*** Show Off Your Apple Hardware ***

Associate
How's the keyboard cover?

My concern with them is if you close the lid it will transfer all the gunk to the screen.
I have a screen protector (plastic) applied to the screen too, no fingerprints or key outlines as of yet... BUT I do semi-regularly (once a week) clean the keyboard protector and 2-3 times a week screen (protector).
The keyboard protector is fairing well, just have to dust and detergent-wipe it when I type for extended periods. I'm not sure how the MBP's screen (without a screen protector) would fair with a keyboard protector - I'm well aware of the key imprints left of the screen left by finger oil; not surprised if the same problem persists with an oily keyboard protector.

The screen protector however isn't fairing as well, a lot of micro scratches from wiping (with screen cleaner) - the cloths I use are either glass-lens cloths or a similar to apple's "cloth". The screen protector was applied within two days of getting the MBP, so it's almost a year ago.

Last edited:
Associate
Not strictly (fully) Apple hardware but I just picked up a Huawei MateView 28 to accompany my 16“ M1 Pro:

bAzKlZ2.jpg

Initial impressions are I’m very happy with it. It’s my first 4K monitor for a MacBook and it hasn’t disappointed. The aspect ratio is quite a departure from my Alienware 34 UW but after years of trying different monitors for both work and play I recently moved my Sim Racing onto VR so I’m now finally able to buy a monitor just for work.
How have you found the performance of 4k display, do things scale well? - Not sure what type of workflow you undertake, how is it in terms of colour reproduction?

Soldato
How have you found the performance of 4k display, do things scale well? - Not sure what type of workflow you undertake, how is it in terms of colour reproduction?
In summary, I'm still very happy with it.
The scaling option I use (2560x1707 apparently) is just perfect for my own needs. A few years ago I may well have just run it at native res but alas I favour comfort these days.
Despite MacOS itself saying that non-native resolutions may impact performance I have encountered no such issues in day-to-day use. I tested it against both the native resolutions and noticed no difference.
However, where I HAVE noticed it is in Capture One and when I am working on an image in full screen. I have noticed some lag the doing pixel intensive tasks such as adjusting clarity etc. It's a very isolated issue and one that is easily rectified by either changing the scaling or just simply resizing the window that I am working on for that particular task.

For my 9-5 I primarily read PDF documents and use Excel/Access. For those purposes I find the aspect ratio much more pleasing than 16:9, and particularly 21:9, where I find the extra height more useful than the extra width on the latter.

For my freelance/hobby photography workflow, again the aspect ratio is absolutely spot on - the 4:3 nature of RAW photos works perfectly with the monitor.
As for colour reproduction, I may not be the best person to offer quantitative advice. All I can say I find the colours superb for my needs and what has impressed me are the black levels - considering it's an IPS panel.
I use the monitor in HDR mode (I know it's not true HDR) but it adds a lovely pop and contrast to all round usage.

So far it's the closest display I've used, in terms of quality, to the MacBook screen itself. Of course, if I had the money I would splurge on one of the Apple displays, but for the price this Huawei is a solid purchase IMO.

Last edited:
Soldato
just need to go into Apple, maybe tomorrow and get the Alpine Loop in Orange. Not a huge fan of the White Ocean Band. Just hard to get a watch in general, so hey, I'll take it! :)

bJxBjqW.jpg

Associate
There's a Mac Mini M2 Pro somewhere in there.
I've flipped to using it for WFH as it uses less juice than the PC.
The PC gets turned on at evenings and weekends.
Main downside of the Mac is that it isn't so good at keeping my feet warm.

ZeVDZQ.jpg

Soldato
Nicely done, what spec did you go for?

I forgot to post this a couple of weeks ago...

eTN7EoC.jpeg

thanks Feek, I love it, such a great all-round experience.

I just went for the base spec as this is only for the basic tasks.

Is yours Space Grey? I went for Midnight as I always thought it was gorgeous, but does get a bit "grubby" very easily, but I can live with that! :)

Soldato
Yup, that's what my old one was, that's what the new one is. I actually fancied silver this time but when I decided I wanted it, I wanted it NOW and the spec I wanted was on a couple of weeks lead time if I went silver.

haha, I usually the same mate!

what's your M2 Air specs??

ajf

ajf

Soldato
For those of you using monitors, what do you recommend?
I‘ve read comments that MacBooks don’t work well with 4k resolution and scaling, but at the same time, many seem to use them anyway.
Is it actually a noticeable issue to much of a degree?

Soldato
For those of you using monitors, what do you recommend?
I‘ve read comments that MacBooks don’t work well with 4k resolution and scaling, but at the same time, many seem to use them anyway.
Is it actually a noticeable issue to much of a degree?

Studio display in all honesty is my only real recommendation, I've not had much luck with scaling on other monitors in comparison to anything Apple make or sell on their own website. The old Ultrafines were decent if you got a good one.

Back
Top Bottom