SNP to break up Britian?

Soldato
The only thing that bothers me is if your in Scotland you get to go to Uni for free which is part subsidised by the English taxpayer.

Other then that I would hate to see them break away.

I love scotland.

Permabanned
Meh, let him have his referendum, if he loses, then he can bugger off, if he wins then it'll be a shame, but to be honest I don't think Scotland contributes much to the union, wouldn't the rest of the UK actually be better off financially as Scotland takes more than it gives?

It's not his referendum.

Scots of all political persuations have wanted one for years, particularly Unionists who also want to attempt to settle the issue. Scots voted for a referendum.

Permabanned
Last I read, the success of the Olympics and many of the Scots who make up part of Team GB has made a huge blow to Salmond's campaign.

I'm not so sure it did. Polls I saw gave the impression of a general indifference or apathy to the Olympics as a whole. People celebrated success be it from their hometown favourite sport or nation, but sporting ability and achievement isn't nationalistic for everyone.

If anything I suspect the booing of Tories and the conflicting come bizarre messages given out during the event and wider in a political sense I think the effect, like that of the Commonwealth Games, will be rather politically neutral.

People aren't that daft, frankly.

Caporegime
The social problem with the term "British" at the moment is all too obvious, British institutions are being wrecked at the moment, all of them.

Even apparently noble ones.

The feeling of Britishness is being killed by it's very self, it isn't even surprising any more to hear a story about the MET, White hall, the police in general, Justice/Law departments, Education system, the military and so on that isnt bad or demoralising.

People just don't care any more (considering the voting numbers and the reasons they say they don't).

So I think we should stop this circle jerk and start celebrating as independent nations in a whole, without being persecuted for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just been down to England(London) for the first 'real' time, spoke to a few of your boys and they didn't seem too pleased with Alex Salmond, have various English connections in family etc - although I have always been a fan of England. I am still dubious about a breakup though. Is it all really about oil and economics or is there something I am missing here.
Well, unless he knows something that the rest of the oil industry seems not to he should not be using oil to underpin the financial viability of an independent Scotland.
Besides it being widely accepted that reserves in the British section of the field are very much on the decline (could be that the oil people are claiming this when it is in fact not the case, but I doubt it and I dont do conspiracy theories), the licenses to work the British fields are issued by Westminster and I very much doubt that they would be given up easily. Even if they were given (some) of the field I could imagine Norway, potentially, seeing an independent Scotland as an easier target than Westminster and maybe attempting to get the current layout changed (tbch our 'zone' does appear to be rather close to Norway)

Permabanned
Back
Top Bottom