• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sudden GPU temp spike on 4070 TI

Associate
Hey there,

Been happily running a Asus TUF 4070 TI in my system.

Today, I started a new game for the first time (the rumoured crappy-but-so-crappy-it's-good "Wanted: Dead"), and something occured that I've never seen before: my GPU, for just a few seconds, instantly shot to 83 degrees, fans on full blast, instantly thermal throttling. It's the first time I've ever seen this behavior, and something that i cannot replicate again on subsequent launches.

I thought my card might be broken, so I ran the following tests:
  • OCCT 3D standard test: 78-79 degrees, 30 minutes, no errors
  • Furmark: 75 degrees
  • Superposition benchmarks: 3 or 4 runs, nothing out of the ordinary
  • Cyberpunk Path Tracing: Let it sit for 30 minutes on a busy intersection, 99% GPU usage: 70-72 degrees
  • Alan Wake Path Tracing: Let it sit in the forest section of the game for 15 minutes: 99% GPU usage, 70-72 degrees
What can be the cause of this weird spike? Am I being too concerned?

Man of Honour
A few possibilities:
- a menu or load screen that had no frame limit applied to it
- something that used the GPU for compute
- some kind of bug with a DRM

Associate
OP
Forcing vsync in nvidia panel, always, so it should not go overboard.

Do you think this is cause for concern? I cannot replicate, all the other tests come up okay, and I've just let it sit for 30 minutes in Cyberpunk, full path tracing, 99% usage, hovering about 70 degrees.

I've also checked the delta between my temp and hot spot temp during a run of Superposition Benchmark, and that is okay as well (15 degrees delta, same results as I had half a year ago).

Ease this troubled mind, please :)

Associate
Forcing vsync in nvidia panel, always, so it should not go overboard.

Do you think this is cause for concern? I cannot replicate, all the other tests come up okay, and I've just let it sit for 30 minutes in Cyberpunk, full path tracing, 99% usage, hovering about 70 degrees.

I've also checked the delta between my temp and hot spot temp during a run of Superposition Benchmark, and that is okay as well (15 degrees delta, same results as I had half a year ago).

Ease this troubled mind, please :)
just go in nvidia control panel and ,anually set a max fps, should stop it happening anywhere else as i thinkl the same thing is what was killing gpus when new world came out

Back
Top Bottom