• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
Screw you guys, I might pull the trigger and move from the 5800X3D to 7800X3D. Figuring next year i can drop in a 9800X3D (assuming they'll exist).

I was going to wait, but I am weak.

I was thinking the same. Upgrade itch is bad, but new AM5 mobo chipset is due out so probably not a good idea. Also no one knows what speed DDR5 ram 9000 will need/sweet spot

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The Frost Commander with 5 heat pipes has average performance, the Frost Spirit with 4 heatpipes is better.

The Frost Commander was far cheaper when I picked it up, and all in black which suits my case. Think I found one for less than £30. Performance is very close on all of them anyway.

Last edited:
Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
Anyone here using a thermal grizzly direct die waterblock and LM on a 7800x3d?

If so, what sort of temps are you idling at and under full load (eg cinebench).

I have PBO at -25 and on cinebnech hitting 75-77 degrees C. So not sure if I should bother with a remount or not.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Anyone here using a thermal grizzly direct die waterblock and LM on a 7800x3d?

If so, what sort of temps are you idling at and under full load (eg cinebench).

I have PBO at -25 and on cinebnech hitting 75-77 degrees C. So not sure if I should bother with a remount or not.

I wouldn’t bother.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
What will you gain from it being cooler? What’s your aim?

The main aim is just to ensure its as efficiently set up as possible, and hitting ~80 on cinebench seems a little high when doing direct die cooling.

However looking at @Audioboxer on a 7950x3d a few pages back with the same cooling setup, it does appear that I should probably remount.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
So just messing around with some settings.

Enabled Expo: Left everything else on auto.
PBO CO: Set all cores -30. No issues at all stability wise. Not going to mess around with per-core settings.
SOC Voltage: Seemed set at 1.3v default. Should I drop this down?
Disabled integrated graphcis

Cinebench pulling results of ~18300-18400 ish which seems where it should be.

Anything else I should look at in particular?

Associate
It appears that was the right call. After removing, cleaning and remounting, dropped 10 degrees off all the temps.

You're using LM as well, yeah?

I can still hit 70 with CB

hNzmg4H.png

An all core AVX2 load is nearer 60

FqiFdfO.png

But the 7950x3D cache cores do clock a bit higher so a 7800x3D with PBO enabled should hopefully come in a little lower temp wise than the above. I've got scalar on 10x and LLC8 as well.

Man of Honour

Interestingly they include whole system power consumption - a lot of reviews have only shown CPU power consumption.

Frankly aside from future upgrade potential (vs Intel) I don't get the fascination with the 7800X3D unless purely gaming - the main benefit over other CPUs is 1080p with a 4090 which is a bit of an odd combination outside of hardcore esports, at 1440p or 4K with ultra settings, especially with GPUs slower than the 4090, other CPUs are within margin of error (the odd specific title aside) while either significantly faster outside of gaming or the same performance for non-gaming use but significantly cheaper. Aside from the 14900 full system power consumption vs other CPUs is not as dramatically different as the CPU only power consumption.

Personally don't hold much to future upgrade potential as historically so often plans change or something on a new platform comes along which blows everything before it out the water, etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interestingly they include whole system power consumption - a lot of reviews have only shown CPU power consumption.

Frankly aside from future upgrade potential (vs Intel) I don't get the fascination with the 7800X3D unless purely gaming - the main benefit over other CPUs is 1080p with a 4090 which is a bit of an odd combination outside of hardcore esports, at 1440p or 4K with ultra settings, especially with GPUs slower than the 4090 other CPUs are within margin of error (the odd specific title aside) while either significantly faster outside of gaming or the same performance for non-gaming use but significantly cheaper. Aside from the 14900 full system power consumption vs other CPUs is not as dramatically different as the CPU only power consumption.

Personally don't hold much to future upgrade potential as historically so often plans change or something on a new platform comes along which blows everything before it out the water, etc.

For me personally as I play a lot of Star Citizen I found going from the 13900K to 7800X3D a night and day experience. Even when disabling the E-Cores on the 13th gen I'd get odd stutters here and there. Switched to the 7800X3D and performance is like silk and this is at 3440x1440.

Last edited:
Soldato

Frankly aside from future upgrade potential (vs Intel) I don't get the fascination with the 7800X3D unless purely gaming - the main benefit over other CPUs is 1080p with a 4090 which is a bit of an odd combination outside of hardcore esports, at 1440p or 4K with ultra settings, especially with GPUs slower than the 4090, other CPUs are within margin of error (the odd specific title aside) while either significantly faster outside of gaming or the same performance for non-gaming use but significantly cheaper. Aside from the 14900 full system power consumption vs other CPUs is not as dramatically different as the CPU only power consumption.

I think there are many CPUs that will hit people's targets easily in most titles but the focus always goes on the best even when there is only a few % in them.

As I play at 120Hz (2160p) I am looking for 100+ 1% lows which is doable most of the time on the 7800X3D (and the 14700K etc). If my CPU can't hit 120 FPS at 1080p then it won't at 2160p. But if my GPU can't hit the target there is often DLSS to help it get there :p

Associate
My recent 7800x3d build is idling around 46 - 50 degrees, around 60 degrees in MW3 and maxed out at 80 degrees in cinebench multicore.
I'm using the Corsair 5000d airflow case with 3 intake fans at the front, then 1 exhaust at back, 3 at the top and my 360 AIO is mounted at the side ( top mounted was very tight on my CPU power feeds) I've also set all cores to -30,thermal limit to 85, disabled quickboot, set expo to my 6000mhz CL30 G.Skill Trident memory, disabled onboard Graphics and the system seems to be running fine.

As others have mentioned I am not 100% happy with the idle temps as my I7 8700k would idle in the low to mid 30's. I've reapplied thermal paste (noctua NT H1) and re seated the cooler but same temps.
Cinebench was holding 79 degrees for 99% of the test but just hit 80 at the end.

When I check MSi afterburner in game the CPU spikes to around 70 degrees when loading the game and the same when shutting it down but sits around 60 ingame, seems a bit odd as you would think it would be the other way around, but other than that the games run great.
I am using the Deepcool Mystique 360 AIO but will test my old Noctua NH - D15 when the AM5 mounting kit arrives just to see if idle temp lowers at all.

Man of Honour
What is your idle power consumption (can check in something like HWMonitor) - some people have found the 7800X3D can idle at relatively higher power consumption with higher frequency RAM, though 6000MT CL30 shouldn't be a problem.

Soldato
My recent 7800x3d build is idling around 46 - 50 degrees, around 60 degrees in MW3 and maxed out at 80 degrees in cinebench multicore.
I'm using the Corsair 5000d airflow case with 3 intake fans at the front, then 1 exhaust at back, 3 at the top and my 360 AIO is mounted at the side ( top mounted was very tight on my CPU power feeds) I've also set all cores to -30,thermal limit to 85, disabled quickboot, set expo to my 6000mhz CL30 G.Skill Trident memory, disabled onboard Graphics and the system seems to be running fine.

As others have mentioned I am not 100% happy with the idle temps as my I7 8700k would idle in the low to mid 30's. I've reapplied thermal paste (noctua NT H1) and re seated the cooler but same temps.
Cinebench was holding 79 degrees for 99% of the test but just hit 80 at the end.

When I check MSi afterburner in game the CPU spikes to around 70 degrees when loading the game and the same when shutting it down but sits around 60 ingame, seems a bit odd as you would think it would be the other way around, but other than that the games run great.
I am using the Deepcool Mystique 360 AIO but will test my old Noctua NH - D15 when the AM5 mounting kit arrives just to see if idle temp lowers at all.

I would check background processes and make sure it is actually idle - could be some background processes keep CPU running hotter than it would otherwise.My win11 install is a lot less efficient than it could be, Hwinfo running for a couple of days and shows minimum temp ofr 36.1C (40C atm doing not a lot) and minimum CPU Package Power of 29W. I'm sure thats at least a few more W than could be with less bloated windows...

I think the Cinebench results are normal assuming it is hitting expected scores.

Back
Top Bottom