Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
That Delongi looks good - it takes a mug and the steam wand will be good if the mrs wants a capo or a hot chocolate.

I'll see if I can find out more and see if it will do a mug of water. The French coffees are smaller typically and I'm using a small mug (not a bucket). It also does capsules so that can be an option for quick backup and no beans around. It also seems you can programme the cup volume. This could make it easy - with the two cup basically doing a mug and the one cup doing an espresso. Heat up time is 30 seconds.. which is acceptable, so by the time you've sorted coffee, cup and water.. it's warmed up.
Sage Precision Brewer might be more your thing?

Caporegime
I (perhaps foolishly) bought a Black Mirror Nano to go with my classic pro. Quite a bit of money but it’s doing what I wanted, and very small so fits on the drip tray of the Gaggia.

I use a single sprout PF, in order to fit scales under the cup, I would have to either remove the drip tray completely or use a naked PF. The bottom of the single sprout PF actually goes into the cup by about 2mm. I need to tilt the cup to get it under.

Caporegime
spout* :p

I bought the MHW-3Bomber scales about a month ago. Not the mini though, as I use them for weighing food stuffs when cooking, too. I like them, they were (relatively) cheap and perform better than the Brewista Mk2 scales I had been using before.

Last edited:

OG

OG

Associate
We're about 4 weeks into our new upgraded setup from a Sage Bambino Plus + Sage smart grinder to a Profitec Pro 700 + Niche Zero.

I'm blown away by the difference in well just about everything (unsurprisingly!)... the consistency of the espresso we're getting is fantastic. Our espresso generally seems to be a tad richer with a much more balanced amount of crema which we're definitely both enjoying. We used to really struggle getting 'good' shots from light/medium roasts on our previous setup but after some dialling in even my wife was enjoying some of the lighter roast shots! Manually steaming milk (we just used the auto function on the Bambino) has taken some getting used to but the Profitec has such a high volume of steam pressure it feels very easy to make changes 'on the fly' to the way the milk is currently steaming. Using both machines is an absolute joy and definitely made our daily morning coffee more of an experience.

A few quick questions about e61 group maintenance (as there seems to be quite a bit of conflicting bits online and there's no specific guidance provided by Profitec). Short of regularly backflushing and provided we use decent quality water is there any other maintenance we should be looking to do? I gather cleaning the shower screen + replacing the gasket should be done about every year or so?

Soldato
shower screen's are usually gunked in 7days on my HX bezzera machine.
... how long does profitec warming up take ? that's my aversion to really having time for espresso at breakfast time - yes could have some elaborate timer.

Associate
If youre using boiler safe water no need to do the big descales. Just backflush/cafiza once a week or w/e.

I never had a set maintenance on Gasket changes just did it when they started leaking. I found the standard black ones wear quicker and go hard due to heat cycles but the cafelet (bright coloured silicone ones) I found stay more flexible over time and maintain a good seal. Won't impact what's in the cup but something to consider when looking at the price differences.

Last edited:
Reactions: OG

OG

OG

Associate
shower screen's are usually gunked in 7days on my HX bezzera machine.
... how long does profitec warming up take ? that's my aversion to really having time for espresso at breakfast time - yes could have some elaborate timer.
The manual says 15 minutes which is about right for the boiler to be up to temp but the group head doesn't get up to a suitable temperature until around 40 minutes or so. Nothing a wifi smart plug can't solve!

Man of Honour
OP
Its good practice to take out the shower screen every month (assuming average home use) and give it a clean with soapy water - a decent cafe will be soaking it nightly.dropping the shower screen out should be super simple - may need a tea spoon handle to leaver it out.

Soldato
Its good practice to take out the shower screen every month (assuming average home use)
you don't find significant debris on the shower screen to justify removing it once a week ? I'll snap mine tomorrow
equally when I wipe the seal too, to ensure a good seal, the residue there significantly stains a white cotton dishcloth.

Soldato
Adding some food safe lubricant (molykote) to the outside of the gasket makes it easier to drop an e61 screen.

If back flushing an e61 with detergent then remember to disaasemble the lever and cam and lubricate it afterwards. Loads of videos on how to do it.

Also - If you steam a lot of milk then periodically drain the steam boiler (bring up to temp, turn off then open the water tap until it empties) to make sure you’re refreshing the water in it.

Soldato
residue on top of mesh screen - about a week post full pulycaf soak
Plating inside pf and dispersion screen is dillapidated and those tarnish easily - citric soaks may have contributed,
I suspect inside of pf's always has a thinner plating and coffee is acidic too.

53603699850_4055ef7098_o_d.jpg

Soldato
Any recommendations for a new bean to cup coffee machine please? I've had my current De’Longhi Magnifica S ECAM 22.360.S for a good few years, and it's starting to show its age.

I'd like something simple to use, less than £500, a built in milk option would be nice too, anything to look out for? Thanks.

Soldato
I've been a bad espresso machine owner and took my screen off for the first time in.....too long. Bit grim, Cafiza wouldn't shift all the gunk. No wonder I've been getting a fair bit of channeling recently.

Anyone tried one of the those fancy Weber filter baskets?

Soldato
I've been using the Ascher 200gram scales that are 8.99 on Amazon for years. 0.01g accuracy and fit under the Mara unit fine.

Not fancy looking but bang on accurate, and lives in the cupboard out of sight :)

Soldato
Any recommendations for a new bean to cup coffee machine please? I've had my current De’Longhi Magnifica S ECAM 22.360.S for a good few years, and it's starting to show its age.

I'd like something simple to use, less than £500, a built in milk option would be nice too, anything to look out for? Thanks.

Hate to quote myself, but...

Are they all much of a muchness at this level?

Caporegime
Hate to quote myself, but...

Are they all much of a muchness at this level?

To be brutally honest, £500 at this level is meh, I wouldn't touch a £500 bean to cup machine basically. I wouldn't upgrade from what you have because it's not going to get much better if at all. Hoffmann did one comparison 2 years ago for machine starting from £1,000, even that wasn't all roses.

Man of Honour
OP
The shared office space the company I use in London sometimes has some very good bean to cup machines that retail around the £5k mark, they are regularly maintained and use decent beans (from https://caravanandco.com/). They universally make pretty horrible coffee, although weirdly if you get a jug for a meeting they'll brew you some and thats 1000x better.

Bean to cup machines are trying to automate too many complex and messy things, grinding beans, compacting the grounds, pushing boiling water through it at pressure, steaming milk etc. As such they compromise massively and totally ignore all the variables (ie the beans age and roast).

If you want a super simple coffee i'd probably suggest either a pour over machine with a grinder, or a nespresso style machine with specialty pods...

although purely for the craziness of its advertising get the delongi one

Soldato
I've been a bad espresso machine owner and took my screen off for the first time in.....too long. Bit grim, Cafiza wouldn't shift all the gunk. No wonder I've been getting a fair bit of channeling recently.

Anyone tried one of the those fancy Weber filter baskets?
Have a Weber unibasket and a Pesado one. I like both. I think they enhance the flavour but I haven’t done blind tastings so no doubt some confirmation bias. I personally find them more forgiving than a VST basket - I still used to periodically get spritzing on the VST but the smaller holes definitely stop that.

You need a decent grinder as they do need a fine grind to get the most from.

Back
Top Bottom