Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Soldato
The way I see it if he's still paying £50 electric then he isn't making enough KW to heat his house - AM I RIGHT
In February we paid £60 for electric (not including saving sessions) and £64 for gas, electric probably would have been cheaper had I switched away from Flux.

Given how much he paid for gas he must have a mansion or left the windows open, we have a five bedroom detached house. If he switched to a properly installed heat pump he may well save money though.

Man of Honour
In February we paid £60 for electric (not including saving sessions) and £64 for gas, electric probably would have been cheaper had I switched away from Flux.

Given how much he paid for gas he must have a mansion or left the windows open, we have a five bedroom detached house. If he switched to a properly installed heat pump he may well save money though.

I got the impression he'd got a big property, he had got a Tesla and was boasting about that.
He was one of those people I could have asked a lot of questions but walked away from as soon as he answered :)

Associate
For those mentioning to negotiate, which bits are you negotiating? I've got a quote of 12k for 6kW of Trina Vertex 440W panels, a Solis 6kW hybrid inverter, 15kWh of Pylon batteries and installation.

This is to be part funded with the home energy Scotland grant and interest-free loan.

Is that a decent spec? I'm not familiar with solar manufacturers.

Soldato
Which solis inverter is it?

The basic Solis kit is ‘fine’ but it’s not the best in that it can’t be programmed remotely, this makes them less than ideal when it comes to variable tariffs like agile and intelligent octopus go where the cheapest times of the day chan change regularly.

Soldato

The basic Solis kit is ‘fine’ but it’s not the best in that it can’t be programmed remotely, this makes them less than ideal when it comes to variable tariffs like agile and intelligent octopus go where the cheapest times of the day chan change regularly.
Huh? Yes it can. All modern solis stuff can be remotely monitored/edited with the Solis app and home assistant if you so wish. Auto switching for dynamic tariffs like OI etc. I rate my 6kw Solis hybrid. I have seen it pulling over 8kw already this year from the panels.

Last edited:
Soldato
Perhaps my solis knowledge is out of date but when I was researching the first time round it was monitoring only.

All the programming had to be done on the unit itself.

Last edited:
Associate
I did notice that my specified Sunsynk inverter isn't one listed on Octopus site as being approved for the Agile tariff. Not sure if that means it can't be used or just hasn't been tested.

Associate

S5-EH1P5K-L is the model number

Last edited:
Soldato
I did notice that my specified Sunsynk inverter isn't one listed on Octopus site as being approved for the Agile tariff. Not sure if that means it can't be used or just hasn't been tested.
The tariff is not dependent on any particular inverter, anyone can use it solar user or not. The inverter integration probably refers to working with the Octopus R&D which provides automation for agile.

Associate
Anyone had their octopus outgoing 12M Fixed product renew recently (15p per kWh)? Mine is coming to an end on the 1st April and was wondering if it will auto renew or if I need to contact Octopus to initiate a move onto a new export tariff?

Soldato
Anyone had their octopus outgoing 12M Fixed product renew recently (15p per kWh)? Mine is coming to an end on the 1st April and was wondering if it will auto renew or if I need to contact Octopus to initiate a move onto a new export tariff?
Mine doesnt run out until november…..

You may need to initiate a move or renewal

Soldato
So I changed my Tesla app today to the new octopus rates and next thing my battery is discharging in the daytime can’t work out how to make it stop or why it even started

Associate
I am getting close to pushing the button on this system, we use around 4500kw a year and are based in Bucks. This proposal gives an estimated 5.22kW: 12x435w Jinko Panels, 2x5.12kWh SunSync Battery, SunSync 5kw Inverter, Bird Barrier, 12xTygo Optimisers. This has 6 panels on the East and 6 on the west-facing roof, with scaffolding included £9500. Or should I go mad and use the notion of buy once and buy the best? I have seen the responses before of mixed views about Sunsync batteries regarding DOD.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

Man of Honour
I have seen the responses before of mixed views about Sunsync batteries regarding DOD.
i don't think its mixed views about the DOD% insomuch as you just have to have your wits about you, and work out the actual usable battery capacity that you will be getting.
sunsynk are not the only battery company to do this sneaky marketing malarky.
as a sunsynk system owner myself (inverter + battery) i can say i've not had any issues in the couple of months i've had the system.

Sunsynk told me that 5.12kWh battery was discontinued. The 5.32kWh battery with 90% DoD is the current model
it may well be the case, but installers do buy these in bulk so may be installing the old batteries.
as always, clarify with the installers exactly which components you are getting

Associate
So I changed my Tesla app today to the new octopus rates and next thing my battery is discharging in the daytime can’t work out how to make it stop or why it even started

Mine will sometimes decide to charge from the grid to "fill up" during the day if there's a period later in the day where the sell price is higher.

When you say discharging, do you mean exporting?

Associate
Sunsynk told me that 5.12kWh battery was discontinued. The 5.32kWh battery with 90% DoD is the current model
I have draopped something on the Sunsynk user group website as a google search outcome was contradictory as to which has the 90% and which is the latest. The price for each appears to be similar to the trade.

Man of Honour
I have draopped something on the Sunsynk user group website as a google search outcome was contradictory as to which has the 90% and which is the latest. The price for each appears to be similar to the trade.
sunsynk:
Sun-batt = 5.32kwh 80%dod (4.2)
L5.1 = 5.12kwh 90%dod (4.6)
G5.3 = 5.32kwh 90%dod (4.9)
CATL = 5.12kwh 100% dod (5.1)

these are the only ones i've come across whilst i was researching installers in the uk (not to say that there aren't any more variations)
afaik they are not intercompatible so you have to stick with a single model if you want to expand your battery setup and cannot mix-and-match

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom