Spec me a CCTV System

Associate
The cameras are DS-2CD2346G2-1U

Those are 4MP (2688 × 1520 resolution) with a 1/3" sensor (bigger is better) so the low end of that Hikvision range of 4MP, 6MP and 8MP (4K) turret cameras. Although output of the NVR/monitor could have an impact (not sure about that as I don't use modern NVRs) its possible the newer cameras may not be as good quality as older models in some respect, possibly smaller sensor, lens or lens focal length. The wider the field of view due to focal length the worse the definition. How the cameras as configured for bit rate versus frames per second, compression type etc can also reduce quality but the installer should have set those to the optimum.

Do you know what the old cameras were and lens focal length of those and the new cameras?

Soldato
All the bits of paper with notes and numbers I binned when these were fitted. I do know that the old cameras only had a shallow width of picture - these show a hell of a lot more of the houses opposite but the old ones were only 2mp and one was 3 or 4.
If the fitter set the cameras or stetting to max rather than to the 4k or UHD or HD or lower would that give me a poorer picture.
I really am getting peed off now.
You would think todays new was much better than yesterdays new.
I have to admit all this is way over my head

Associate
I do know that the old cameras only had a shallow width of picture - these show a hell of a lot more of the houses opposite but the old ones were only 2mp and one was 3 or 4.

That would make a significant difference. If you've gone to a wider field of view then the resolution would need to be much higher to give the same picture detail as before.

For example going from a 6mm (narrower) to 2.8mm (wider) would require between 2.5 to 3 times the resolution to give the same detail. A 4mm to 2.8mm requires about double the resolution. There are a lot of other factors such as lens quality, sensor size but this field of view change means 4mp won't be showing more and probably less detail than your older cameras. As mentioned before I cannot comment on how the NVR or its settings, zoom method could further impact the output picture as I gave up on NVRs some time ago.

One other comment is regarding your two ColorVu cameras in case you notice it. These won't have sharp focus as close to the camera as cameras that use IR at night due to the aperture of the lens. A standard camera is sharp from very close up (1m or less) but the ColorVu are only in focus from between about 2m and 7m depending on the lens (wider angle being better than narrow in this case).

Soldato
Although not wrong, their night colour vision is lacking on RLC-811a. The CX410 is miles ahead of it, and the new CX810 should hopefully address this. I just saw a post on reddit, and it seems it wont be out of until next year so no point of holding off until them
Any reason not to go for these CX410’s, and if not, do you know what is the ideal NVR for them? Just watched a YouTube video and the quality at night looks excellent!

Associate
which type of ip cam is best for locating under the roof eaves facing towards front driveway? Detached house 2 floors.

Soldato
which type of ip cam is best for locating under the roof eaves facing towards front driveway? Detached house 2 floors.
It depends on what you are aiming to do, distances, expected viewing angle etc.

The eves are very high if you are looking to record the immediate vicinity around your house, you’ll be recording the tops of peoples heads. Ideally you want it to be more like 2.5m off the ground.

Having something 7m up is fine for a general overview or to look at something tend of meters away on a zoom lens but it’s not great if want to see anything close to the property at ‘person level’.

Soldato
That would make a significant difference. If you've gone to a wider field of view then the resolution would need to be much higher to give the same picture detail as before.

For example going from a 6mm (narrower) to 2.8mm (wider) would require between 2.5 to 3 times the resolution to give the same detail. A 4mm to 2.8mm requires about double the resolution. There are a lot of other factors such as lens quality, sensor size but this field of view change means 4mp won't be showing more and probably less detail than your older cameras. As mentioned before I cannot comment on how the NVR or its settings, zoom method could further impact the output picture as I gave up on NVRs some time ago.

One other comment is regarding your two ColorVu cameras in case you notice it. These won't have sharp focus as close to the camera as cameras that use IR at night due to the aperture of the lens. A standard camera is sharp from very close up (1m or less) but the ColorVu are only in focus from between about 2m and 7m depending on the lens (wider angle being better than narrow in this case).
Thanks for that info.
Looks like I have been sold down the river by first fitter that came and a supplier who I went to and asked the questions.

Can't beat being in the dark can you.

Sitting here looking at the cameras I can see everything but it's not the quality I was expecting.
There was a big propane gas truck coming down road yesterday doing about 10mph looking for his drop and the truck kept stopping nearly every truck length. I did go and watch it again on playback and it was faultless -Not a stutter or jerk -smooth as silk.

Associate
Looks like I have been sold down the river by first fitter that came and a supplier who I went to and asked the questions.

The DS-2CD2346G2-IU is a good generation of camera, its just a 6MP (or even the 8MP if the NVR can cope), or a narrow lens version of the one you have could have suited your requirements better. Hikvision pro ranges generally increase sensor size with increasing MP so low light isn't impacted at higher resolution unlike some cheaper brands/ranges.

The cost wouldn't have been much but sadly its difficult for professionals to make money on domestic work other than the largest installs as many end users just want wider view, are wowed by features such as 24x7 colour images ignoring the compromises and expect to pay very little. Users like you that are trying to get good advice and prepared to pay reasonably for it are rare.

Take my neighbours who often ask me for not just advice after finding pro installers too expensive, and expect me to provide a shopping list of URLs so they can buy and fit it themselves and then expect me to provide support if they have issues! You could still get a better resolution monitor and check settings if possible (e.g. camera bit rate can reduce quality if set too low) to ensure you're getting the most from what you have, but I suspect you've traded field of view for some detail on those cameras.

Soldato
I am getting my head around the menu now -Just turned resolution down from (I thnk) 1600*1200 - to 1280*1024/60HZ and the few vehicles that have come past seem to be smoother. (it might have been on1920*1080.)

Just got to wait for a tractor and see how it goes.

Even now I have no idea what the bill is he said he would send it. So as it stands whatever it is I will pay and if it's below what I hope it is he will get a bonus.

Now if all this worked with a spring and cogs and windup key I would be in my element.

Soldato
Any reason not to go for these CX410’s, and if not, do you know what is the ideal NVR for them? Just watched a YouTube video and the quality at night looks excellent!
Okay, answered my own question and have went for these cams. Initially bought 2 and the RLN8-410.

One question - I plan to install these with all of the cabling kept inside the property, largely for aesthetic purposes, as I hate visible cabling.

That being the case, do I need to stick with the external 5e, or is the internal adequate? I’m guessing internal, but I’m no expert…

Soldato
Okay, answered my own question and have went for these cams. Initially bought 2 and the RLN8-410.

One question - I plan to install these with all of the cabling kept inside the property, largely for aesthetic purposes, as I hate visible cabling.

That being the case, do I need to stick with the external 5e, or is the internal adequate? I’m guessing internal, but I’m no expert…

Typically external grade cabling is UV resistant so if no direct sunlight exposure then no need for the upgraded sheathing.

I’m totally with you on hidden cables - I’d have done these installs myself if it weren’t for my 1960s house having asbestos eaves where you’d drill into/through.

Last edited:
Associate
I’d have done these installs myself if it weren’t for my 1960s house having asbestos eaves where you’d drill into/through.

A genuine FFP3 graded face mask (not cheap ones with fake markings or 3M clones), and possibly eye protection and a coverall if ripping out lots of it and you're fine.

Soldato
Typically external grade cabling is UV resistant so if no direct sunlight exposure then no need for the upgraded sheathing.

I’m totally with you on hidden cables - I’d have done these installs myself if it weren’t for my 1960s house having asbestos eaves where you’d drill into/through.
Perfect, thank you. I’ll measure the distance I need to cover and then order with enough for some spare and to perhaps add another camera at some point too.

Soldato
Trying to work out the best way to install this system. I may place the NVR in the TV unit, unless of course it would be better tucked away somewhere.

Bought 2 Reolink CX410 cameras and an 8 channel NVR, the RLN8-410.

I have CAT6 cabling from there to a central point in the house. Was thinking of using this, connecting to a POE switch, then connecting each camera to that, using CAT5e.

Is that doable, or will I give myself problems? Don’t fancy tracking 3 CAT5e cables from the main TV, so was thinking this would be a good option.

Soldato
5e is more suitable for CCTV anyway, its far more flexible which is helpful when wiring cameras and a camera is never going to benefit from the 'better' cable.
Thanks again. Hopefully it’s easy to install the NVR and cameras via the POE switch, and I don’t give myself any headaches!

Back
Top Bottom