• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
You're using LM as well, yeah?

I can still hit 70 with CB

hNzmg4H.png

An all core AVX2 load is nearer 60

FqiFdfO.png

But the 7950x3D cache cores do clock a bit higher so a 7800x3D with PBO enabled should hopefully come in a little lower temp wise than the above. I've got scalar on 10x and LLC8 as well.
wow, i get 82° in cb with my 7950x3d @directdie...

Associate
I think Cinebench was hitting around 17600 mc
What is your idle power consumption (can check in something like HWMonitor) - some people have found the 7800X3D can idle at relatively higher power consumption with higher frequency RAM, though 6000MT CL30 shouldn't be a problem.
So CPU package power is 39w current, 37w minimum, 84w maximum and average 54w, current wattage is after around 10 minutes of a few games of COD.

Last edited:
Associate
Should be sub 30 at idle - I think the last one I used was idling at around 22 watt with no applications active (and without max power saving features enabled).
I will do more investigations tomorrow, CPU is at 43 degrees now at idle only program running is MSI AB.
Thanks for your input.

Man of Honour
I will do more investigations tomorrow, CPU is at 43 degrees now at idle only program running is MSI AB.
Thanks for your input.

With faster RAM (anything over IIRC 5200MT maybe 5600) though due to the way IF, etc. works these chips will produce more heat at idle than typical with Intel.

Associate
jep, mycro direct die.
but i must admit, i did non clean all the metal from the die... i was scared...

so i left a smal layer.

Yeah I cleaned it all off and polished it.

LM dissolves solder but it does make it a bit lumpy. That's why it's best to get it cleaned off. Funnily enough, after scraping off what you can it's LM you use to clean the die lol. But you wipe it off after 20 mins or something.

Depending on how much you left on of course, your LM might not be operating at peak effectiveness at the moment.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I cleaned it all off and polished it.

LM dissolves solder but it does make it a bit lumpy. That's why it's best to get it cleaned off. Funnily enough, after scraping off what you can it's LM you use to clean the die lol. But you wipe it off after 20 mins or something.

Depending on how much you left on of course, your LM might not be operating at peak effectiveness at the moment.
i probably am gonna clean it again sometime. but i have to let out the water and disassemble everything.
if i really find time for that, i'm ginna post the results here...

thx

Soldato
With the 7800 I'm enable to use my RAM in expo 1 or 2. Wouldn't even boot with the 7700X.
I didn't really tinker much, ran C23, then set -30 all cores, got an extra 1000 score, left it at that. I don't really do stability tests, if it doesn't crash when I'm gaming then it's stable for my needs.

Soldato
After having consecutive bsod on startup i decided to update to bios version 2007, took a little longer than usual to update but afterwards expo II was enabled and pc booted up fine, seemed a bit more responsive when i got into windows too, powered up this morning and into windows again no bsod :)

Associate
I did a little more research on the 7800X3d and in general it seems there's more of a lottery with silicone at idle temps and Cinebench scores.
No end of people (like myself) are seeing higher idle temps but acceptable stress/gaming temps. I really don't understand why this chip won't just tick over at idle instead of boosting to 5ghz+ when there's no need. The lowest I can get at idle is 43° and that's with shutting down everything apart from Afterburner, whilst my I7 8700k sitting right next to it runs at 30° with other things running in the background.

I did lower the power limit but this only helps if your CPU is getting too hot, however, lowering the power to 75w gets me a max temp of 61° in Cinebench and raising that to 80w limit gets a max temp of 66°

I have changed the orientation of my AIO from the side to the top and repasted but I don't think I was really expecting any miracles there so I think this time around I may have just not been lucky enough in the silicone lottery.

Last edited:
Soldato
I did a little more research on the 7800X3d and in general it seems there's more of a lottery with silicone at idle temps and Cinebench scores.
No end of people (like myself) are seeing higher idle temps but acceptable stress/gaming temps. I really don't understand why this chip won't just tick over at idle instead of boosting to 5ghz+ when there's no need. The lowest I can get at idle is 43° and that's with shutting down everything apart from Afterburner, whilst my I7 8700k sitting right next to it runs at 30° with other things running in the background.

I did lower the power limit but this only helps if your CPU is getting too hot, however, lowering the power to 75w gets me a max temp of 61° in Cinebench and raising that to 80w limit gets a max temp of 66°

I have changed the orientation of my AIO from the side to the top and repasted but I don't think I was really expecting any miracles there so I think this time around I may have just not been lucky enough in the silicone lottery.
What was the Cinebench score after lowering the power?

Soldato
Why are so many people still worrying about idle temps of these chips. They tend to idle up to low 50s and can and will spike to 60s. Gaming is mid 60s to low 70s and stress testing is low to mid 80s

It’s not the chip, it’s the owners failing to get out of the old “idle means low 30c” mindset.

I have upgraded the BIOS so often I even stopped putting in the PBO negative offset as it makes zero difference to actual performance and overall temperatures.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Why are so many people still worrying about idle temps of these chips. They tend to idle up to low 50s and can and will spike to 60s. Gaming is mid 60s to low 70s and stress testing is low to mid 80s

It’s not the chip, it’s the owners failing to get out of the old “idle means low 30c” mindset.

I have upgraded the BIOS so often I even stopped putting in the PBO negative offset as it makes zero difference to actual performance and overall temperatures.
Baffles me too, but they probably been using Intel too long and Ryzen behaves differently in that regard.

Eventually they'll understand 40c+ idle temps are normal for regular coolers and just enjoy the performance like the rest of us do.

Soldato
Idle temps nothing to worry about there.
iYI77Iu.png

Seeing as X3D chips run idle hotter in general than previous chips I have owned I just set the fans to react to higher temps so they are not speeding up unnessarily on light loads.

Last edited:
Soldato
I did tweak a fair bit for CPU curves and RAM for a while but the difference in actual use and games was unnoticeable.

Now I set my 7900 X3D to stock, select EXPO to 6000, choose silent fan profile but with CPU set to WPump for the AIO. It idles low 50s and games at mid 60s to low 70s. Stress testing pushes it to “who gives a crap Celsius”

This is with a cheapish ML240 AIO in a Meshify C case.

Last edited:
Associate
What was the Cinebench score after lowering the power?
To be honest it's never actually reached 18000 but lowering it to 80w and setting Cinebench to high priority the score was 17700.

As for being 'paranoid' about temps, I am still within my return window so I will try to get every ounce of data that I can before I can determine if there is an issue or not. Yes I have been with Intel for the last 7 years but I am not loyal to Red or Blue but just the best all round deal. I know it's pretty warm at the minute but I thought using a Deepcool Mystique 360 AIO in a Corsair 5000d case with positive airflow may just yield lower idle temps that's all. If this is what to expect and these temps are within tolerance then that's fine.

I have always tried to get the lowest temps on my systems for the sake of longevity and being new to AM5 is just a change to my norm, I am happy with gaming/stress temps but was just concerned with the idle.

Associate
To be honest it's never actually reached 18000 but lowering it to 80w and setting Cinebench to high priority the score was 17700.

As for being 'paranoid' about temps, I am still within my return window so I will try to get every ounce of data that I can before I can determine if there is an issue or not. Yes I have been with Intel for the last 7 years but I am not loyal to Red or Blue but just the best all round deal. I know it's pretty warm at the minute but I thought using a Deepcool Mystique 360 AIO in a Corsair 5000d case with positive airflow may just yield lower idle temps that's all. If this is what to expect and these temps are within tolerance then that's fine.

I have always tried to get the lowest temps on my systems for the sake of longevity and being new to AM5 is just a change to my norm, I am happy with gaming/stress temps but was just concerned with the idle.
I would uninstall as much windows 11 bloat as you can. I would also uninstall any programs that you are not using.

Back
Top Bottom