** Star Wars Episode VII - SPOILERS WITHIN **

Soldato
Yup, I agree with Curio, I'm out. Too much danger of things leaking out and spoiling the experience.

I've already told everyone that my phone/laptop are going dark on 17 Dec until after I return from watching the film on 18th. You just know that some *enter socially unpalatable word of your own chossing* will spoiler the entire film all over Facebook as soon as they can get their pathetic little mits on a suitable electronic device.

Caporegime
Have you read Aftermath? I'm just starting on it, 4 or 5 chapters in, and I'm really struggling with the use of the first person, it's jarring.

It's next up for me, Heir to the Jedi is written in the same way and it's terrible. Yet I had to read it as it explained how Luke built a new sabre.

Which did you find the best? Looking to read a couple.

They have all been terrible except Dark Disciple so far. I have also bought the Canon vader graphic novel but that's for my son for xmas so can't read that yet :D Same with Darth Maul son of dathomir.

I'd like to hear a few suggestions too. Friend of mine mentioned Jedi's flying over a ground battle and using the force swipe away fighters below. That really wet my taste buds.

If we don't know Ventress and Quinlan Vos, is Dark Disciple a poor place to start?

I'd stick to anything that is new canon now purely because all that old stuff contradicts this story arc. It's early days so there isn't that much to read, I imagine they want this film out before they really get going with the characters. I use this link for canon stuff:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media#js

Just hide the stuff you aren't interested in, to get to just the novels. I buy the comics when they are all contained in one graphic novel. I can't be doing with 20 page comics. I tend to do the novels as audio books as the SW narrator is very good and they add sound effects etc. All of them are readily available.

I actually think Star Wars clone wars tv series is the best place to start, because it's canon and lot's of those you will be seeing again. It also explains so much like what it really meant for Anakin to bring balance to the force. It had nothing to be with being a Jedi and so on. Asaijj and Vos are from the clone wars series. Vos is mentioned as being away on a mission in Revenge of the Sith and is in the background of the TPM on tattoine.

I do think you could read the book though without knowing too much about them from the clone war series :) I have enjoyed it, but I would definitely say audiobook.

Soldato
One of the best books I've read is the official novelization of Revenge of the Sith. It was absolutely incredible, in-depth and shows you how much potential the movie had. The author had a fantastic way of explaining what the force is, which is something I always found inconsistent throughout Star Wars literature. Even Lucas himself seems to make it up as he goes along. How he depicted the relationship between Palpatine and Anakin and the very fine edge of what it means to go to the darkside was just brilliant, as was the deliberate and careful manipulative steps Palpatine took with regards to securing Anakin as his new apprentice. It was done with subtlety and not obvious "evil laugh" shallowness - you can actually really understand Anakin's position and how his love for his wife and their expected baby became such an Achilles heel, and at how his involvement with the Jedi Order was always going to fail.

Another good book was Darth Plagueis which I don't think is canon now, but it really explains, if read along with Revenge of the Sith, how Palpatine's rise to power came to be and who his master was, and ultimately, who Skywalker actually is.

Saying that though, I've not had a great relationship with SW books. I tend to find the vast majority of them to be incredibly boring and focus on things that have zero interest to me. And from what I've been hearing, the post Disney books are just as terrible.

Soldato
I haven't googled and I haven't read the books.

Going by your post, I'm gonna guess that 'Skywalker' is the virgin birth reincarnation/creation of Plagueis' force spirit (or whatever the hell it is) after his death.

Something along those lines. I'm sure you know what I mean, even though it's probably wrong.

Soldato
I haven't googled and I haven't read the books.

Going by your post, I'm gonna guess that 'Skywalker' is the virgin birth reincarnation/creation of Plagueis' force spirit (or whatever the hell it is) after his death.

Something along those lines. I'm sure you know what I mean, even though it's probably wrong.
Not quite, it was Plagueis' incredible insight into the darkside that allowed him to manipulate it so much he could create life (as we know from what Palpatine tells Anakin in RotS.) He, along with Palpatine who was his apprentice at the time, performed a ritual that manifested the darkside so much it gave birth to a being who would have an incredible connection to the force like no one before. There was a problem however and they couldn't locate where or who it was but they know they succeeded. It also adds more depth to Palpatine and Anakins first meeting at the end of TPM when he states "We'll watch your career with great interest."

Now it wasn't stated exactly that it was Anakin, however I think it's pretty obvious given that his mother spontaneously conceived him and it was around the same time.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's not quite as exciting, but it'll do :)

Still, you have to question his incredible insight, given that he was murdered by his own apprentice - Well, according to Palpatine's story anyway. Then again, he's got skills of his own, so perhaps it isn't that far fetched.

In the book, did he give a proper reason as to why he killed his master?

Soldato
The Bane trilogy, although it may or may not be canon anymore is a brilliant read. Some of the best stuff from the old EU and a great explantion why he came up with the rule of two. Bane and the rule of two is canon if not the exact story. :)

Well worth a read :)

+1

Thought the Bane trilogy was amazing, very dark which surprised me from a star wars book.

Soldato
Yeah if I remember correctly (it's been awhile since I read it) Plagueis was very much against the rule of two. He felt his predecessors were narrow minded and uncontrollable idiots and he carefully chose and trained Palpatine since he was a youth on Naboo because he was perfect for his overall plan of taking down the Republic from the inside.

As Palpatine became more powerful, unlike his master, he became more interested in the traditional ways of the Sith and despite going along with his master's Grand Plan, he thought the rule of two was right, and like all Sith, began scheming against his master.

I think, don't quote me on this, that Plagueis knew that Palpatine was obsessing over the traditional ways and that he was suspecting him of something. It was the night that he was elected Supreme Chancellor, not long after Anakin came on the scenes, that he killed his master in his sleep after he persuaded him to drink something in celebration of their victory which lowered his awareness.

Now I always believed that Plagueis' species lived for a thousand years or more, and so allowed him a massive perspective and an ability to scheme so far that it counted in the lifespan of Palpatine ruling, or at least not getting in the way, during his Grand Plan. So basically Palp ruling after the Republic didn't really matter so much because the human lifespan was fairly short. I also thought that this same mentality was what brought Plagueis down because being human made Palp much more volatile and unpredictable in his lust for power, something Plagueis didn't fully understand enough to predict his young apprentices actions.

However saying that, I'm a bit confused because while I believed that a Muun (Plagueis' species) lived for an incredibly long time, I saw something recently that said they live for 100 years or so. I could swear I've heard and read from different sources that Muun's live for ages. I think they may have changed it from the time I read the book - probably something to do with those bloody interfering cartoons which get their hands in everything and can't leave well enough alone.

Caporegime
Yeah I think the Muun lifespan has changed now the EU has been pushed aside. Just finished the dark disciple and I had no idea Lucas daughter was a writer for this. It was supposed to be a Clone Wars story arc but when it got canned it became a book instead. I didn't realise she was a writer on the Clone wars series. I also didn't know she was in each of the prequels.

About to start Lords of the Sith

Permabanned
Not quite, it was Plagueis' incredible insight into the darkside that allowed him to manipulate it so much he could create life (as we know from what Palpatine tells Anakin in RotS.) He, along with Palpatine who was his apprentice at the time, performed a ritual that manifested the darkside so much it gave birth to a being who would have an incredible connection to the force like no one before. There was a problem however and they couldn't locate where or who it was but they know they succeeded. It also adds more depth to Palpatine and Anakins first meeting at the end of TPM when he states "We'll watch your career with great interest."

That sounds so terrible that I'm suprised Lucas didnt put it in the films.

Back
Top Bottom