Spiced Rum Recommendation

Soldato
A few rums over the weekend
Plantation - Pineapple. Smooth, strong pinapple (base on original dark). Good sipped or mixed.
Plantation - Original dark. Strong but more of a mix rum
Don Papa - i found this more sweet almost like a sugared liqueur.
Riviere du Mat - noix du coco - not as sweet as don papa, sweeter than the plantation. A hardcore coconut bonanza.

Soldato
A few rums over the weekend
Plantation - Pineapple. Smooth, strong pinapple (base on original dark). Good sipped or mixed.
Plantation - Original dark. Strong but more of a mix rum
Don Papa - i found this more sweet almost like a sugared liqueur.
Riviere du Mat - noix du coco - not as sweet as don papa, sweeter than the plantation. A hardcore coconut bonanza.

Interesting, i really liked the Plantation rum, but have only had the XO version.

I had the Cuckoo Sundowner rum, from a local distillery to me. Not great at all. Really disappointing and seemed like too many flavours without anything really connecting them together.

Soldato
Got a 50th coming up and the following Rum is on the menu:
* Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva
* The Arcane
* Flor de Cana - 12yo.

Soldato
Got a 50th coming up and the following Rum is on the menu:
* Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva
* The Arcane
* Flor de Cana - 12yo.

So the Diplomatico got demolished. Smooth as silk even when neat. A real favourite.

The french inlaws demolished the Flor and the Arcane was ok (more a mix) buy outshone by the diplimatico.

Soldato
The Diplomático is superb. At that price point I’ve had nothing close.

Funnily enough. I picked up a bottle of the rum that first got me into rum (Brugal Extra Viejo).

In my memory it was a great run but I’ve been disappointed by it. One of those for the memory banks only it seems.

Soldato
The Diplomático is superb. At that price point I’ve had nothing close.

Funnily enough. I picked up a bottle of the rum that first got me into rum (Brugal Extra Viejo).

In my memory it was a great run but I’ve been disappointed by it. One of those for the memory banks only it seems.
Since my father passed away earlier in the year, I haven't touched any rum since. I am so tempted to grab a bottle of Reserve because over the years I've heard nothing but quality statements about it's smooth profile.

Soldato
can't find any sipping tequila deals though - I'd like a refill on my Cabrito Tequila Reposado
.. maye the rum thing is in response to favourable production/currency exchange

Soldato
Dominico comes in a 750ml bottle too according to santa :)

However I’ve drunk way to much over the last couple of days.. maybe tomorrow :)

Soldato
Haven't really been looking at this thread previously as I don't like spiced (or sweetened) rums as I prefer sipping neat to mixing as additives such as sugars and spices hide the true nature of the base Rum, but this seems more of a general Rum thread now (maybe the title could be changed?).

My favourite affordable rum used to be Mount Gay Black Barrel, decently aged in Bourbon casks, it was smooth and naturally sweet and was a great sipping Rum but the price which used to be ~£20 has gone up by over 50% I think due to new ownership wanting to further segment their offerings as Black Barrel was not much more expensive than the regular Mount Gay but was a much better product.

My new affordable favourite is The Duppy Share (Aged) which can regularly be had for ~£22, again it is decently aged to make it a good sipping rum, it lacks the Bourbon notes of Black Barrel but is still naturally sweet and has some character from the blend of Bajan and Jamaican rums where Mount Gay is solely Bajan. I'd really like to try their XO rum one day.

My favourite "special occasion" Rum is Mount Gay XO noticeably smoother than Black Barrel due to the extra aging with a more delicate but still complex flavour profile.

I tried and really liked Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva but being very much sweetened I think of it more of a liqueur than a Rum.

Notable mentions to the aged Cuban Rums that I've tried (Havana Club 7 / Santiago de Cuba 8) totally different much bolder smoky / tobacco / molasses flavours, but being aged still pleasant enough sippers if you're in the mood for something a bit different or a cigar :p

The only rum I will drink with a mixer is Wray & Nephew Overproof with Coke, the most memorable taste of my trip to Jamaica.

Back
Top Bottom