Stellaris - Paradox Interactive

Caporegime
I still enjoy Stellaris but I started a game as a race of Xenophobes who want to enslave/purge all alien races.

A reasonable start on my last game but all of my neighbours are now in a federation, so I can't attack anyone without going to war with about 10 nations at once. GG expansion!

They need to add some options for developing the stations/planets more I think, in EU4 you can dump extra monarch points/gold into improving provinces/buildings, I think Stellaris may benefit from such a system as well.

My biggest bug bear at the moment is that during war an enemy fleet can swoop in and destroy a planets space station before you can react, which is a right pain and they take ages to rebuild. Defense stations seem weak and you can't chain them near each other either, feels like localised planet defense is hard.

Tbink is you've basicaly became the nazis and are complaing rhe allies have ganged up on you :p

Defenxe stations need to be upgradable too

Permabanned
Yeah it's hard to purge an entire galaxy.

I can't even get this 2 planet faction guy to capitulate even though I've had control of his planets for 50 years, all because the rest of his federation buddies are other side of the galaxy :rolleyes:

in EU4 you can dump extra monarch points/gold into improving provinces/buildings,

You can, but I don't think you're supposed to ;)

Besides if there's no advances to be made I'll just terraform all the crap planets in the territory.

Soldato
Hi Guys thinking of picking this up tomorrow for a birthday treat, loved Moo2 and hated HOI3 so I'm undecided. The reviews seems to says it's not as involved as hoi what do you think?

Associate
I picked this up on a bit of a whim. I got fed up with raging on WoT, and I couldn't seem to get back onto E.D. I've always liked this type of game, but never really stuck with it. Civ 4 was last I tried.
I really enjoy this at the mo. Probably because I'm learning loads of new concepts. A lot of people have said this game should grow and improve over time. But I can't compare it to anything else.

Permabanned
Hi Guys thinking of picking this up tomorrow for a birthday treat, loved Moo2 and hated HOI3 so I'm undecided. The reviews seems to says it's not as involved as hoi what do you think?

It's rather simple for a Paradox game. I was expecting to have to watch videos etc but it was very 'plug and play' for me.

But then I suppose EUIV was before they bolted on half a dozen DLC packages.

Anyway if you liked Master of Orion you'll like this.

Associate
I have put maybe 10 hours into this, I have started about 4 games though instead of playing one through to completion so I cant comment much on the mid-endgame. I think the furthest I got was about 200years in and I would say that I was just beginning the mid-game.

I'm not sure I like the random research options...sometimes I just never get anything that I really need...like being stuck on corvettes or never getting the right research to remove a tile blocker. A good example is I tried my 3rd game to be a war-like race and just because of a lack of decent research for shiptech/colonization options/etc I actually found myself struggling to get anywhere against the AI.

It is bloomin slow to play as well, which seems like a weird thing to say about an RTS. I came from playing Endless Space which is a TBS and that feels much faster.

Oh and I would deffo prefer if you only needed one colonization ship per system, not per planet!

Overall I did like it though!

Soldato
I got fed up with raging on WoT, and I couldn't seem to get back onto E.D. I've always liked this type of game, but never really stuck with it.

Dont start me. WoT is not a game any more. Is pure distilled frustration.

if I want frustration I would rather have another few hour at work than play WoT. I will be more relaxed at the end.

----

Soldato
You can switch to different governement that allows more research picks.

There are also technologies that increase your options.

Plus, your picks don't reset until you complete a tech, so if you see two techs in the pool that you really want or need you can research one for a couple of months then switch to the other. All partially completed techs are added to your options, so the one you started but didn't finish will remain available until you are ready to complete it.

Soldato
Thanks.

Is there a quick way to tell where I've built mining and research stations? The galaxy map gets a bit clustered and I lose track of where I've built my stations. Surely there's an easier way than having to trawl through all the systems?

Also, in order to expand my borders I need to build observation stations in systems where I want to build. When my borders open up, can I just disband the station? Is there an advantage to that?

Permabanned
Is there a quick way to tell where I've built mining and research stations?

Click a constructor and go galaxy overview. It'll tell you what starsystem have what resources and if the numbers are in green then you've already got some stations there.

Also, in order to expand my borders I need to build observation stations in systems where I want to build. When my borders open up, can I just disband the station? Is there an advantage to that?

I think you have to have a colony if you want to dispand the station. Alternatively you can throw down a sector over it and get rid of the maintenance cost (I think).

Soldato
Ok, I'm after more help. :o

I've created all the mining and research stations that I can. I can't colonise any more as everything is outwith my borders. I have 24 destroyers and I think I need to start taking some territory by force because I have no influence to build outposts.

If I declare war, I get annhialated. How do I start eating little chunks?

Soldato
Ok, I'm after more help. :o

I've created all the mining and research stations that I can. I can't colonise any more as everything is outwith my borders.

I'll stop you right there. This is a common mistake made by newbie players. You can only build stations inside your borders, frontier outposts and wormholes excluded, but there's no such restriction on colonisation.

Soldato
I'll stop you right there. This is a common mistake made by newbie players. You can only build stations inside your borders, frontier outposts and wormholes excluded, but there's no such restriction on colonisation.

I didn't realise that, cheers.

Having sank another few hours in, I can't believe how addictive this game is! I've got my first sector up and running and have maxed out my fleet at 62 ships. I'm going to build up my armies now and focus on another sector.

I can smell war coming soon... What kind of military might should I be aiming for?

Soldato
I didn't realise that, cheers.

Having sank another few hours in, I can't believe how addictive this game is! I've got my first sector up and running and have maxed out my fleet at 62 ships. I'm going to build up my armies now and focus on another sector.

I can smell war coming soon... What kind of military might should I be aiming for?

Depends on who you are fighting, look at their military rating if they're superior to you then you obviously need to build more and tech up. You can mouse over the military rating and see exactly how you compare with numbers, & tech, etc.

Don't even attempt to annoy a fallen empire, they will pound you into space dust in a few turns.

Back
Top Bottom