is basically like having a free kick on your own put in and a slow setup should equal this. Same as a line out.
Yep exactly that. Both scrums and line outs are exciting contests and should remain part of the game. Just need to speed up the setup to keep the match flowing!

Soldato
Went to the England Vs Wales game, corporate hospitality! Great experience, food and drink all top notch. Only small complaint was the size of the seats, they don't half pack you in! The first half was pretty poor and the crowd didn't really have much to cheer about, but the second half got the crowd back into it and the place was rocking at the end.

He'd arguably stepped even further away from it!
ITV didn't help with this as they showed an old rule. The new rule states that a movement in any direction begins the approach, not a movement towards the ball. TBH i don't understand why they just can't do away with having the option to charge the kick, let them take uncontested conversions in the same way as penalties.

Soldato
ITV didn't help with this as they showed an old rule. The new rule states that a movement in any direction begins the approach, not a movement towards the ball. TBH i don't understand why they just can't do away with having the option to charge the kick, let them take uncontested conversions in the same way as penalties.
Well that confuses matters, are we allowed to charge when the kicker steps back after placing the ball? I'd like someone to do that just to take the urine. I don't see why the law needed changing it's been fine for decades.

Scrums are shower of excrement and have been for 20 years. The gulf between amateur scrums and professional is a joke. They play to different laws effectively and the amateur game is the one that has it right.

Back
Top Bottom