*** Starfield ***

Soldato
I wouldn't say the learning curve is steep but you do get used to certain dynamics along the way such as inventory management, travel mechanics etc. I'm about 12 hours into the game and still finding the best way to manage things to suit myself but I wouldn't call the game intimidating to new players.
You do pick perks at the very beginning and there's no way to change them after that, as for how that effects the game I can't really say - this is a big rpg so to find the, so called, best player config would I think require multiple playthroughs.

Hope you enjoy it when you get to start, it's scratching my space rpg itch so far and I can see myself putting a lot of hours into it :)
You can remove some perks at the medical centre. I got rid of the Alien DNA one I had which seemed useful before I started playing.

Soldato
You can remove some perks at the medical centre. I got rid of the Alien DNA one I had which seemed useful before I started playing.

Yep, and all perks are optional anyway so nothing game breaking really.

I’m not sure about the mortgage/house perk yet but the “visit your parents” type perk can be removed any time you go and visit them. Not sure what thr consequences are though!!

Soldato
I'm enjoying this so far. As McBain said, once you get used to the UI etc, it becomes more enjoyable. The graphics and level of detail are very good. 30 fps is a bit meh but I'm not sure 60 without the level of detail would be good either. It's games like this I wish I had a powerful PC.

I was expecting it to be more of a seamless experience like No Man's Sky but again, once you get used to the UI, it's not a massive issue.

Associate
My favourite part so far was when I broke away from the main story at a low level and discovered a huge underground abandoned warehouse chock full of pirates and loot. I eventually (after a few deaths) managed to clear the place of pirates and walked away with tonnes of weapons and loot.

Associate
I’m quite enjoying it so far. I’ve had a few crashes which were annoying.

I’m saving more often than any game I’ve ever played before, pretty much ever time I clear a room I save! Doesn’t help I can’t aim for toffee with a controller, I spend so much on med packs and trauma kits!

Also in dark combat areas I can’t seem the enemy sometimes to aim at them. Thankfully the companion does better than I do at killing most haha.

Soldato
I’m quite enjoying it so far. I’ve had a few crashes which were annoying.

I’m saving more often than any game I’ve ever played before, pretty much ever time I clear a room I save! Doesn’t help I can’t aim for toffee with a controller, I spend so much on med packs and trauma kits!

Also in dark combat areas I can’t seem the enemy sometimes to aim at them. Thankfully the companion does better than I do at killing most haha.
Hold left bumper for your torch

Associate
Hold left bumper for your torch
Thanks, I figured that out eventually, as I did adding the med packs to the d pad today which is much better easier! :)

But when I’m underground maps with lots of multi level platforms in the dark with people far off shooting I struggle to know where they are. I end up up looking at the mini map for the red dots and wandering that direction to find them >.<

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, I figured that out eventually, as I did adding the med packs to the d pad today which is much better easier! :)

But when I’m underground maps with lots of multi level platforms in the dark with people far off shooting I struggle to know where they are. I end up up looking at the mini map for the red dots and wandering that direction to find them >.<
I flicked my TV into cinema mode, that helped.

Soldato
Started this last night and played through the first 30 or so minutes of it. Was watching the tutorial boxes come up and trying to remember everything, but it seemed a lot to take in (especially when you are first chucked into space combat)......maybe I'm just getting old!!! :D The bit where the explanation of your ships systems and how to repair them was happening, I was also trying to not die whilst up against a Crimson Fleet ship so I missed half of it!!!

Is there a way to look at the tutorial parts somewhere again? I suppose I could ju8st watch some YouTube videos. The menus and interfaces seem a bit overwhelming at first too (star map stuff especially) but I guess its just going to be one of those games you really need to pay attention to and invest time to learn.

Other than that, impressed so far!!

Soldato
Started this last night and played through the first 30 or so minutes of it. Was watching the tutorial boxes come up and trying to remember everything, but it seemed a lot to take in (especially when you are first chucked into space combat)......maybe I'm just getting old!!! :D The bit where the explanation of your ships systems and how to repair them was happening, I was also trying to not die whilst up against a Crimson Fleet ship so I missed half of it!!!

Is there a way to look at the tutorial parts somewhere again? I suppose I could ju8st watch some YouTube videos. The menus and interfaces seem a bit overwhelming at first too (star map stuff especially) but I guess its just going to be one of those games you really need to pay attention to and invest time to learn.

Other than that, impressed so far!!

Yeah I had the same experience, switching between engine and shields, accidentally or on purpose :)

I’m sure it’s something you’ll get used to but seemed really fiddly

Associate
Booted this up last night for the first time and it was sluggish as hell on my XSX on the PC monitor. Moved it to the living room OLED and it was bareable but just not good enough at 30fps. Gonna wait till I have a new PC to play it I think

Back
Top Bottom