Tap. Pay. UK. - Android Pay in the UK

Soldato
Maybe I just got lucky but:

If you set up android pay IE add a card but don't use it, after a week they offer you a free £10 play store credit if you use it once and the credit is instant.

Permabanned
I still don't trust this sort of things, I don't even like the contactless on my Debit card. I used a few weeks ago and got charged twice at the shop for £25. Took over a week for it to return.

Man of Honour
If I dropped my card on the street anyone could use it for multiple £30 contactless transactions. But if I dropped my phone they would need to unlock it before they could do that. I think phone is actually more secure because of this. If I'm out walking out on my bike and know my purchases will be shall (coffee etc) then I leave my card at home.

Last edited:
Soldato
If I dropped my card on the street anime could use it for multiple £30 contactless transactions. But if I dropped my phone they would need to unlock it before they could do that. I think phone is actually more secure because of this. If I'm out walking out on my bike and know my purchases will be shall (coffee etc) then I leave my card at home.

I didn't know you could set Pay to only work if you unlock your phone? I just wake my screen.

barclays just needs screen on for it to work, but there's a setting to make it more secure, be unlocked, require pin etc

i can make many many transactions without needing to reenter my pin, however there may be a limit per hour etc until they are blocked, but that's the same with cards any way.

phones are far more secure, and better because you actually see the total amount come up on your phone.

i rarely carry my wallet around with me now because of contactless payments. it's worth jumping on board one day

Man of Honour
I've now been a long term user of both Android and Samsung Pay. I've also used banking apps with built in contactless pay like Barclays Pay and Amex Pay.

The latter all work flawlessly, but of course are really limited in features, so a bit pointless really.

I have noticed that with Android Pay, if I use a card not taken by the store I'm in, the PDQ will state that the card is not supported. If I use Samsung Pay and use the same card, it just declines the transaction. Obviously this really only applies to Amex usage as not everywhere takes it. It's just a bit strange how SP doesn't relay the card being used to the PDQ the same way AP does I found.

I also found that AP, whilst it has a set default card for all contactless payments unless you load the app and "open" another card up, it will remember the last card you had "open" and use that unless you click back to go back to the card selection screen.

So if I was paying by debit card which is not my default card, and I just click the home button to go to the homescreen, AP is still in the background with the debit card open. So when my phone goes to sleep and I'm in another store, I wake the screen up to pay, it uses the debit card instead of the default card.

Anyone else noticed these quirks?

Associate
android pay will change name to Google pay as it merged with Google Wallet and Android pay that make into one name as Google Pay -- it will soon change when update from Google Play..

Soldato
Weird thing happened today, put my S8+ up to a terminal to pay and the phone vibrated quite a few times before actually going through for payment.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Back
Top Bottom