Surface Book Performance Base vs Kaby Lake XPS 15

Soldato
OP
I7
16gb
512gb ssd
Qhd+ screen

Could have picked up that spec in the xps13 today on the Dell outlet site for 1107.

I just can't bring myself to buy it knowing that I would hate the dual core and lack of dedicated graphics fingerprint scanner etc!

What on earth is wrong with me?

Soldato
I7
16gb
512gb ssd
Qhd+ screen

Could have picked up that spec in the xps13 today on the Dell outlet site for 1107.

I just can't bring myself to buy it knowing that I would hate the dual core and lack of dedicated graphics fingerprint scanner etc!

What on earth is wrong with me?

You're an OcUK member. That's what is wrong with you, you colossal tech nerd. Embrace it.

Soldato
OP
You're an OcUK member. That's what is wrong with you, you colossal tech nerd. Embrace it.

LOL, genuinely made me chuckle!

So in typical OcUK fashion I have asked for the best but settled for average.

Ended up ordering the XPS 13 at £1107

Shoot me now

E:
Jakspyder I'm taking that quote as my signature as it pretty much sums me up right now and made me laugh, hope you don't mind!

Last edited:
Associate
I've got the Surface Book i7/16Gb/512Gb and have ordered the new XPS 15.

I use the SB in tablet mode a lot, for reading online magazines and general surfing on the sofa. Having two batteries means it also lasts for ages at full brightness too. I'm getting the XPS for programming and virtualization tasks when I'm on the road, plus the 1050 GPU should run some games.

On the SB, don't underestimate the convenience of Windows Hello and the screen is almost OLED quality. If I didn't need to do more heavyweight work, I'd be happy sticking with the SB.

I've also had a MacBook Pro 15" and 13" through work, but the latest models are overpriced for what they are so I wouldn't buy one myself.

Soldato
LOL, genuinely made me chuckle!

So in typical OcUK fashion I have asked for the best but settled for average.

Ended up ordering the XPS 13 at £1107

Shoot me now

E:
Jakspyder I'm taking that quote as my signature as it pretty much sums me up right now and made me laugh, hope you don't mind!

I have also done the same, bought XPS13 9360 from the outlet for £1107 using the voucher (and tried 3.3% quidco too).

I was going to buy the Surface Book with similar specs, but that is about £2300. Can't justify paying double!

Soldato
OP
I have also done the same, bought XPS13 9360 from the outlet for £1107 using the voucher (and tried 3.3% quidco too).

I was going to buy the Surface Book with similar specs, but that is about £2300. Can't justify paying double!

Awesome! When is yours coming?

Mines scheduled for tuesday, already got my D-Brand skin coming as well. Looking forward to it!

Last edited:
Soldato
Awesome! When is yours coming?

Mines scheduled for tuesday, already got my D-Brand skin coming as well. Looking forward to it!

By Wednesday apparently (although it has been years since I ordered from the Dell outlet, so can't remember if the tracking is accurate). Have literally just ordered a DB skin too, went for matte black top + trackpad!

Soldato
OP
By Wednesday apparently (although it has been years since I ordered from the Dell outlet, so can't remember if the tracking is accurate). Have literally just ordered a DB skin too, went for matte black top + trackpad!

Haha great minds and all that jazz :D

Can't remember what I went for, carbon something or other. Will get a surprise when it comes, thats for sure!

Soldato
OP
My tracker now says 7th of Feb. Not happy, may just cancel mine too.

Jakspyder how did you manage to order the fingerprint scanner? I was told it's not available till 2nd week of Feb?

Soldato
OP
Fair enough.

I've just had a look again as I wanted to call them and see why it was taking so long and it has now been dispatched! No idea how long it will take (tracking isn't working so assume its relatively recent) but will see how it goes.

Associate
My new XPS 15 turned up on Monday. The great thing about it is that it can be charged via the USB-C port from my USB hub, so no more power brick required. The Surface still requires a proprietary power connection.

My previous generation XPS 15, issued by work, cannot charge in the same way.

Soldato
The last gen XPS15 had issues with USB-C charging.

I don't have a USB-C charging capable hub so i'll have to look into that for my desk at home.

I assume the provided power cable is faster for charging however?

Otherwise really enjoying mine!

Was meant to arrived wednesday but the courier said they couldnt get access (funny because id been sat with my nose poking out the letterbox since 6am!) they didnt even try, and the depot were useless over the phone.

At least it came the next day lol, super happy!

Back
Top Bottom