Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 (G95NC) 57" Uber-Wide

Associate
Looks like if you turn the brightness up too high the monitor poos itself....although he had it plugged into an extension....early beta testers good luck! :eek:

Are OCuK getting them in?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Looks like if you turn the brightness up too high the monitor poos itself....although he had it plugged into an extension....early beta testers good luck! :eek:

Are OCuK getting them in?
I would see this post just after I've hit the order button :rolleyes:

Will let you know if mine turns out to be a dud!

Associate
I'll wait and see how people compare this with the 49" model, if it ends up having the edge for people I'll consider the upgrade, the price is better than I expected it to be as well.

Associate
I'll wait until Nvidia pull their finger out and support full res. My 3090 will do full res at 120hz and my Mac mini m1 wont run it so I don't think ill rush to get one anytime soon. Interested to see the reviews once out.

Caporegime
Can't say I'm surprised, it's on the bleeding edge of what is possible atm in several areas! Always get growing pains with them but they generally have to be applauded for pushing the envelope :cool:

Permabanned
I received mine yesterday and I'm slightly underwhelmed by the size of the 57" when compared to the 49".

So far, there haven't been any dead or stuck pixels, no apparent 'burn-in', and no popping capacitors, even at maximum brightness - fingers crossed!

The 57" is noticeably brighter and more vibrant than the G95T it's replacing. Having true deep blacks on a PC monitor is a first for me, and I must admit, I'm thoroughly impressed. However, when a small object is on a black background, there is obvious backlight bleed as expected from this type of technology. Having only 2k dimming zones on a panel this size simply isn't sufficient for achieving anything close to an OLED experience. Since I own a QLED TV, I'm used to the occasional halo effect that can occur. Personally, I prefer that to the constant burn-in anxiety that accompanies an OLED panel.

I've tested Battlefield 2042 a bit on the 6950XT, and it has performed quite well, considering the colossal resolution. At native resolution and low settings, it averages 60-80fps. With RSR at 5120x1440, it reaches 120fps on low settings. Ghosting doesn't seem to be an issue, but there's this odd behaviour I'm not accustomed to: during fast movements on a bright image, the outlines of the pixels appear to be very noticeable. They can't be individual pixels as they're minuscule. It's difficult to explain, but it gives the game a rather granular feel. I've experimented with various driver and monitor settings to no avail. If this persists I'll set up my camera with a macro lens to examine the issue more closely. Chances are it's just due to my tired eyes (the joys of having a newborn).

The core lighting on this model actually casts a slight illumination on the back wall (unlike the 49" version, which was a waste of time and electricity), and the 'CoreSync' feature that automatically adjusts the lighting based on the displayed image is a nice touch. It's nowhere near as good as Philips Hue, but it does the job to some extent.

So far I'm highly content with the 57" monitor. It's hard to justify the £2k investment over the 49", but the ability to have four full-sized windows open simultaneously is fantastic for boosting productivity - the primary reason for my purchase.

Will let you know if any faults begin to develop :cry:

Associate
I received mine yesterday and I'm slightly underwhelmed by the size of the 57" when compared to the 49".

So far, there haven't been any dead or stuck pixels, no apparent 'burn-in', and no popping capacitors, even at maximum brightness - fingers crossed!

The 57" is noticeably brighter and more vibrant than the G95T it's replacing. Having true deep blacks on a PC monitor is a first for me, and I must admit, I'm thoroughly impressed. However, when a small object is on a black background, there is obvious backlight bleed as expected from this type of technology. Having only 2k dimming zones on a panel this size simply isn't sufficient for achieving anything close to an OLED experience. Since I own a QLED TV, I'm used to the occasional halo effect that can occur. Personally, I prefer that to the constant burn-in anxiety that accompanies an OLED panel.

I've tested Battlefield 2042 a bit on the 6950XT, and it has performed quite well, considering the colossal resolution. At native resolution and low settings, it averages 60-80fps. With RSR at 5120x1440, it reaches 120fps on low settings. Ghosting doesn't seem to be an issue, but there's this odd behaviour I'm not accustomed to: during fast movements on a bright image, the outlines of the pixels appear to be very noticeable. They can't be individual pixels as they're minuscule. It's difficult to explain, but it gives the game a rather granular feel. I've experimented with various driver and monitor settings to no avail. If this persists I'll set up my camera with a macro lens to examine the issue more closely. Chances are it's just due to my tired eyes (the joys of having a newborn).

The core lighting on this model actually casts a slight illumination on the back wall (unlike the 49" version, which was a waste of time and electricity), and the 'CoreSync' feature that automatically adjusts the lighting based on the displayed image is a nice touch. It's nowhere near as good as Philips Hue, but it does the job to some extent.

So far I'm highly content with the 57" monitor. It's hard to justify the £2k investment over the 49", but the ability to have four full-sized windows open simultaneously is fantastic for boosting productivity - the primary reason for my purchase.

Will let you know if any faults begin to develop :cry:

Hi, it looks great! Would you happen to know how much depth (ie front to back) it is? I currently have a dell 49in, but whilst curved, its actually almost flat. My worry on more curvy monitors is that itll render to much deskspace unusable due to the curve. Also, do you happen to know if it charges laptops that are plugged into it for display purposes? My dell lets me plug in work lenovo by (i think?) thunderbolt or something, but also charges it at same time.

Soldato
Sorry am I being dumb (I'm absolutely willing to think I am), isn't this an OLED panel, if so where does the 'backlight bleed' come from?

<edit> yup being dumb, this isn't OLED :)

Last edited:
Soldato
How well does it handle other resolutions? I always had fun switching to 4:3 resolutions on the older G9 and it having a blinking fit or would crash when 240hz was enabled :/
been ok for me - i love the monitor it's end game kit for me - in terms of the QC it does have the natural occuring poping as the screen expands due to heat - which disappears after 10 minutes

Associate
Can owners of this help me decide if this fits my use case please!

Without going into all the reasons the main thing I'd like to know is if I set the resolution of a game to something lower than max res (say 5120x 1440) would it just put it in a vertical letterbox? And then would I get the performance improvement I'd expect with less pixels?

I'd be pairing it with a 4090 so I've got the hardware to push it, I just expect in some instances I'll be happier with lower res, letterbox and higher frames.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom