Sold Car Issues

Soldato
What does he mean by buying as spares or repairs. That's just something dealers say to state the car is not roadworthy or is broken.

It doesn't have any official recognition and especially doesn't matter in a private sale especially if you disclosed all issues when asked. He can't simply decide whether it's spare or repairs, well he can, but it means jack ****.

Block and ignore and/or let it go to court I say.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had been using the car daily and told him about the tapping sound which was genuinely the only issue I knew about. I sent him a video and he even had a look when he came to collect it. He was even the one who said its in worser condition than what I thought it was and that's why he wanted to buy it as spares and repairs.
So to flip it around, he inspected it fully before buying.

Private sale m8, no warranty.

Soldato
OP
sounds like he thinks as you have already given him some off the original agreed price hes trying his luck for more
whos to say it actually broke down on the way home
my guess hes just tyring it on for more
and you also have the messages stating he buying it spares or repairs so hes got nothing to go on only harrasment thats all

block and ignore, if he still tries it on report to police, then message him the crime refrence number that will shut the chancer up!

I was also thinking exactly the same with regards to him just trying his luck. He's blocked and if he tries to make contact again I will definitely be going to the police

Soldato
I didn't think so. It had a tapping sound which I informed him of and I had been using it daily. He stated that because of the issue he believes it is, he would take it as spares and repairs and take it away with a recovery truck, as shown in the screenshot above.

This is pretty much you in the clear. He's likely to be one of these people who buys cars, tries to fix them then flips them. He'll probably buy several cars a month and on every single one of them try this crap - and tbh, 20-30% of the time a melt seller will probably give him a few hundred quid back.

Just block him, and move on.

Last edited:
Soldato
If its listed as "For repairs only" or even sold outside eBay he dosn't have a leg to stand on. He's already screwed you out of money by not paying the agreed price now hes trying to screw you out of more. Block and move on. If he persists report him for harassment.

Last edited:
Associate
How kaput did the engine go? Are we talking a catastrophic failure?
I'd say the only thing you need to worry about is Ebay and how they will handle it. I'm not sure what their stance is on car classified but for anything else it's quite easy to get Ebay to reverse a transaction as they always side with the buyer.

eBay Classifieds aren't covered the same as usual eBay sales. There's no money back guarantees or buyer/seller protection on classifieds as they're not transacted through eBays payment system.

Soldato
What does he mean by buying as spares or repairs. That's just something dealers say to state the car is not roadworthy or is broken.

It doesn't have any official recognition and especially doesn't matter in a private sale especially if you disclosed all issues when asked. He can't simply decide whether it's spare or repairs, well he can, but it means jack ****.

Block and ignore and/or let it go to court I say.

It's terminology sepcific to Ebay.

Basically listing a car as spares and repairs means it doesnt work, and dont expect it to work. The car is being sold on the basis it will be screapped/broken down for parts or needs repairing to be iin a working condition.

Caporegime
Basically listing a car as spares and repairs means it doesnt work, and dont expect it to work. The car is being sold on the basis it will be screapped/broken down for parts or needs repairing to be iin a working condition.
Doubt the guys getting anywhere in small claims court, when he drove it off after being advised to tow it...

Ebay might go anal on you though, and claim you put the car in the wrong category or something

Last edited:
Doubt the guys getting anywhere in small claims court, when he drove it off after being advised to tow it...

Ebay might go anal on you though, and claim you put the car in the wrong category or something
I guess it depends on how it was sold. Auction or advert. I've always used an advert. Auction even then they will want the fees and that's all they can do as hopefully it was paid outside of Ebay payment system. Bad feedback is about all that will happen. Even that might be removable

Associate
As everyone else mentioned you're good. Nothing can be done legally, you can remove eBay feedback if you call them and provide screenshots.
I think he might be trying it on, I doubt he'll bother trying anything stupid given you do have his details as well.

Soldato
OP
I guess it depends on how it was sold. Auction or advert. I've always used an advert. Auction even then they will want the fees and that's all they can do as hopefully it was paid outside of Ebay payment system. Bad feedback is about all that will happen. Even that might be removable

It was a classified advert.

What i find funny is that he was the one who said he'd buy it as spares or repairs and tow it away as he thought something more serious was wrong with the car, and then he drives it away and blames me for it...

Back
Top Bottom