Spiced Rum Recommendation

Soldato
For anyone who cares Diplomatico Reserva is £34 a bottle @ amazon atm. Flor De Cana 12 is down to £24 too & Plantation XO 20th is £44.50. Bought a few but hoping actual Black Friday gives out some proper steals.

Soldato
Don Papa is my favourite rum by a long shot. Usually drunk neat or on the rocks.

Goes great with coke too, if you're into that sort of thing....

Soldato
Don Papa is my favourite rum by a long shot. Usually drunk neat or on the rocks.

Goes great with coke too, if you're into that sort of thing....

Don Papa is also down its lowest on Amazon, £24.44. I have a bottle downstairs on the trolley and I'm not a massive fan tbh, very sweet artificial (I'm assuming it is) and vanilla heavy. Works quite well in cocktails though.

This years sudden boom of Dead mans finger has shocked me, I've only tried the normal one and it was almost undrinkable. They know seemed to have released a dozen flavours and seems to be taking over the mainstream rum market. Kraken always has and always will be my go to mixer rum but it's not often I have mixed anymore and its not really any more expensive than deadmans either.

Soldato
Mount Gay black barrel is still around £28 which is nice sipping;
Doorly's 6yr XO , I've never tried it, but tempting as periodically at that price.

Soldato
glad its not just me - had some at a rum festival years back when it first launched and its was by far the worst one we had - not tried it again but given it seems to be everywhere i thought they may have improved it.

Don't do it to yourself, better off with a bottle of Bacardi or even Captain Morgains :D

Doorly's 6yr XO , I've never tried it, but tempting as periodically at that price.

never tried it myself but Doorly's 12 is some of the best bang for buck you can get, when on a decent offer its only a few quid more than the XO. It's running pretty high atm on amazon which smells like it may come on offer soon, I can only hope :p

Soldato
This years sudden boom of Dead mans finger has shocked me, I've only tried the normal one and it was almost undrinkable. They know seemed to have released a dozen flavours and seems to be taking over the mainstream rum market.
Had one of their bottles a few years ago, it was a black bottle as I recall. Most godawful thing I've ever had.

Soldato
as above foursquared do some good stuff. Plantation is another great tipple.

Are you after spiced specifically or happy to branch out into darks & golds? There isn't much better than diplomatico in terms of spiced rum as the more expensive stuff tends to be a a dark or gold rum. Spiced can be very hit and miss depending on what "spice" it is you actually like. I detest clove heavy rums but some people love them

What budget was you looking at for some bottles to try?

Soldato
No budget in particular really, happy to buy if it's worth it! My other half has like 40 different bottles of gin...

Happy to try dark and gold as well.

El Dorado 12
Plantation XO
Ron Zacapa 23
Flor De Cana 12
Doorlys 12
Rumbullion

I have a camelcamelcamel alert Flor De Cana 12 is at a decent price right now of £23.80

Soldato
El Dorado 12
Plantation XO
Ron Zacapa 23
Flor De Cana 12
Doorlys 12
Rumbullion

I have a camelcamelcamel alert Flor De Cana 12 is at a decent price right now of £23.80

off topic but been wondering about this, regarding camel camel camel there isn't an app for it, how do you use it? I just created an account and want to use it for price drops and it appears to only monitor Amazon which I was surprised at. Also do you let it monitor your wishlist? I'm a bit concerned about linking it.

More on topic.

I have some kraken in at the moment, I wouldn't mind trying something with a decent hit of vanilla, any recommendations please?

I'm usually a Bourbon / American Whiskey and coke person but do like a rum and coke every now and again.

Regarding coke, anyone know of a decent caffeine and sugar free coke to use a mixer or any alternative to coca cola?

Cheers

Soldato
off topic but been wondering about this, regarding camel camel camel there isn't an app for it, how do you use it? I just created an account and want to use it for price drops and it appears to only monitor Amazon which I was surprised at. Also do you let it monitor your wishlist? I'm a bit concerned about linking it.

More on topic.

I have some kraken in at the moment, I wouldn't mind trying something with a decent hit of vanilla, any recommendations please?

I'm usually a Bourbon / American Whiskey and coke person but do like a rum and coke every now and again.

Regarding coke, anyone know of a decent caffeine and sugar free coke to use a mixer or any alternative to coca cola?

Cheers

Just make a camelcamelcamel account, grab the URL of the item from amazon and paste it into the search then add to your wishlist and set desired price, you'll get an email when it drops too or below your desired price.

Rumbullion is quite a good step up from kraken in terms of quality, similar flavour profile.

When I mix, tend to only mix the likes of Kraken and below, I use pepsi max I don't believe it is caffeine free though. Fentimans cola is also great but VERY different to your standard coke. Give a dark and stormy a shot as well. 100ml Rum, 200ml ginger beer (best quality you can find I use fentimans or Belvoir) juice of 1 lime and sugar syrup to taste (generally I add maybe half a shot but add it to whatever fits your fancy), add to a glass (i use my mule copper mugs) with plenty of ice and give it a stir. Basically a moscow mule but with replace vodka with rum. If you want to be fancy garnish with a lime wedge and/or mint sprig

Soldato
Just make a camelcamelcamel account, grab the URL of the item from amazon and paste it into the search then add to your wishlist and set desired price, you'll get an email when it drops too or below your desired price.

Rumbullion is quite a good step up from kraken in terms of quality, similar flavour profile.

When I mix, tend to only mix the likes of Kraken and below, I use pepsi max I don't believe it is caffeine free though. Fentimans cola is also great but VERY different to your standard coke. Give a dark and stormy a shot as well. 100ml Rum, 200ml ginger beer (best quality you can find I use fentimans or Belvoir) juice of 1 lime and sugar syrup to taste (generally I add maybe half a shot but add it to whatever fits your fancy), add to a glass (i use my mule copper mugs) with plenty of ice and give it a stir. Basically a moscow mule but with replace vodka with rum. If you want to be fancy garnish with a lime wedge and/or mint sprig

All good stuff thanks for that I like the sound of that drink I'm for sure going to try it!

Back
Top Bottom