Should I be worried?

Soldato
Not sure. I play the odd game on its that's the problem. It's majorly annoying really.
Almost everything will run under proton now when you install Steam. It's definitely an option - Steam Deck has really accelerated things in recent years. Just have to check the list: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/679B-EC53-5A6D-6D7D

It won't be suitable for everyone depending on what apps you're using.

My laptop runs Ubuntu and I play Steam games on it fine.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Almost everything will run under proton now when you install Steam. It's definitely an option - Steam Deck has really accelerated things in recent years. Just have to check the list: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/679B-EC53-5A6D-6D7D

It won't be suitable for everyone depending on what apps you're using.

My laptop runs Ubuntu and I play Steam games on it fine.

Shall have a look nearer the time.
Got a year or so yet. And who knows. MS may need to extend support.

Caporegime
OP still thinks it 1990 something, and has never heard of Windows defender
I'm fully protected :D
DGn9u7k.gif

If you don't recognise this image then your probably to lame or a llama

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a horrible piece of clunky software that you don't even need, for which you're paying an exorbitant price. It's OK for malware removal, but it sucks at real time protection,
I haven't noticed it being "clunky" but i agree that their pricing for their personal solution is high although they do occasionally offer decent discounts on it.

so all it'll take to ruin your day is one naughty script that the software can't even recognise.
It would be a bit more than that but sure, although it's arguably the same for any other product and/or solution. It still doesn't negate the fact that built-in solutions, Defender, Gatekeeper etc, are usually the first to be bypassed during any infection though.

As always, each to their own :)

Associate
I may just bin it off. The entire PC would need to be ungraded. No way I'm spending 1000-2000 on something I use every now and again.

So wasteful with 1000s of pcs becoming unsupported.

69 a year is probably better than scrapping. Will have to weigh up the best solution.
Out of interest, Windows 10 LTSC IoT (Internet of Things) will be supported until Jan 13th 2032.

Obviously I'm not suggesting that you should install this and run a readily available script to permanently activate it on your hardware, as this would be in breach of Microsoft's EULA.

Back
Top Bottom