Saving Sessions / Demand reduction thread

The calculation.
The calculation is in effect two parts. The saving session window and the in day adjustment. Both are added together in order to calculate your session saving "reduction".

Session saving; this takes your average last 10 days usage, per half hour window, and compares them to the session usage per half hour. Any individual half hour period you use less in is added to your savings total. You don't get penalised if you use more in one(or more) half hour session(s).

The in day adjustment. This is the controversial one. This is supposed to indicate if your usage is up or down that day, in order to flex for eg cold weather. But its able to be gamed, should you wish.
The window is from -4 to -1 hours in comparison to the savings session. Eg if savings session is 5:30-7pm then the in day adjustment window is 1:30-4:30

It works the same way, in that it compares your usage to that for the preceding 10 days usage.
However it allows some gaming. Say you use normally 0.5kwh during the day in the in day adjustment window. If you move a load of usage into that window on that specific day then you will end up with a high in day usage adjustment.
Eg say I use my dishwasher and tumble drier and use 5kwh extra in that three hour period compared to normal. Each half hour savings session would be adjusted by 5(kwh) / 6 (3 hours x half hourly) = 0.833kwh being added to my savings, per half hour of the savings session length.

Note, the above 10 days relates to a weekday savings session. Weekends are different but pretty unlikely to happen really. The 10 days also excludes bank holidays and any previous saving sessions days since the usage pattern will be different.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've managed about £20 so far!

I need to up my game a bit it seems.

My goal, if you can call it one, would be to get back somewhere around £100 across all saving sessions. An advantage from nothing without rinsing it too much.

Secondary goal is not to just spin power for no reason at all, I want every kWh I import to be useful for something I actually need to use it for.

Not sure if we'll have many more of these though if temps improve?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm doing okay - £21.70 so far

52660448751_e463e43a24_z.jpg

Soldato
I moved all of my planned energy usage that day into a window before the session started, it was approx 40kWh. Usage in that period is used to calculate savings.

Sure, I know how the saving session points system works :p

What's the use which you shifted - car charging, Crypto mining....... ?

:: EDIT:: - I can see you see you added 40kWh now :)

Last edited:
Soldato
3788 points over 8 sessions.
Not a huge amount but i am happy enough. This was without gaming the system. Other than make sure my battery had enough power to cover the peak period (this sometmes involved turning the battery off earlier in the day but i still see that as a good thing as it meant i was not running out right at the peak point).

i could have made far more if i had, for example charged the battery a few hrs before the session, or turned off battery and used tumble drier before the session.................. but i didnt want to do that.

Soldato
I moved all of my planned energy usage that day into a window before the session started, it was approx 40kWh. Usage in that period is used to calculate savings.
so after that window you used zero energy???

Do you have plans for your energy usage any other day?? and whats your normal day energy usage??

Last edited:
Associate
Sure, I know how the saving session points system works :p

What's the use which you shifted - car charging, Crypto mining....... ?

:: EDIT:: - I can see you see you added 40kWh now :)

My car was about 26 and approx 10 in my battery. Washing machine, tumble drier and dishwasher did a bit. The only usage you could argue wasn't essential was cleaning the ovens.....however one of them was filthy and we'd not done them for a year.

Back
Top Bottom