Share Your Best Pizza Dough...

Soldato
rexehuk was it this recipe you used but left for 5 days?

Ingredients
500g Shipton Mill 00 Flour
1tsp Salt
1 Tsp Sugar
7g Dried Yeast
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
320ml Warm Water

Soldato
Thats one off the Shipton Mill site, looks good. Think ill try it at the weekend.
Ive never actually left a dough for more than about 5 hours when making a pizza. When you do, do you have to keep it warm, room temp or in the fridge?

Also, a gluten free pizza dough recipe would be good. Ive never tried it and actually wouldnt know where to start.

Man of Honour
Thats one off the Shipton Mill site, looks good. Think ill try it at the weekend.
Ive never actually left a dough for more than about 5 hours when making a pizza. When you do, do you have to keep it warm, room temp or in the fridge?

Also, a gluten free pizza dough recipe would be good. Ive never tried it and actually wouldnt know where to start.

If you're leaving it for several days then fridge temperature is the best. You also won't need to knead the dough at all. Just mix it thoroughly before putting it in the fridge. Make sure the container is sealed and you grease or flour the dough/surface.

Soldato
rexehuk was it this recipe you used but left for 5 days?

Ingredients
500g Shipton Mill 00 Flour
1tsp Salt
1 Tsp Sugar
7g Dried Yeast
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
320ml Warm Water

Nope!

I don't do teaspoons either, I recommend drug scales! Bought them for measuring salt in bread, can get a set cheap on zon. If you're using sea salt (which I do) I usually grind to powder in pestle before I add.

There is no olive oil in Neapolitan doughs, you'll find that in things like other italian dough / american doughs. Not tried it with Neapolitan, but imagine it would firm the base up, and add crispy crust rather than puffy/chewy, by no means would it be bad!

If you want to give my recipe a go it is:

All-purpose or bread flour: 100%
Salt: 2%
Instant yeast: 1.5 %
Water: 65%

So to break that out:

500G Flour (I used 00 Shipton Mill)
10G Salt
7.5G yeast
325g water

The method is super simple as mentioned, add flour to bowl, yeast and salt on separate sides, add the water and mix it up good until you've got no loose flour.

Some people now leave it out for a few hours, which you can do... however I stuck mine straight in the fridge as I was doing 5 day ferment. If you're in a rush (2/3 days) I'd leave it out for maybe 6 hours, and then stick in fridge to retard it and let it ferment a bit.

DO NOT seal completely as you want air in/around the dough so it ferments. I usually cover with cling film, and knife a few holes in it. Do however make sure you don't have anything smelly in your fridge, or it will take on the flavour... but maybe curry flavoured dough may be nice :D

I do however think you should try the full 5 days, there is a noticeable difference in crust inflation/bubbling and burn. With a 2 day it'll still be nice, but won't have that kind of soughdough taste.

If you're interested in reading about different doughs, I posted this one before - http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/07/the-pizza-lab-three-doughs-to-know.html

Last edited:
Soldato
Awesome! thanks man, going to grab some flour at lunch. I think ill knock some up tonight and leave it till the weekend. How many pizza do you get out of 500g? be easier to gauge when im partition it up into pizza sized balls

Soldato
Awesome! thanks man, going to grab some flour at lunch. I think ill knock some up tonight and leave it till the weekend. How many pizza do you get out of 500g? be easier to gauge when im partition it up into pizza sized balls

From memory... I think I got 4 maybe 5 balls at 200g each (makes sense around 850g additives).

All of those pictured were hand rolled, but it was quite difficult to master! I took a rolling pin to my second lot, and actually they came out pretty good and still puffed up.

With a 5 day, there is so much air structure, it's probably worth hand shaping... not sure what impact a rolling pin would have, but you'll still have yummy pizza.

Also, just seen you're not cooking with fire... this dough needs very hot ovens, a true one recommends like over 400C to get the desired bubbling, but be cool to see pictures of how it turns out! These babies cook in <90 seconds in my oven.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That's right - a ~200g dough ball made with either of the above recipes will require ~125g of flour.

As rexehuk said, hand shaping is best but you can get away with a rolling pin. You'll just need to let it re-rise again a little afterwards rather than be able to stick it straight in the oven.

Soldato
Ill probably do these on a stone in the bbq, i can get to 300+c in there no problem so i will give that a try. Ill definitely be revisiting it when i get some oven building materials tho!

When i used to make the jamie oliver pizza dough recipes it was pretty great but i always thought it lacked something. Looking forward to trying these.

I know a couple of people who are gluten free and its a bit of a pita for them when we have certain foods, i thought it would be a nice surprise to make them a pizza!:D

Man of Honour
I believe they're one in the same. Normally there's non-instant vs instant which is essentially whether or not you need to bloom the yeast first.

Regardless, I wouldn't buy a tin of dried yeast. Sachets keep far better so you're on a bit of a false economy when you buy a big tin like that.

Caporegime
yea that active yeast isn't suitable for bread machines.

so it activates a lot slower.

if you want to bang out a quick pizza you would likely want to use active yeast, it still ferments fine in the fridge over a few days

Regardless, I wouldn't buy a tin of dried yeast. Sachets keep far better so you're on a bit of a false economy when you buy a big tin like that.
I had a pack of dove yeast in the cupboard for about a year and it still made bread fine

Associate
Gonna try some of these out guys, I love home made pizza (would love real oven!) but every dough recipe I've tried is still not giving me that super amazing base I'm looking for. Maybe it's my kneading technique...

Caporegime
what kind of base are you looking for?
if you want an airy base you need to let it rise after you shape it before you put it in the oven.

if you want a flat crispy base roll it out with a rolling pin, also stretch the dough to shape it should stretch a lot without tearing so you don't even need much dough

Last edited:
Soldato
Gonna try some of these out guys, I love home made pizza (would love real oven!) but every dough recipe I've tried is still not giving me that super amazing base I'm looking for. Maybe it's my kneading technique...

This is probably down to oven, more than anything.

After trying a few things, kneading and getting different results.. the easiest and best tasting is a no knead with long ferment.

Only downside is the time in fridge, but actual prep time can be 10 minutes! So a tiny chore on a Monday evening, can yield you dough for Friday/Saturday without issue.

You can also divide it and freeze it, and will be just as good when you defrost and use.

Man of Honour
I generally agree with rexehuk but one thing I'll say is that the bane of a lot of home bread-making is often low hydration of the dough. Very very roughly speaking, more hydration = better bread. Of course, more hydration also makes the dough substantially harder to work with (sticky). You should also be careful of how much flour you use when kneading and/or rolling or stretching. You could make something that is very high hydration and then use so much flour working with the dough that you essentially drop the hydration down to 50% or similar.

Back
Top Bottom