Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Caporegime
Advantages are you can get green beans very cheaply, you can play with the roast levels to your hearts content and it can be a fun new hobby.

Disadvantages are that it's hard to get consistency with a small roaster like that, you never quite know what your going to get each time, and can't easily replicate it when it goes well. You end up with a lot of waste. Green beans are generally sold in big batches and the good stuff is snapped up by the roasters.

It can be fun but adds annother, massively complex, later in front of making a coffee :)

I know green beans last longer, but it takes me like a few months to go through just 1 kilo so imagine getting just 5kg of beans, it will last like a whole year! I might as well buy freshly roasted ones as I need them. The maths just doesn't work.

Last edited:
Soldato
That looks rather interesting - what would you recommend from their Base range to pair with it, something good with milk. Have you tried their Mexican Washed?

Caporegime
Made my first espresso in like a year…so rusty, my work flow was way out of sync.

k1ssAzu.jpeg

Soldato
Niche Zero inbound!
Was tempted by the Duo but Hoffman's latest YouTube video made it seem not worth the price difference.
I did fancy a flat burr grinder but nothing seems to come close to the Niche Zero in terms of cost and user reviews.

Caporegime
Niche Zero inbound!
Was tempted by the Duo but Hoffman's latest YouTube video made it seem not worth the price difference.
I did fancy a flat burr grinder but nothing seems to come close to the Niche Zero in terms of cost and user reviews.

I saw that video and made me love my Zero even more lol

For the price....I think Niche Zero + Ode Gen 2...which comes to £850, would be a better combo. Takes up more space for sure but it's only £70 more than a Duo with 2 sets of Burrs. One can also just leave both in their ideal setting and no need to swap them over.

edit - I rewatched the video again last night and noticed he said that he preferred the Niche Zero making filter than the Niche Duo making filter with it's Filter Burr....which means the Duo is entirely redundant.

Espresso - He can't tell the difference
Pour over/Filter - He prefers the Zero

Then why get the Duo at all? besides using it as a platform to try other flat burrs.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the Eureka Filtro for pour over, and another mignon for espresso. Not as fancy looking as the niche but for the price one of them I can have two different grinders always dialled in right for either pour over or espresso, works for me!

Actually Eureka are selling some nicer hoppers now that make them looks a bit more flash. Might have to upgrade :)

Soldato
Then why get the Duo at all? besides using it as a platform to try other flat burrs.
While the video didn't put me off flat burr grinders, it helped me settle for the conical of the Niche Zero. Until I saw the video I was almost determined to purchase a flat burr grinder.

Last edited:
Caporegime
While the video didn't put me off flat burr grinders, it helped me settle for the conical of the Niche Zero. Until I saw the video I was almost determined to purchase a flat burr grinder.

I actually have the Ode Gen 2 in my basket on Amazon, but after hearing that the Zero makes a nicer cup of filter than the Duo with Flat Burr, it makes me question whether I should bother with the Ode at all...I am 95% certain I won't be able to tell the difference.

Soldato
anyone wanting to try an amazingly fruity, sweet lighter roast coffee this stuff is great: https://www.northstarroast.com/en-g...pple-anaerobic-natural?variant=44705265844453
Had a 500g of it a little while back and might have to order some more...
Small world, I'm sat about 30 seconds from North Star in Leeds and nearly bought some this morning as it sounded so interesting. I'll have to pick up a bag now!

I've been really enjoying pour over at home the last few months and treated myself to an Ode 2 last week.

Associate
I'm local to north star and got a couple bags in a week or so back..the house blend is good as an Americano, choc hazelnut .

On the niche Ive had one since shortly after launch when you could scalp them. Heard it best described as the "cheapest best grinder" which i think still holds water. Diminishing returns after that price point but there are gains especially if you value clarity and fruit forward shots. I've flirted getting one of the bigger flats last year but ultimately never bothered because I used pour over + hand grinder when I want clarity and the zero for espressos with body.

Caporegime
I'm local to north star and got a couple bags in a week or so back..the house blend is good as an Americano, choc hazelnut .

On the niche Ive had one since shortly after launch when you could scalp them. Heard it best described as the "cheapest best grinder" which i think still holds water. Diminishing returns after that price point but there are gains especially if you value clarity and fruit forward shots. I've flirted getting one of the bigger flats last year but ultimately never bothered because I used pour over + hand grinder when I want clarity and the zero for espressos with body.

What hand grinder would you recommend for pour over?

Associate
My shortlist at the time was between comandante and the 1zpresso. I went with the kplus for brew versatility.

1zpresso have since relaunched the zp6 and I exclusively use the pulsar for pour overs now. 120-150 brews without picking up another brewer so if I was looking now the zp6 would be top of my shortlist.

Back
Top Bottom