SNP to break up Britian?

Soldato
It's all about Alex Salmond who's after a legacy, nothing more. I'll vote no, although I did that for devolution and look how that turned out ;)

Soldato
I don't see how Britain have acted as some sort of horrible master race over Scotland extracting tribute and brutalising the population....
That depends on how some people think about the past.
I have quite a few Scottish friends, and opinion seems evenly divided amongst them. Half are quite vocal about staying in, half are just as vocal about independance.
I wonder if voter apathy will play a part in the decision.

Man of Honour
Meh, let him have his referendum, if he loses, then he can bugger off, if he wins then it'll be a shame, but to be honest I don't think Scotland contributes much to the union, wouldn't the rest of the UK actually be better off financially as Scotland takes more than it gives?

If you're going down that route then pretty much everywhere outside of London is a net beneficiary - should London cede from the rest of the UK? Not incidentally London also gets more spent per head in tax take than anywhere else in the UK but it brings in more so overall it is still "supporting" the rest if you want to look at it like that.

To look at financial contribution alone is far too simple a metric I'd suggest and ignores that there are many different ways to consider the merits or otherwise of a union.

Fifty-fifty?

It would have to be up for negotiation but what that would eventually be is purely a guess now.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Perhaps, but that is what you get with particularly Scottish leaders.

Plus aren't all politicians brushed the same way?

Bit of a pointless statement really.

Don’t really know what your saying with your 1st sentence there.

Anyway, its slightly different as is he willing to split up a country by scaremongering and only representing the people of Scotland when it happens to be to his own benefit.

Man of Honour
The status of Scotland is not your decision to make, the rUK is not the centre of the decision making process?

The United Kingdom would cease to exist.

Scotlands legal position upon leaving the UK has nothing to do with dictating to the rUK or the rest of the world.

Frankly I have no idea what business it would be of the rUK, and otherwise.

Nonetheless, they are in the same boat.

But the are not in the same boat, the wording from the eu commission is clear, as it talks about when a country leaves an existing member state, which is a clear indication that both new entities will not have to reapply.

If Scotland leaves the member state of the UK, the rUK (whatever you want to call it) remains a member, and Scotland has to apply. there is no other way to honestly interpret the position of the commission.

Not quite intra-EU is it?

Soviet rule = Westminster Rule? Is that what you really want to say the status quo is?

Or was it a marriage of equals?

Apart from wishful thinking, what makes you think an alternative solution will be used? do you really think the eu will cut off a massive net contributor to the budget, and upset other countries with areas with independence movements such as Spain, just to protect Alex Salmond?

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's all about Alex Salmond who's after a legacy, nothing more. I'll vote no, although I did that for devolution and look how that turned out ;)

What is wrong with peoples logic? (perhaps not a fault of logic, but stating the obvious is not a good use of one's time)

Anyone going after Independence will get a legacy, so i don't see the point in that statement.

Last edited:
Permabanned
you claim full ownership of north sea oil and ignore UK based spending in Scotland.

in other words, it is only true from a position that ignores various consequences of independence and the associated increased costs.

That's UK spending included Dolph.

GERS.

Soldato
What is wrong with peoples logic? (perhaps not a fault of logic, but stating the obvious is not a good use of one's time)

Anyone going after Independence will get a legacy, so i don't see the point in that statement.

He isn't after it for the benefit of Scotland, he wants his name in stone. It's clear that a statue like Donald Dewar's will not suffice for President Salmond.

I quite like Salmond, he's charismatic and a good public speaker but I do wish he'd be more up front about the referendum, it's doing to affect everyone living here (and let's not forget a large number aren't Scots) so let's at least have an adult debate about it rather than keeping secrets (SNP) and mud slinging/name calling/twisting statistics (all political parties).

Permabanned
But the are not in the same boat, the wording from the eu commission is clear, as it talks about when a country leaves an existing member state, which is a clear indication that both new entities will not have to reapply.

If Scotland leaves the member state of the UK, the rUK (whatever you want to call it) remains a member, and Scotland has to apply. there is no other way to honestly interpret the position of the commission.

He claims to be misquoted on that in the links I provided.

I don't think the commission has said what you think, do you have a direct link?

So far, they haven't made any position clear.

Dolph said:
Apart from wishful thinking, what makes you think an alternative solution will be used? do you really think the eu will cut off a massive net contributor to the budget, and upset other countries with areas with independence movements such as Spain, just to protect Alex Salmond?

Alternative solution? What are you going on about, the USSR and the UN have very little to do with the EU.

Nor do I think we would be in a position where you think 17th C. medieval politics will endure upon the onset of dissolution of the UK.

Not in the middle of the crisis we are in anyway, even if it did come to a "new state" situation that somehow as if by magic applies to Scotland alone.

Permabanned
Don’t really know what your saying with your 1st sentence there.

Anyway, its slightly different as is he willing to split up a country by scaremongering and only representing the people of Scotland when it happens to be to his own benefit.

What scaremongering does he do?

Caporegime
None of that is actually certain though. There would be negotiations, and the likely default stance would be to split it, but there could easily be agreements along the lines of "let us keep nukes up there, and we'll keep the debt".

An unlikely example, but you get the point.

I think generally that is not the rUK's bargaining chip...it is ironically the SNP's.

Since a base in England is not ready yet or something.

Permabanned
None of that is actually certain though. There would be negotiations, and the likely default stance would be to split it, but there could easily be agreements along the lines of "let us keep nukes up there, and we'll keep the debt".

An unlikely example, but you get the point.

Simple question, simple answer. :)

Back
Top Bottom