Taking the plunge to Hard Tubing! (Help)

Associate
So, did my first loop a few months ago and bored already, finally able to get the tools and hard tubing to upgrade the system!

My questions are

1:What tubing am I going for? I don't see the fittings listed on here ATM but in my past orders they come up as "Monsoon 1611mm (ID 716 OD 58) Free Center Compression Fitting Six Pack - Blue"

No hard tubing seems to be 16/11 so I ASSUME I need 16/12? (Given it's not going to stretch over the fittings). HELP: Does the width of the tubing matter all that much when temps come into play? Will I have better temps with wider (16mm (OD)) tubing or, can I use the smaller (12mm (OD)) and get the same results?

2: Are I still able to use compression fittings? ANSWER: GOING TO CHANGE FITTING TO EK-HDC's

3: Any tips and tricks to tightening the fittings at all? ANSWER: EK-HDC's (I'v over tighented my current ones but research has shown me I have over tighten mine out of fear)

I have a heatgun already and was looking at Easy Bend Toolkit by XSPC, other then that, I just need tubing, right?

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Associate
1:What tubing am I going for? I don't see the fittings listed on here ATM but in my past orders they come up as "Monsoon 1611mm (ID 716 OD 58) Free Center Compression Fitting Six Pack - Blue"
No hard tubing seems to be 16/11 so I ASSUME I need 16/12? (Given it's not going to stretch over the fittings.

this one confuses me a bit on occasion. I think some of them are imperial some metric and it just doesnt quite match up. I effectively said fek all that and used EK fittings an tubing so they would match up.

as for size... kinda up to yerself. I used 13/10mm cos i like the narrow pipes.

2: Are I still able to use compression fittings?

All hard line are compression fittings. Specific to hardline i believe but i could be wrong about that. lolling hard at the idea of hardline barbs even though im 99% sure thats not what you where on about :D

3: Any tips and tricks to tightening the fittings at all?

I have a heatgun already and was looking at Easy Bend Toolkit by XSPC, other then that, I just need tubing, right?

Do yerself a favor and dont get that kit. its a fekking nightmare, ive yet to see one person get on with it. Heres a wee excerpt from my last build thread and this very kit

So I measured, marked off and cut my first piece of PETG. The XSPC pipe cutter made short work of it. Smashing. Off to a space to wet the rubber (oh matron!) and get the bending rubber into the pipe. 15 mins later, lots of soapy water and silicon spray later I lost my **** complacently! this just does not fit!!! It's to big for the available space (that's what she said :cool: )

so got a ruler out.... it looks like the rubber bending hose is about 11.2mm...... well thats not much use its advertised as 10mm OD. Well ****.

So messaged the OCUK folks via webforms. Discussing that now but in the mean time came in tonight and hit it with some calipers.

xkvCWJ7l.jpg

yeeeep. that aint gonna fit.

aaaaaarg!

I've not redone my own piping yet due to a sudden and irritating lack of funds but i was looking at getting this Monsoon kit... then OCUK stopped stocking them... ive already got a gun but.... fek it :p I'm sure there's still some somewhere out there.... unless a OCUK staffer wants to tell me they are coming back in :D

the only other thing i would say is on occasion i have issues getting the outer fitting off and end up pulling the pipe through. when that happens i end up unscrewing the whole fekin' thing off whatever G1/4 thread it was in. Then take a small piece of rubber and pair of pliers to the G1/4 end and clamp down firmly but gently and turn the compression part by hand. so aye get yerself a wee sheet of rubber

also, PETG over arcrylic!

hopefully you will find this more a help than a hindrance :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So the internal diameter of tubing is all the same? I'v not looked at hard tubing because well, you know... It's my first loop, it's super messy and wanna make it nice and tidy. Still going to use a flexy tube to empty loop though unless I can get fancy.

Associate
So the internal diameter of tubing is all the same? I'v not looked at hard tubing because well, you know... It's my first loop, it's super messy and wanna make it nice and tidy. Still going to use a flexy tube to empty loop though unless I can get fancy.

I actually went hard for this loop, my first in over a decade! its just not that hard (Pun intended!) all you really need to do is get about 3 times as many pipes as you think you need. that was my mistake!

oddly enough to my mind is I/D does not matter. yes you can get parger ones but i dont think it made a massive difference in temps. One of the mroe experienced guys will probability tell me im wrong there but ive not seen anyone yell "THOU SHALT USE 13MM I/D FOR IT IS GOOD". So mainly it seems to be an aesthetic thing and to a lesser degree a downside is you will need more fluid for yer loop.

have a peek at some of these. Most of my own build ideas are similar to hotline actually

Bitwit - Hotline
Jayztwocents - Skunkworks
Jaysztwocents - General Watercooling vids
Pauls Hardware - Arctic Panther

as for flex for the drain, ive done the same thing myself!

B26avBpl.jpg S0FS97ll.jpg

One barb fit, hiding in the cable backing of my Define S. So whip off the back plate, hook up a hose like a catheter and turn the ball valve. Oh yeah and release a rez plug :p

Associate
Associate
OP
Just want to confirm as I don't want to buy the wrong parts

I use: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/mons...enter-compression-fitting-blue-wc-043-mo.html

I'm looking to buy this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/mons...2-x-5-8-16mm-4-pack-clear-4x24-wc-215-mo.html

or in blue: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/mons...x-5-8-16mm-4-pack-uv-blue-4x24-wc-212-mo.html (Liquid will be blue either way)

Are there any comparability issues? (Sorry for needing confirmation, dyslexic with a slight bit of stupid in there)

Associate
Just want to confirm as I don't want to buy the wrong parts

I use: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/mons...enter-compression-fitting-blue-wc-043-mo.html

I'm looking to buy this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/mons...2-x-5-8-16mm-4-pack-clear-4x24-wc-215-mo.html

or in blue: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/mons...x-5-8-16mm-4-pack-uv-blue-4x24-wc-212-mo.html (Liquid will be blue either way)

Are there any comparability issues? (Sorry for needing confirmation, dyslexic with a slight bit of stupid in there)

The compression fittings you linked are for a different size tubing. You need fittings for 16/12 tubing.

I would recommend EK-HDC fittings and EK PETG or Acrylic tube. Research both to see which you prefer as they are slightly different.

No, I don't work for EK.

Associate
I'm in the same boat as you, just swapping from "Soft" to hard tubing ... already being a bit of a pain!

Personally I would go for the clear tube, not the blue. At least that way you have the option to change the colours in the future if you ever want a change. With the blue tube, you're kinda stuck with blue forever!

Cheers, Ori

Associate
Stay away from the Monsoon compression fittings, they're awful and require UV curing fluid to harden them up only to have the collars be obliterated after a few months use. Get yourself some nice EK HDC fittings as they are superb at locking in and are very secure :)

Associate
OP
The compression fittings you linked are for a different size tubing. You need fittings for 16/12 tubing.

I would recommend EK-HDC fittings and EK PETG or Acrylic tube. Research both to see which you prefer as they are slightly different.

No, I don't work for EK.

Everything I have ATM is EK, no issues going with them. The HDC fittings look nice in my opinion.. The only problem swapping over is the right amount isn't in stock here. I only originally got my current Compression Fittings because of the looks, no idea what I was buying at the time!

As for tubing, does inner diameter matter ?

I'm in the same boat as you, just swapping from "Soft" to hard tubing ... already being a bit of a pain!

Personally I would go for the clear tube, not the blue. At least that way you have the option to change the colours in the future if you ever want a change. With the blue tube, you're kinda stuck with blue forever!

Cheers, Ori

Why has it been an issue for you so far? I was going for clear tubing, that's what was in stock so just added it to the wishlist to remind myself what I was buying.

Stay away from the Monsoon compression fittings, they're awful and require UV curing fluid to harden them up only to have the collars be obliterated after a few months use. Get yourself some nice EK HDC fittings as they are superb at locking in and are very secure :)

I only got them for the looks on my first build. Didn't actually know what I was buying but people said they would work :D

Associate
Why has it been an issue for you so far? I was going for clear tubing, that's what was in stock so just added it to the wishlist to remind myself what I was buying.

I made the mistake of getting the XSPC fitting kit before your post was here with the feedback. The feedback that I had read all seemed "ok". Suffice to say that the feedback above it correct. No amount of washing-up liquid, olive oil or explosives would get that insert to fit inside the EKWB 10mm ID PETG tube that I've got. It's only marginally too big, but the best I could do was about 1 inch! I've gone ahead and ordered the EKWB one now out of frustration.

The other thing I forgot was to add compression fittings (I got the EK-HDC ones) for the ball valve assembly for the drain. So I got 2 each for the 2 x Radiators, Pump, GFX and CPU, but forgot that I would need them to attach to the valve too.

I ordered extra tube to allow for inevitable screw-ups and had a quick test last night (as it only arrived yesterday). That part seems easy enough, the PETG becomes pliable quicker than I thought too.

It will take me a while before I can get started with my build as I am now waiting for more stuff to arrive. The added problem is that I had to move to work in Spain, and OCUK won't deliver out here anymore :(.

I'll follow your progress closely :D

Associate
OP
After looking around and doing a ton of research, I'v come to the conclusion that I will want rotary fittings almost everywhere...

Can anyone comment on that at all? Other then picking the fittings out to purchase, think I know everything thats needed other then does the tubing width matter THAT much ?

Associate
Back
Top Bottom