Share Your Best Pizza Dough...

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
You mean it is sacrilege to pop the bubbles or to not pop them?

I'll have to try your pizza dough recipe sometime soon because I've never had success in the past.

I meant more that part where you cook the base separately before adding toppings :)

If you're getting too big bubbles I'd suggest maybe about 60 minutes before you plan to cook give the dough another quick knead. This will mean that when it re-rises the gas bubbles will be smaller, hopefully meaning you don't need to pop any.

edit: You've reminded me that I need to re-upload all my recipe/cooking images to alternative hosting though. I forgot that they were all hosted on my old dedi.

Associate
Soldato
Serious Eats does have some good articles.

Very interested to hear about the pizza oven. Is there a guide online that you're following?

Sure, it's this one here with a few mods.

http://www.gardenfork.tv/brick-pizza-oven-video-and-plans-gf-tv

So far I'm using

1 x Wooden Pallet
2 x Concrete Backer Board (exact measurement of pallet no cutting) - £20
120 Clay Class B - £20 (Found on The tree of gums)
6 x 90 degree rails - £30 from Selco

My design is modified on his, I have bricks with holes in so my floor is actually double his thickness as I've laid them on the side.

For the dough, I've got a huge order of Shipton Mill in http://www.shipton-mill.com/

Currently doing 5 day cold no knead with 00, but have a load of organic white flour and semolina so will do a few 00+semolina / White+Semolina in 15% mixtures.

Soldato
Thought I'd share this for anyone interested... Pizza oven built today, missing bit of the roof but functioned perfect. Next time ill build the final part of roof and drop it down a bit.

Some pictures of the build and pizzas.

Build
5otrLh5l.jpg
tw2TMCol.jpg

Fired with kindling / seasoned hard wood and then cooking with kiln dried hard wood as well as maintaining fire.

Pizzas
This dough is the best I've done to date... it was like being back in Rome. For the tomato I did as they do in italy, plum out of tin, through a siev and straight onto pizza, no seasoning needed (and not going back!). I will however get some san marzano next time to see if there is a noticeable difference.

First one
vmLdJbPl.jpg

Second
bqOvnNjl.jpg

Third
pqfvQUBl.jpg

I'm not going back to oven home pizzas now... nothing compares to this. 250c oven and pizza stone just don't cut it! Next time we're going to do a new york dough.

Last edited:
Soldato
I missed this previously. That looks awesome :)

What hydration ratio do you go for with your dough? I'm a fan of 65%.

Indeed, was 65% and the dough there was Neapolitan 5 day cold ferment.

Had another round since then with friends over and came out better but only did 2 days so less flavour... more consistent with rolling pin, the ones in those pics were hand stretched which is really difficult!

Going to do another 5 day and then try NY dough with olive oil

I'll make a build thread if anyone is interested, just incase others want to give it a go.

Last edited:
Soldato
That pizza oven is fantastic. I was looking to build a permanent one in my new house when i move. I think ill do one like that instead. Have you cooked anything else in there?

Man of Honour
That pizza oven is fantastic. I was looking to build a permanent one in my new house when i move. I think ill do one like that instead. Have you cooked anything else in there?

It's literally just arrived today so I've not cooked anything yet. I'll be posting with my results once I manage to give it a go though :)

edit: Lol, you were clearly talking to rexehuk

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That looks good. Still low temp, but still almost twice as hot as a normal oven. Be interested in the results. As it's compact and convenient.

Man of Honour
Once you've modded it you can reach much higher temps. I probably won't do absolutely everything initially but disabling the thermostat and adding an extra heat reflector are relatively simple mods I'll be applying. Eventually I'll look into adding a motor to rotate the stone and an extra heating element to the top.

Back
Top Bottom