Steam Link and Steam Controller now available to Pre Order

Soldato
I'm not saying that this isn't good value for money but for me it's wasted because of the "missing" features for my "personal" needs.

My living room TV is a Sony SXRD 55" 1080p so I can live with the supported maximum resolution being 1080p 60fps.

However when mainstream 4K TV's become more affordable which they are starting to become then the 100Mb NIC will become a problem when streaming 4k even over wireless a/c as the maximum theoretical throughput I don't achieve due to brick walls in my Victorian styled house.

It's unknown what compression is being used at 1080p. I suspect there will be some graphical degradation, however I would love to see some before encoding and after decoding screenshots to see if the visual difference is worth crying over.

I have a 5.1 surround sound setup in my living room therefore I would benefit if it supports it either via toslink or hdmi.

USB 3.0 is for Corsair's RGB keyboard that uses either 2XUSB 2.0 or 1XUSB3.0. There is the option of using control pads but I would like to have the best of both Worlds (Steam Pad/XB1 and something like Corsair's Lapdog)

Are there any plans to integrate VOIP? I would like to use Teamspeak to communicate or listen to clans whilst gaming.

Will there be Steering wheel integration/3D Vision support?

Now I would gladly pay extra if the Steamlink box has these features as I know I will make use of them, it will then become a welcomed addition to any living room then.
I would be surprised if 4k exceed 54 mbps wifi speeds. Netflix 4k supposedly uses around 15 mbps and so roughly doubling for the extra frames then we are looking at 30 mbps. It should be stable so a good buffer of 10 mbps or so on top will do it. Just need a decent full wifi signal.

Caporegime
OP
I'm not saying that this isn't good value for money but for me it's wasted because of the "missing" features for my "personal" needs.

My living room TV is a Sony SXRD 55" 1080p so I can live with the supported maximum resolution being 1080p 60fps.

However when mainstream 4K TV's become more affordable which they are starting to become then the 100Mb NIC will become a problem when streaming 4k even over wireless a/c as the maximum theoretical throughput I don't achieve due to brick walls in my Victorian styled house.

It's unknown what compression is being used at 1080p. I suspect there will be some graphical degradation, however I would love to see some before encoding and after decoding screenshots to see if the visual difference is worth crying over.

I have a 5.1 surround sound setup in my living room therefore I would benefit if it supports it either via toslink or hdmi.

USB 3.0 is for Corsair's RGB keyboard that uses either 2XUSB 2.0 or 1XUSB3.0. There is the option of using control pads but I would like to have the best of both Worlds (Steam Pad/XB1 and something like Corsair's Lapdog)

Are there any plans to integrate VOIP? I would like to use Teamspeak to communicate or listen to clans whilst gaming.

Will there be Steering wheel integration/3D Vision support?

Now I would gladly pay extra if the Steamlink box has these features as I know I will make use of them, it will then become a welcomed addition to any living room then.

The Steam Link isn't trying to be the device you are describing. Your effectively asking why a calculator can't do everything a smartphone does!

The Steam Link doesn't do 4K. If they release one that does it will come with faster network connections.

It sounds like what you want is a SteamOS box, or even a fully fledged gaming PC. And there are loads of options for that. This might be of interest http://store.steampowered.com/steamos

Think of the Steam Link as the same as running HDMI and USB extension cables to your TV, nothing more.

Last edited:
Caporegime

I have to say I agree with Skeeter, a £40 streaming box isn't trying to be a cutting edge 4k/5.1/VOIP/3D gaming system, it wouldn't make sense to aim that high end. It's a first step into getting people PC gaming on their TVs and it's meant to be cheap to try and convert the masses to the idea.

Steam have no real idea if this will work of not. I doubt they want to pour millions into the device you describe without testing the water first.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I would be surprised if 4k exceed 54 mbps wifi speeds. Netflix 4k supposedly uses around 15 mbps and so roughly doubling for the extra frames then we are looking at 30 mbps. It should be stable so a good buffer of 10 mbps or so on top will do it. Just need a decent full wifi signal.

54Mb/s is the theoretical max for 802.11g, you're never going to get those speeds in reality.

Soldato
Pretty interested in both of them after having a look, means the gf will complain less when I want to play games :p

Will wait till its out though, its a pretty long pre-order so will wait for reviews before throwing £80 at it.

Caporegime
OP
I believe it's a reference you your apparent failure to read the first line of the post you quoted - the one that makes it clear he's not complaining it can't do those things, but explaining why his personal requirements mean it's not for him.

And he then goes on to say the reason why it's not for him is because it doesn't do a bunch of stuff it isn't designed to do anyway.

Saying a strawberry is crap because it isn't a raspberry is a rather pointless stance.

I even pointed out that he could make a device that does exactly what he wants, and linked him to some further reading too to help. But hey, sure, I'm the one being a ****.

:rolleyes:

Associate
And he then goes on to say the reason why it's not for him is because it doesn't do a bunch of stuff it isn't designed to do anyway.

Saying a strawberry is crap because it isn't a raspberry is a rather pointless stance.

I even pointed out that he could make a device that does exactly what he wants, and linked him to some further reading too to help. But hey, sure, I'm the one being a ****.

:rolleyes:

That's the point - he didn't complain about the things it doesn't do, at least by my reading - he was explaining why it's not aimed at him. The only part that might suggest otherwise was his suggestion that if there was a version with the extra features, even if it costs more, he might buy it.

If someone says "I am unlikely to buy raspberries because I like strawberries more" you wouldn't put in a big reply pointing out that they are actually quite different fruits, would you?

It's not really a case of anyone being a fourstar, it was just that your response appeared to be aimed at the wrong person (not that it wasn't informative).

Soldato
I just cant bring myself to care at all about steam hardware. The reason I use steam is because im a PC Gamer. Im a PC gamer because controllers are terrible.

It just feels like theyre turning PC gaming into Console gaming. Play on our boxes, with our controlers, using your TV.

No thanks :l Time would be better spent making those critically acclaimed games theyre famous for and then suddenly stopped making for no reason.

Soldato
I just cant bring myself to care at all about steam hardware. The reason I use steam is because im a PC Gamer. Im a PC gamer because controllers are terrible.

It just feels like theyre turning PC gaming into Console gaming. Play on our boxes, with our controlers, using your TV.

No thanks :l Time would be better spent making those critically acclaimed games theyre famous for and then suddenly stopped making for no reason.

Or you can use the keyboard and mouse.

Caporegime
OP
I wonder when company's will realize that gloss plastic needs to just go away and die in a hole somewhere.

1,000,000% this!

Steam link is Steam Streaming presented in a nice box for those whose TV's are too far away from the computer to connect via HDMI right?

Yep, or those whos GFs don't approve of trailing HDMI cables all the way across the house! :D

Back
Top Bottom