Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
Hopefully my last question before installing - is there an ‘ideal’ way to install the cameras through a POE switch?

Looking at Reolink’s site, this can be done 3 different ways, 2 of which have the NVR detecting the cameras as separate devices, having their IP address assigned by the router, or the other way, which has the NVR assigning the IP addresses.

Which is best, or does it not really matter? Thanks

Soldato
This is the monitor I am using at moment on my CCTV system. https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model-display/40e79a6
It is at least 10 yr old spec.

I have the NVR and cameras below.
Hikvision NVR DS-7608Ni-M2/8p and Hikvision DS-2CD2346G2-1U cameras.

Can someone please tell me if this monitor is suitable or not -The picture is a bit pixalated and no where as clear as the 10yr old cameras I have just replaced.
I feel that in theory a new up to date camera has to be better than the old one.
I am getting used to the pictures now but it is bugging me.
If the monitor isn't up to it can anyone reccommend one for up to £200 or the spec I should looking for.

Soldato
I see the cameras has Max. Resolution 2688 × 1520. Can you set the recording resolution of the camera?

Your monitor has max resolution 1920 x 1080.

I am wondering whether recording at a higher resolution than the monitor can display is causing your issue. I'm not sure if that's the answer, but hopefully someone will know.

Associate
Hi folks - please can someone help me on a relatively basic problem.

We have 4 cats and it seems that several local cats visit our house at night.
At least one of them sprays unfortunately, so we want to find out who does it. That won't cure the problem but then we'll have some idea as to who to blame!
The camera will mainly be working in the room adjacent to the cat flap but would also be used outside at times.

So I want a camera with the following specification:
Able to record from around midnight until about 7 am.
It can be plug in or battery.
Want video and images.
Want decent quality and as much colour as is reasonable.
Want the camera to have a memory card that can then be loaded onto my PC to save and view the results.
Price - preferably under £100 or my wife will go ballistic!

Sorry if this is way below your usual interests but having viewed umpteen camera I'm totally confused with the choice, so I hoped that your skills could help me. Also, since I'd like all the above specs, it's not easy to weed out the cameras that don't quite match up.
I'm well aware that there are many 'trail cameras' on ebay but are any of them good enough for my needs?
Many thanks in adticipation.
Chris

Soldato
Reolink CX410 sounds like it could be ideal. Motion sensor on it, which can be set at sizing small enough for cats. Full colour night recording, with even a small amount of ambient light, and it can record to a memory card.

Needs a POE connection (POE switch, NVR or perhaps POE injector), and usually sells for £75 or thereabouts.

Soldato
You can most likely add it as a camera to your existing Hik NVR. I have done this with similar Hik products (haven't installed that specific model).
Do you have a Cat5e/6 cable at the front door?

Soldato
This is the monitor I am using at moment on my CCTV system. https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model-display/40e79a6
It is at least 10 yr old spec.

I have the NVR and cameras below.
Hikvision NVR DS-7608Ni-M2/8p and Hikvision DS-2CD2346G2-1U cameras.

Can someone please tell me if this monitor is suitable or not -The picture is a bit pixalated and no where as clear as the 10yr old cameras I have just replaced.
I feel that in theory a new up to date camera has to be better than the old one.
I am getting used to the pictures now but it is bugging me.
If the monitor isn't up to it can anyone reccommend one for up to £200 or the spec I should looking for.

Bear in mind you’re not looking at the camera directly, you’re viewing it through the NVR.

You have a 4K display (2160P) NVR that may not be running in 1080P mode. So it is squishing (downscaling) 4 pixels into 1. The NVR should detect a 1080P monitor and run in 1080P mode but it may not or some well-meaning person may have forced it onto 4K mode. It is also possible that the cameras have not been set up properly. They don’t automatically give the best image and generally your installer should set up both the day and night mode settings to give you the best images.

£200 is a decent budget for a monitor these days. That should get you a 4K 27” unit. Or a cheap 4K TV is often a good alternative. You can get a 43” HiSense 4K TV these days for £200-ish. It’s not a great TV but it’s perfectly adequate for displaying 4 surveillance cameras.

Last edited:
Associate
You can most likely add it as a camera to your existing Hik NVR. I have done this with similar Hik products (haven't installed that specific model).
Do you have a Cat5e/6 cable at the front door?
Yes I do have Cat5e cable to my front door. How have you found the ones you've installed?

Associate
Anyone have any recommendations for 3 POE cameras/system, easy to use operate with the folks and can stick in the loft to run from.
The house is getting re-wired so want the leccy to install them while he is there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Update:

I've now got 6 Reolink cameras running and recording 24/7 to the Reolink 36 channel NVR, I have 3x RLC-811A PoE, 2x RLC-510A PoE and 1x E1-Pro. All the PoE cameras are fed into TP-Link PoE switches using cat6 and then fed to a nearby mesh access point depending on the camera location. The Reolink NVR is connected directly into my main router with cat6, I don't have any cameras connected directly into the NVR. The E1-Pro is just an internal PTZ wifi cam and it gets picked up on the network seamlessly too.

I've currently only got 1x 4TB HDD in the NVR, forgot the brand as I already had it laying around but I'm going up upgrade to 3x HDD soon and apparently the 36 channel NVR can support 3x 16TB drives so plenty of storage capacity.

Been messing about with the FTP features and I've currently got 2 of the RLC-811A PoE cams uploading a live image every 30 seconds. If you would like to see then visit https://lee.uk.net the images are replaced every 30 seconds, just refresh page to see updated image. :)

Soldato
Update:

I've now got 6 Reolink cameras running and recording 24/7 to the Reolink 36 channel NVR, I have 3x RLC-811A PoE, 2x RLC-510A PoE and 1x E1-Pro. All the PoE cameras are fed into TP-Link PoE switches using cat6 and then fed to a nearby mesh access point depending on the camera location. The Reolink NVR is connected directly into my main router with cat6, I don't have any cameras connected directly into the NVR. The E1-Pro is just an internal PTZ wifi cam and it gets picked up on the network seamlessly too.

I've currently only got 1x 4TB HDD in the NVR, forgot the brand as I already had it laying around but I'm going up upgrade to 3x HDD soon and apparently the 36 channel NVR can support 3x 16TB drives so plenty of storage capacity.

Been messing about with the FTP features and I've currently got 2 of the RLC-811A PoE cams uploading a live image every 30 seconds. If you would like to see then visit https://lee.uk.net the images are replaced every 30 seconds, just refresh page to see updated image. :)
Haha love you man. Just move house tho pls :D

Soldato
Anyone have any recommendations for 3 POE cameras/system, easy to use operate with the folks and can stick in the loft to run from.
The house is getting re-wired so want the leccy to install them while he is there.

Reolink seems a popular brand here.

The Reolink RLC-510A at £46.63 is an entry level camera, see:

If you click the bundles link you'll see they are offering 4 x cameras plus a 2TB HDD 8-Channel NVR for £383.97.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom