Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Caporegime
Starting to suspect Wogan's shipping notifications are a fib :x

bvxGX3D.png

Soldato
I exclusively use the pulsar for pour overs now
they seem to be a reasonable £40 in usa but £70 (rip-off) in uk - but better design than valved clever dripper ,
-exclusively espresso but have been looking for an acceptable pour-over entry point , albeit a flow control espresso machine would give a mid-point.

Associate
they seem to be a reasonable £40 in usa but £70 (rip-off) in uk - but better design than valved clever dripper ,
-exclusively espresso but have been looking for an acceptable pour-over entry point , albeit a flow control espresso machine would give a mid-point.
Papers arent well stocked and tend to be expensive UK side too. I had to pay more than I wanted to over the Xmas period because the paper sizes are non standard. I think they were testing the waters a little with the release but it looks to have sold well. Expect prices to come down if the next run produces more units.

As a heads you they're more suited for larger brews due to diameter and bed depth, I go with 25/425

Soldato
Well just picked up a lightly used Sage Oracle for a very good price. A bit late in the evening to really test it properly and want to run a full clean cycle on it etc. before making judgment, however made an espresso and a latte and was very surprised (in a good way) with the result. Looking forward to tinkering with some of the settings over the next couple of weeks. :)

Anyone have one of these already, bought any interesting upgrades or have any tips?

Soldato
Niche Zero arrived today. About 800g of cheap beans has gone through to season it. Looking forward to trying it out on some Wogan Monsoon Malabar AA beans that my Sage BE grinder couldn't grind fine enough.
The dosing cup is sized for the 58mm standard portafilter as opposed to Sage's 54mm. It's a very small issue, if an issue at all, but I don't need much convincing before I look at upgrading the espresso machine to a Lelit Bianca V2 / ECM Synchronika / Profitec Pro 700 - or any other comparable machine.

Caporegime
Niche Zero arrived today. About 800g of cheap beans has gone through to season it. Looking forward to trying it out on some Wogan Monsoon Malabar AA beans that my Sage BE grinder couldn't grind fine enough.
The dosing cup is sized for the 58mm standard portafilter as opposed to Sage's 54mm. It's a very small issue, if an issue at all, but I don't need much convincing before I look at upgrading the espresso machine to a Lelit Bianca V2 / ECM Synchronika / Profitec Pro 700 - or any other comparable machine.

Get yourself a 54mm dosing funnel (magnetic if possible).

Soldato
went nuts and bought some coffee equipment

TPkfisM.jpeg

seem to have got enough of a hang of it so far
amazed how much difference the WDT tool thingy and the springy tamper actually made, after initially resisting buying into the hype
so far refusing to do weighing at this stage as process is already unsustainably faffy :D
also haven't given in an bought a bottomless portafilter or puck screen yet but only a matter of time I expect

Last edited:
Caporegime
went nuts and bought some coffee equipment

TPkfisM.jpeg

seem to have got enough of a hang of it so far
amazed how much difference the WDT tool thingy and the springy tamper actually made, after initially resisting buying into the hype
so far refusing to do weighing at this stage as process is already unsustainably faffy :D
also haven't given in an bought a bottomless portafilter or puck screen yet but only a matter of time I expect

Weighing is the most important thing for consistency!

Soldato
refusing to do weighing at this stage as process is already unsustainably faffy :D
If you think weighing is a faff and you're on the verge of buying a bottomless portafilter, you're in for a surprise. Wait until you're cleaning up channelled espresso that has fired in every direction. The spouted portafilter conceals a lot of our mistakes and inconsistencies. The bottomless portafilter exposes them and punishes accordingly.

Associate
Hard to get that mousetail with the newer high extraction baskets. Reluctant to spend that much money unnecessarily it has forced me to try paper filters and I can taste the difference. Added benefit of helping with puck integrity giving me super stable flow rates.

Caporegime
It is not good for day to day use as it just goes everywhere.
Only if you aren't very good. I've used mine every day for 9 years now and it was only uneven/spitting for the first week or so to get things good. If it's "going everywhere" your distribution, tamp, or dare I say.. use of a shower screen mesh are poor. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
That thin, solid stream, dead-center of the PF, is your panacea.

You'll start with the equivalent of someone blowing a raspberry in your face, though.
More like going for a pee the morning after when you didn't flush the pipes :p

Had a coffee at an achingly hipster place in Notts a few weeks ago and they had an electronic tamper which not gonna, I want. Had a Weber grinder as well I think.

Caporegime
Only if you aren't very good. I've used mine every day for 9 years now and it was only uneven/spitting for the first week or so to get things good. If it's "going everywhere" your distribution, tamp, or dare I say.. use of a shower screen mesh are poor. :p

First thing in the morning, before coffee, trying to make it perfect isn’t the best time in the day for consistency.

Try lay some white paper towels around the machine, you will find micro drops all over.

Even if it happens once every 100 cups it would annoy me…how good at you? Lol

Back
Top Bottom