Spec me a nice area to live, near Crawley

Soldato
I live in Cottesmore Green which is the privately owned, newer corner of Broadfield in Crawley. We're right on the A264 and 5 minutes from the A/M23 which is brilliant for me because I spent my life on the road working. We're also 15 minutes from the airport which is great for holidays.

I don't dislike where we are because we are in a very quiet dead end road, no passing traffic or kids around. Although the town itself is not very pretty, it doesnt have pretty much everything you need right on your doorstep which is one of the few reasons I stay.

Don't listen to anyone who says don't do Broadfield/Bewbush/etc because there is the odd nice corner with some nice houses. Do a lot of research, drive round a lot at various times of the day and see what feels like home. Also you will probably find that the house prices are cheaper in Crawley than the surrounding areas. Horsham, Burgess Hill, Haywards Heath etc are all more expensive than Crawley itself.

I'm not saying Crawley is a fantastic place to live, it has its good and bad bits like everywhere else but it is convenient for everything, has loads of shops and depending where you live...can be quite nice.

Manor Royal is mental during rush hour and at lunchtime, I used to work on it and a friend of mine works for Thales, the one plus point of them in that they have a car park, otherwise parking on the estate is an absolute nightmare.

Soldato
OP
Commuting from Woking to Gatwick by car will be VERY painful, seeing as you'll be going round the M25 and down the M23!
I know this, I have told her this, but she doesn't quite seem to grasp the concept. She just doesn't want to move too far from family and friends, even if it means I have to do an enormous and painful commute twice a day :rolleyes:

I'll carry on trying to persuade her, will hopefully get somewhere!

Soldato
That really sucks, the traffic around the M25 and M23 is terrible, it would take you bloody ages to get down from Woking to Gatwick.

Caporegime
I know this, I have told her this, but she doesn't quite seem to grasp the concept. She just doesn't want to move too far from family and friends, even if it means I have to do an enormous and painful commute twice a day :rolleyes:

At the very least you need to find good train links, driving down the M25 daily would destroy you, especially as the commuting queues into Crawley are a nightmare EVERY day. Be a bit stronger and take the lead in this, she is being a bit insensitive. If she wants you coming home stressed and tired every night then fine, if not...

Soldato
Indeed, M25, M23 every morning will slowly eat you away.

Live in Pound Hill, worth or maidenbower, short walk has you at Three bridges train station which is a full on main line station that will take into london within 30 mins.

Soldato

[Unhelpful]Sack her :p[/Unhelpful]

Congrats on the job mate, when you move i'll come trash your place for a night :)

Caporegime
Indeed, M25, M23 every morning will slowly eat you away.

Live in Pound Hill, worth or maidenbower, short walk has you at Three bridges train station which is a full on main line station that will take into london within 30 mins.

Indeed.
I've lived in PH and maidenbower.

Oh, Welshy, i used to do M23 and M25 from gatwick to staines daily (and return), its a horrible drive. Back roads do nothing to speed things up.

Also, moving away from friends and family made me realise one thing, it didnt matter how far away it was, i didnt see them any more when i was 40 miles away compared to 140 miles. Once the distance is over the limit of just thinking 'i'll jump in the car and see x person' it becomes too far to be a regular un thought about thing.

if that makes sense!

Soldato
OP
Oh, Welshy, i used to do M23 and M25 from gatwick to staines daily (and return), its a horrible drive. Back roads do nothing to speed things up.
I was hoping backroads might be able to allow me to bypass the rush hour traffic on the motorways :(

Yeah I also understand what you mean by the distance thing, 20 minutes farther from home won't make much difference to her, but if it's 20 minutes extra on top of my commute then it will make a massive difference...

I'm looking at maybe Redhill/Reigate as a compromise - Gives me a 30 minute ish commute, and her an extra 15 minute drive home.

I'm sure I'll keep you all updated, wanting more local informations :D

Soldato
Yeah, coming up the A23 was bad enough for me in the morning. At least the plans to widen handcross seem to be moving, albeit slowly.

I hated the commute from Hove to East Grinstead. There was always that bottleneck from 3 to 2 lanes. Then if someone had an accident somewhere, the whole road from top to bottom would just stop. Then if you decided to come off the A23 you'd just meet more traffic chaos along all the B roads.

My hometown is East Grinstead and it used to be great but from what I remember of it half the shops are closed, there's nothing to do, the pubs are all rubbish. All there is there is restaurants, cafes and take aways.

So glad I come over to Wellington, NZ. Although out in the sticks it's not so great with nothing to do, that was the idea though so I could save money and carry on travelling.

The problem with East Grinstead though, there's only 2 real ways of getting out/in. A22 or the back roads. Everyone has the same idea when they know there is an accident.

Back
Top Bottom