*** Sony Xperia Z3 Compact ***

Associate
Gone and ordered one of these from Handtec, should be here Tuesday :D Looking forward to decent battery life, my S4 was terrible!

Ordered some of the magnetic cables from eBay as well as I can imagine opening the flap to charge would end up in unecessary wear

Soldato
Since people have had their payments taken from Amazon I'm thinking I've probably missed the first allocation of stock...means I may be looking at holding onto my M8 for a bit longer...sadly :p

To be fair I got in on the deal JUST as it closed!

Soldato
I suppose it is better than not being able to see anything.

Yeah I suppose. I wasn't complaining per se, but I nearlg rebooted d it before I realised what it was doing as I thought something was wrong with it!

Had both the N5 and Z3c out with me today, used them both to try and compare battery life. Z3c is currently on 73%, N5 is 38%...

Soldato
My money hasn't been taken by Amazon nor has my delivery date changed. I'm still due to receive it on Thursday next week apparently. The dock is prepping for dispatch.

Associate
Just a great all round phone in my opinion, don't really have anything I can fault. Screen is very good (720p is hardly noticeable unless you really really squint), colours are a lot better than the Nexus 5 and the battery is definitely an improvement.

Only minor complaint is the slipperiness, but soon to be solved when a decent case comes around :D

Soldato
I'm not surprised by the reports of the z3c slipping. The Nexus 4 did exactly the same until Google made a revision and put nobules on the newer models to stop it from slipping.

It can be solved by fitting a dbrand or slickwrap skin when the skins are available or putting on a decent case on.

Soldato
This is a lot worse than the Nexus. You could play air hockey with the Z3c.

Lock button placement, volume rocker size and placement, the sliperiness thing, headphone and speaker volume and vibrate strength would be my list. All niggles though. Oh, and the polarised glasses thing.

Last edited:

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Anyone know the difference between the Z1 and Z3 dock? I hear the Z1 fits the Z3 and is marginally cheaper.

Dock is universal design, but compatibility is achieved by model specific plastic inserts you have to place in the dock before you position the phone in the charger. So DK48 is the only one that has inserts for Z3 and Z3 Compact, and to be honest, the whole design is a bit screwed anyway.

My dock will not charge from USB port in my mac or monitor, it only worked for me from dedicated power socket USB charger, but such charger doesn't come in the box, DK48 only comes as dock, four sets of inserts and that's it. I guess they want you to use charger that came with the phone (which for me is stupid - after all you don't buy secondary charging dock just to use the original setup, but anyway).

I found the fit to be annoyingly fiddly, the magnetic point is very shallow, barely protruding from plastic insert and finding correct position is harder than it should be - the holes need to align perfectly and it's just a long slit, there is no bumper/end point so you can't just slide it to the end and it clicks into place - you need to find two one millimeter groves along roughly 12 cm side and make sure they clicked fully into holes. In other words the whole thing is just idiotically overengineered - using magnetic cable will be fifty times easier, and even those are fiddly (most magnets are weak and any movement or grip on the phone will usually make them pop out).

In addition to that, because fit is dictated by the plastic inserts, I doubt it will work with any case or bumper, unless it's some sort of super, super thin skin.

Soldato
fingers crossed our amazon orders get shipped today! to be honest, i'm in fulfillment and i've been in since quarter to six, so amazon should be in early too :D :p hopefully we'll get a dispatch email this morning. im keeping my inbox open :)

Soldato
Still no payment taken so I'm no further forward, delivery us still due for Tuesday however so I'm hopeful payment will be taken and dispatched today...

one would hope so. if they say its going to be delivered tomorrow or this week then surely that'll be what happens :) have faith, its still only 7am :p

Associate
I'm not surprised by the reports of the z3c slipping. The Nexus 4 did exactly the same until Google made a revision and put nobules on the newer models to stop it from slipping.

It can be solved by fitting a dbrand or slickwrap skin when the skins are available or putting on a decent case on.

I thought that revision was due to the speaker being covered when it was on it's back? I don't remember my Nexus 4 slipping around.

Back
Top Bottom