*** Samsung Galaxy Z Fold Thread (it can fold and everything) ***

Soldato
Okay, but some of that is just liking the features, rather than an eco-system lock-in (like sleep tracking. That can be done on a Pixel watch). Again, are you saying you can't send the photos from say a Pixel to your TV? I know I can do that and I have a Samsung TV and a Pixel 6...

Associate
Okay, but some of that is just liking the features, rather than an eco-system lock-in (like sleep tracking. That can be done on a Pixel watch). Again, are you saying you can't send the photos from say a Pixel to your TV? I know I can do that and I have a Samsung TV and a Pixel 6...
How do you send them to your TV? I just use dex myself and it's pretty easy.

Associate
Why would that stop them? To be clear, all those commands are done on your Android phone. It doesn't matter what brand the TV is as long as it has casting ability in it, which most these days do.
Casting apps photos etc is much better using a Samsung phone.

Soldato
It depends entirely on the television. My LG TV doesn't have Chromecast built in, yet I could share content to it quickly using my Samsung Galaxy Fold 2. With my Pixel, clicking the Chromecast icon within the Google Photos app returns a message that no compatible devices are found.

I'm pretty sure no LG TVs come with Chromecast built in, even recent revision OLEDs. There's a screen sharing app which has Miracast/Intel MiDi logos and has a very unhelpful and vague Android connection guide. Essentially Miracast utilises a WiFi direct connection, unlike Chromecast that uses a DIAL protocol (essentially grabs the content/connection from the internet itself after being pointed there).

Googling suggests Android has had Miracast support included since 4.2, but as I said, my Pixel Fold doesn't want anything to do with the LG TV I have (think it's a 8 series OLED).

So I can only assume Samsung not only supports Chromecast, but also supports other direct share protocols.

Soldato
That's interesting, and the argument could be around better compatibility, but I think it suggests I'm missing out on nothing? I have a Samsung TV and a Sony TV and both let me cast to them. Even if they didn't I have a few Chromecasts lying about as they gave them away in years gone by.

Personally, I prefer it connects my TV to a server with the content (such as Netflix) which means I can do whatever I like with my phone and it won't interfere. Can you control the feed of a Miracast with your TV remote? I like I can do that too.

The list of things I can cast too is pretty huge tbh as it includes speakers and speaker groups. Again, I like I can play a podcast or audiobook to my entire flat and listen to it as I walk around doing things.

I think it's more likely you just have a preference for what you have, it doesn't sound either is 'better' or 'worse' perhaps?

Soldato
I don't have a preference, although I would argue that Chromecast is the better solution purely by the fact that Miracast seems to have been pushed aside as a standard, at least by Google - looking further, an XDA Developer article says Google removed it in Android 6.0. For what it's worth, I have a Shield Pro so I do use Chromecast via that.

I think his point is still relevant though, if he has a Samsung TV that doesn't support Chromecast, then his SamsungTV & mobile setup is going to work "better" for him. Obviously he could buy a Chromecast.

When you say your Samsung TV allows casting, is that supported out of the box or with a Chromecast plugged in via HDMI? I assume your Sony TV has Android built in as I think they've using an Android based OS on those since circa 2015.

Last edited:
Soldato
When you say your Samsung TV allows casting, is that supported out of the box or with a Chromecast plugged in via HDMI?
That's a good point, I was thinking it was built in, but it might be a Chromecast actually (I can't check right now) as I say, there was a point they were giving them away with things, I know I have given some to family in the past and still have on in a box on a shelf. Mind you, I still see that as a plus. Can you buy cheaply a plug-in Miracast?

Soldato
I have a Samsung TV, Fold 4 and Tab S6. They connect seamlessly in screen sharing or casting to the TV. There is even a features where if you tap the device i
On the TV or even just put it down with a bit of a knock it connects to the TV. Can even split screen between the phone/Tab and whatever you are watching. Samsung TV uses Tizen OS.

Associate
I have a Samsung TV, Fold 4 and Tab S6. They connect seamlessly in screen sharing or casting to the TV. There is even a features where if you tap the device i
On the TV or even just put it down with a bit of a knock it connects to the TV. Can even split screen between the phone/Tab and whatever you are watching. Samsung TV uses Tizen OS.
Just to add with dex, I can use my Samsung phone or tablet as a touch pad on the big screen! I'm pretty sure you can still do this without a Samsung TV and phone, but the ease of using Samsung phone and tv is best.

Soldato
I can use my Samsung phone or tablet as a touch pad on the big screen!
Yeah, I remember doing this when I've owned Samsung's in the past and it is pretty cool. As I said before, I guess that's more about liking features Samsung give you, than lock-in to an eco system? As you say, it probably works on other TV's.

Associate
Yeah, I remember doing this when I've owned Samsung's in the past and it is pretty cool. As I said before, I guess that's more about liking features Samsung give you, than lock-in to an eco system? As you say, it probably works on other TV's.
Also until you find use for these features, it's pointless and not worthy of mention . A few days ago, my son was doing his theory test and we wanted to join in and help him revise. Within a few clicks of connecting my phone to our Samsung TV, he was able to do his revision on the big screen, and use the phone as a touch pad and we all joined in the fun. We also wanted to chose picture's to print for the staircase wall and we again hooked the phone on the TV, and within a few clicks, we could chose the pics we wanted to print. So again, I'm pretty sure this can be done on any android phone and tv, but it was seamless on the Samsung phone and tv!

Back
Top Bottom