Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Caporegime
Thanks to @alex24 sending me his gauge I have now adjusted my Gaggia classic down from (what was 13 bars showing in the gauge) down to 10 bars in accordance to this guide, which translate to 9bar when in use.

Bring on better espressos!

Last edited:
Soldato
To be brutally honest, £500 at this level is meh, I wouldn't touch a £500 bean to cup machine basically. I wouldn't upgrade from what you have because it's not going to get much better if at all. Hoffmann did one comparison 2 years ago for machine starting from £1,000, even that wasn't all roses.

I'm not really looking for an upgrade, just a replacement for a machine that's getting long in the tooth, it's made 10,000 coffees, and is starting to leak a little.

Soldato
Surely dropping a grand on one is a bargain then, at just 10p a coffee ;)

Will the coffee from £1000 worth of kit be twice as good as the coffee from £500 worth?

I almost always have a double shot long coffee with milk, or a single shot espresso, and just want something easy to use that also tastes better than instant! :cry:

Soldato
Thanks to @alex24 sending me his gauge I have now adjusted my Gaggia classic down from (what was 13 bars showing in the gauge) down to 10 bars in accordance to this guide, which translate to 9bar when in use.

Bring on better espressos!

I noticed a big difference, especially in being able to be more repeatable and consistent as well as better shots as a result with less channelling.

Did you see an improvement?

Caporegime
Since I've not used the machine in over a year, black flushed, cleaned it out and did a test shot last night (I never drink the first shot after cleaning with chemicals), 18g in, 36g out...12 seconds! On 13 setting on the Niche Zero.

Using the naked portafilter, it looked good but some spitting (found 2 spots) in front, ignore the wet patch.

zQVZchzh.jpg

aGpcpFjl.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
12 seconds is fast even for a turbo. You're probably in the right grind range for an allonge though. If your beans are med to medlight could pull out 80-90

Soldato
for the naked portafilter I thought the important quality indication was as it starts to flow ... but when using a spout, crema output, for me anyway, is only obvious at the end.

Can't adjust extraction pressure on my HX(unless I cut a spring), but would like to verify brew temperature ;
I had previously changed brew thermostat on my Silvia, the HX has a pressurestat, for boiler temp that had previously stuck (I had soaked microswitch in alcohol, and also previously cleaned boiler relay contacts, too)

On a hx , like temperature surfing on a silvia, temperature is somewhat, what you want; but, equally even for pressure can grind finer, or, coarser.

Soldato
Hi all,

Been a while since I've posted in here but I come seeking some opinions and advice if I may.

Unfortunately, my Sage Barista Express has packed up. What started with Steam Wand issues, upon investigation - it appears my 3 way top pipe connector has rotted away and started to leak on the Solenoid (which I then successfully replaced). Unfortunately, this didn't resolve the issue. So I dug further and found that the tube that feeds the Assembly from the Solenoid was completely stuck and I wasn't able to remove it.

At first I thought it didn't come out, however with a little research it does it appear its meant to. So much so, I've broken the tube off but the actual brass fitting is still stuck from limescale. I'm currently trying to use vinegar to soak away the limescale and get it out - with no success. Leaving me with something like this, clogged hole on the left (I have removed the metal tube end, but the brass fitting is still stuck). I must add, Ive descaled many times, with various products - clearly not often enough?

AKGpihYoS7DH3VveA7dsOuNG7EPlVZkYk10tBdSKghLC4LE98y80oYLz18jz3cn3PGrdZUhsY_Lt6eL74-qZdnfM7FaPGU1R=s1600-v0

So now I'm left with no working coffee machine (have been for a while), whilst I decide what to do next. I believe it needs a new steam valve assembly but this isn't cheap and I'm not entirely sure on how to replace it. So we come to decision point, I've already put in some money to replace the solenoid and all the orings (£50). The steam valve assembly likely another £70 + not entirely sure how to fit it (I can't find any videos or how to).

So option 1) I think it might be time to look at an upgrade, potentially Sage Barista Pro (I'd love dual boiler but a bit out of £) or potentially a two machine option of separate grinder and espresso machine. I know this has been recommended on this thread in the past for the exact problem I have now.

Could someone please share there opinions on the latest best options? Budget wise around the £800 for both might work. Maybe this budget is too low?

Hopefully I can sell the BSE as parts on Ebay - they vary in range on sold prices.

Option 2) I take the hit, attempt the repair and hope for the best. Although, I've been thinking for some time its time to move on from this machine. Assuming someone might know a how to do video for this part :)

What do we think is best? Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hi all,

Been a while since I've posted in here but I come seeking some opinions and advice if I may.

Unfortunately, my Sage Barista Express has packed up. What started with Steam Wand issues, upon investigation - it appears my 3 way top pipe connector has rotted away and started to leak on the Solenoid (which I then successfully replaced). Unfortunately, this didn't resolve the issue. So I dug further and found that the tube that feeds the Assembly from the Solenoid was completely stuck and I wasn't able to remove it.

At first I thought it didn't come out, however with a little research it does it appear its meant to. So much so, I've broken the tube off but the actual brass fitting is still stuck from limescale. I'm currently trying to use vinegar to soak away the limescale and get it out - with no success. Leaving me with something like this, clogged hole on the left (I have removed the metal tube end, but the brass fitting is still stuck). I must add, Ive descaled many times, with various products - clearly not often enough?

AKGpihYoS7DH3VveA7dsOuNG7EPlVZkYk10tBdSKghLC4LE98y80oYLz18jz3cn3PGrdZUhsY_Lt6eL74-qZdnfM7FaPGU1R=s1600-v0

So now I'm left with no working coffee machine (have been for a while), whilst I decide what to do next. I believe it needs a new steam valve assembly but this isn't cheap and I'm not entirely sure on how to replace it. So we come to decision point, I've already put in some money to replace the solenoid and all the orings (£50). The steam valve assembly likely another £70 + not entirely sure how to fit it (I can't find any videos or how to).

So option 1) I think it might be time to look at an upgrade, potentially Sage Barista Pro (I'd love dual boiler but a bit out of £) or potentially a two machine option of separate grinder and espresso machine. I know this has been recommended on this thread in the past for the exact problem I have now.

Could someone please share there opinions on the latest best options? Budget wise around the £800 for both might work. Maybe this budget is too low?

Hopefully I can sell the BSE as parts on Ebay - they vary in range on sold prices.

Option 2) I take the hit, attempt the repair and hope for the best. Although, I've been thinking for some time its time to move on from this machine. Assuming someone might know a how to do video for this part :)

I would get a Profitec Go + a DF 54. But about £250 over your budget…

Single boiler but it has an accessible OPV and built in PID.

The grinder is very well reviewed, good for espresso and pour over.

Last edited:
Soldato

I'd take a look at "parts only" sold prices and make a call on whether to repair it before selling for a higher price.

As a parallel process to buying a new machine maybe as it sounds like you're ready for one :)

Soldato
I'd take a look at "parts only" sold prices and make a call on whether to repair it before selling for a higher price.

As a parallel process to buying a new machine maybe as it sounds like you're ready for one :)
I just cant find any how to videos on the repair is the issue :D
I would get a Profitec Go + a DF 54. But about £250 over your budget…

Single boiler but it has an accessible OPV and built in PID.

The grinder is very well reviewed, good for espresso and pour over.
Will take a look - thanks

Edit - taken a look, it has features ive never even heard of. Maybe too advanced and fiddley? Do i think my wife could use it if i wasnt there? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
had you run machine in hot water through steam wand mode, during descaling - although fluid wouldn't really sit for a length of time in that region.
in for a penny - I'd cut the remaining plastic tube out and try using a pick to get olive out - I've used safety pins where I bent point at right angles with pliers.

-----------
Espresso'ing .. used naked for second of evenings doubles - ok it's difficult to time it to get good initial crema picture, + basket is 10mm above pf rim - nothing too dirty.
have to put the pf on a piece of wood for the tamp, since can't press down on spout.

53617520898_e5402a08bb_b.jpg

Soldato
15g in, 30g out.

Channelling happening and made a mess on the side, straight into my Niche.

Timing was good but it was a bit sour…hmmmm

pUBx2h3.jpeg

cxKvl1E.jpeg

0nko0z5.jpeg
The channelling would mess up the flavour and make it sour.

The trick to good espresso in my experience is tamping, don't over do it. If you need a longer extraction then grind finer rather than tamping harder.

Keep meaning to get a measured tamper, but I'm pretty consistent with my technique now. I prefer to press my fingertips around the edge of the tamper rather than leaning on the knob, more tactile and easier to gauge.

I'm usually doing 16g in, 32g out in 35-40 seconds for light roasts.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The channelling would mess up the flavour and make it sour.

The trick to good espresso in my experience is tamping, don't over do it. If you need a longer extraction then grind finer rather than tamping harder.

Keep meaning to get a measured tamper, but I'm pretty consistent with my technique now. I prefer to press my fingertips around the edge of the tamper rather than leaning on the knob, more tactile and easier to gauge.

I'm usually doing 16g in, 32g out in 35-40 seconds for light roasts.

Perhaps I’ll get a measured tamper like this one.

edit - ordered it, half the price of a similar looking one compared to Amazon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom